Dornier Do 17 interiors

Graham Boak

A little belatedly (if not by my standards) I'm starting the Airfix Do 17Z, and I may pick some other Do 17 kits out of the stash at the same time.  Airfix specify Humbrol 27 for all interiors, unless I've missed something, but I'm pretty sure we can do better than that.  I'm thinking that the cockpit will have been RLM 66 (probably) and other interiors RLM 02.  The cockpit might have been RLM 02, and that's what I'd suggest for the older Airfix Do 17F.  Comments please.

I'm convinced that all Dornier 17s (even the early variants) were RLM66 in the cockpit. There was a very interesting discussion on Hyperscale some time ago. This conclusion was drawn based on the emergence of some documents specifying the colour for the cockpit of the Do 17E.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1280856220/1/Setting+the+cat+amongst+the+pigeons-+Early+Luftwaffe+colors+(LONG+post)

No reason to believe the cockpits were ever 02. The discussion did imply that early variants might have been painted silver on the inside (all parts except cockpit), rather than 02. But 66 in the cockpit and 02 for the other interior parts seems the most logical choice for a 17Z.

Edited by elger
  • Like 4

Wow! Who'd a thunk it? But, after clicking on elger's link, the evidence is there in the old manuals that were issued for the Do 17Z. While some of the designations will need even more research; it is fairly clear that the Do 17Z's cockpit was painted RLM 66. Earlier marks may have been silver or silver grey. I have made the necessary change to the instructions for the Airfix Do 17Z(a nice gem of a kit it is, too). Now to determine what the early versions of the Bf 109 were inside and out! But, that is a different thread.

Hi, everyone,

It looks pretty conclusive. The only thing I would be aware of (before reaching for my Alclad paints) is that "Silbergrau" might not exactly be a "grayish silver" or even a "matt silver" but something of a grey, even with a hint of green. Metal parts in the nose of WWI planes were not painted in Silbergrau?

Fernando

Edited by Fernando

• 3 years later...

I couldn't follow the link in this conversation but I have a similar question on the Do17z. If the cockpit was rlm66 and elsewhere the aircraft interior was rlm 02, where does the demarcation fall - does cockpit mean the whole of the front end, including the gondola back to the start of the bomb bay? 

Hello!

Oberflächenschutz Do 17
(Do N 1683 Ausgabe 2)

"Führerraum bis Spant 7 mit allen Einbauten"
"1 x DKH Einschichtmetalllack schwarzgrau Ton 66 Nr. 432 spritzen"

Cockpit (everything) up to fuselage frame 7 painted schwarzgrau (NB no capital letter in the original). I am several hundred kilometers from my books so cannot help with the fuselage frame 7 location right now. Had this tidbit in a e-mail from a friend.

Cheers,

Kari

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kari Lumppio said:

Cockpit (everything) up to fuselage frame 7 painted schwarzgrau (NB no capital letter in the original). I am several hundred kilometers from my books so cannot help with the fuselage frame 7 location right now.

If you refer to Valiant Wings Airframe Detail No. 2 "The Dornier Do 17Z" page 18 there is a nice picture looking forward in the cockpit showing the area ahead of the frame at the forward observer/gunner's seat in darker colour. I assume RLM66. This is the same frame just ahead of the radio mast. I can confirm this as frame (German "spant")  7. The padded protrusion) is the base of the DF Loop

For my BoB I intend to paint everything ahead of frame 7 RLM 66 and the remainder RLM 02.

Great book by the way, I think worth investing in for the Do 17Z.

Do_17Z_Interior_1

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1