BUGATTI T46 "Surprofilée" 1:8

Thanks for the info Dan. I have some 50/50 and 60/40 along with a liquid flux in a needle point applicatior bottle. Yeah, it's the American Beauty with the tweezer hand set. It should work well with my upcoming project in the next week or so. 

You're doing a great job of redoing this Bugatti and elevating with your scratch work!

Edited by larchiefeng
Spelling

HI Keith, I solder now with silver solder paste for jewelers

I use the MK3 set from Cookson-Claal: http://www.cookson-clal.com/materiel-bijouterie/Distributeur-manuel-de-brasure-modle-MK3-avec-1-seringue-Pte-Argent-prcode-999-CIG

999_CIG__12.jpg

With a Proxxon Torch which heat until 1200°c

Soft soldering is now devoted to temporary assemblies.

• Like 1

Good information about the soldering paste. This is an interesting applicator too. I have a couple of torches and a regular soldering iron along with the resistance soldering station so, I have a few options depending on what and where I'm going to solder something. Oh, BTW, my name is Wayne if you were directing that to me. Thanks to both of you for the info.

w

• Like 1

5 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

Good information about the soldering paste. This is an interesting applicator too. I have a couple of torches and a regular soldering iron along with the resistance soldering station so, I have a few options depending on what and where I'm going to solder something. Oh, BTW, my name is Wayne if you were directing that to me. Thanks to both of you for the info.

w

Sorry Wayne for my mistake...I just achieved to rectify my post.

The advantage of the soldering paste is that you apply it with a syringe needle, and so you use very few product (fortunately, because it's rather expansive), ad so you get a very clean welding.

It remains very few work later to clean the surfaces, and the wekding is extremely strong.

As far a s I know, it is possible to solder aluminium too.

A drawback however:

- the high temperature needed: 630°C, so the brass or copper is annealed and loose partially its mechanical strenght...For us, modelers of sttatic models, it's not a big problem.

- It turn ewpansive if you want to solder large pieces

The MK3 kit costs almost 82 €

The paste syringe almost 33 €

• Like 1

I can see a use for it where you really need the strength of a silver solder joint but, as you point out the heat required to melt it wouldn't do anything adjacent to it any good. The cost and getting it here in the States is a bit of a factor as well but, using a soldering paste in general might be a good idea. Put the paste on the joint and then hit the area with the resistance soldering probe and it's done without much of a mess. 

Thanks Thierry, you have given me some good ideas. 

Dan, sorry, I didn't mean to high jack your thread and I appreciate both of you sharing your techniques and materials that you use to make all those wonderful little scratch built brass pieces.

• Like 1

Don't worry Wayne, you are welcome!

And sorry too to you, I use standard flux for plumbing (DIY) with a tip of trace as applicator...

Unfortunately, I don't really understand the use of silver soldering for static models! Sorry CrazyCranck.

The best material, for micro silver soldering, made in France (Yeah!):

https://www.multirex.net/micro-chalumeau-2800,fr,4,200024.cfm 

Well, first many thanks to CrazyCrank which me discover the protective (or protection?) plates on

the Bugatti's chassis! Thanks also to Mister Windgroove, it's his technical solution for the louvres:

491729DSC0004.jpg

672335DSC0007.jpg

949917DSC0008.jpg

Dan.

• Like 2

Dan, out of curiosity, which Wingrove book was the louvres in? I kinda remember reading that he had acquired some little machine with a die that allowed him to make the louvred panels. I'd like to go back and read about a different method. Both of you guys are really elevating the Pocher Bugatti with each of your builds. I'm selling mine!

w

4 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

I can see a use for it where you really need the strength of a silver solder joint but, as you point out the heat required to melt it wouldn't do anything adjacent to it any good. The cost and getting it here in the States is a bit of a factor as well but, using a soldering paste in general might be a good idea. Put the paste on the joint and then hit the area with the resistance soldering probe and it's done without much of a mess. 

Thanks Thierry, you have given me some good ideas. 

Dan, sorry, I didn't mean to high jack your thread and I appreciate both of you sharing your techniques and materials that you use to make all those wonderful little scratch built brass pieces.

Don't mean to hijack either Dan, but Wayne, if you're interested -  you have an excellent supply business for paste solder in the US - check out Rio Grande Jewelry  https://www.riogrande.com/

Parry, thanks. It looks like a good variety for different uses and temperature melting points. I actually got inspired to go pull out my Wingrove books and I found a lot of answers to my questions in there. When I first bought the books I wasn't doing much scratch building of anything and a lot of it went right over my head. Now, I can appreciate it and understand the process better and it makes what Dan and Thierry's doing more interesting. As much as I enjoy the builds, I really like the process and how it's done.

• Like 1

Thank you Roy...

Today, I'm sure you will understand why I have worked on the gearbox:

644921DSC0003.jpg

741906DSC0004.jpg

179923DSC0007.jpg

172806DSC0009.jpg

Front shock absorbers also:

537819DSC0012.jpg

299386DSC0013.jpg

978201DSC0016.jpg

Parts... Hand brake and the shifter will be chromed:

308520DSC0001.jpg

761975DSC00031.jpg

841164DSC0002.jpg

Milling in the mass...

975703DSC0008.jpg

So, I'm tired of the mechanics, I'am going to the bodywork!
It appears some work is needed, the yellow one is the real car...

842456Capturedecran20170325a174650.png

Thanks for looking!

Dan.

• Like 5

Beautiful work on the mechanics and the shift lever and e-brake! Even though the differences on the body are subtle and not readily apparent at first glance they, are pretty substantial if you are planning on undertaking a full correction. This is going to be a lot of cutting and body work to make the necessary corrections. How far are you planning on going? 

As far as I can larchiefeng!

First step a piece of wood. To stiffen the structure and also to rectify the curvature of the hood :

839536DSC0002.jpg

788649DSC0003.jpg

Done...

587423DSC0005.jpg

Now, new angle. The choice is 32°, let's go!

664923DSC0006.jpg

146344DSC0007.jpg

229490DSC0009.jpg

Surgery on the door too...

731204DSC0010.jpg

And the partial result:

308724DSC0013.jpg

The new firewall is coming too...

199540DSC0004.jpg

Dan.

• Like 5

Well, you are a dare devil. Courageous to put the chainsaw into this body. Will lead to an enormous amount of work later on to get everything fitting again.

Thanks Poul, I agree with you some work is needed...

Work on the body, some piece of wood too, of course!

577128DSC0001.jpg

424115DSC0003.jpg

Why, for the doors:

637652DSC00011.jpg

994159DSC0002.jpg

Doors, but Bugatti's doors!

In the real life:

976212984.jpg

I agree, we can done more simple, french people you know...

In 1/8 scale, mine:

123532DSC00031.jpg

Dan.

• Like 5

This is some brave work on the roof line and doors. It really takes guts to start cutting up a Bugatti body and embarking these types of modifications! However, after having seen your work so far, I'm sure that you are more than up to the task. It's very entertaining watching your work and following your thought process on how you go about making the changes. I especially liked the pie cut on the roof and then drawing it down enough to get the correct angle on the roof. This is some good stuff!

Nothing like building the whole interior structure from scratch. Oak is pretty hard wood but, at least it will hold up and give you a solid platform. The body is looking very good and will be well worth the effort when completed.Even though, you and Thierry are working on the Bugattis and Codger his Rolls, these builds all give me good ideas and ways to deal with some of the challenges of the F40; it all translates! Great work!

I'm in awe with what you are doing here.

You show it to us as if it is the simplest thing to do.

A wooden frame for the interior. Who would have thought. Amazing!