Classic Kits: Airfix Ju 52 1/72 out of box built

Oh that is very nice indeed.

This was 'my' first ever build as a kid in the 60's. It was actually my dad who glued it together. He asked me how I wanted it done and remember asking for the Swiss option on floats!

C'mon Airfix, do the decent thing.

Trevor

• Like 2

It looks good!

Not the easiest kit to use to get a decent Ju 52 in 1/72, but obtaining such a nice result is all to your credit!

JR

• Like 1

Good job on a tricky subject and old kit.

The Ju52 is a kitmaker's (and modeler's) nightmare because of the sheer complexity of the aircraft and its various guises. For example, it is no good a Ju52 being released with alternative rear windows (round or later polygonal) because they are almost impossible to clean up and blend with the corrugations. Just for  military versions from the g3e to g14e there needs to be two different port-side fuselage halves (four if you count others with front doors on float-planes and float/wheel convertibles), at least four starboard fuselage halves (and at least two more for front fuselage cabin door), two fuselage tops (with, without turret), two wing types (basic and those with sheathed leading edges receiving hot air from exhausts), three cowling types with associated exhaust fittings, several options for carburettor intakes, air intakes for for hot air production and ventilation, three canopy types (basic, ad-hoc dorsal mg position, and Condor Haube - with and without turret), etc etc.

"Definitive" 1/72 kits of Tante Ju have still to appear. The 1/48 Revell/Monogram is excellent but really limits you to the g4e/g6e versions.

A really interesting aircraft and deserving of more attention by the quality kit manufacturers.

Cheers

GrahamB

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:00 AM, Cheezburger said:

Also interesting: the historical description in English starts off with attributes like"slow, ungainly and obsolescent" while the (more in depth) German history boasts about the international success of this plane and its legendary ruggedness, reliability good flying characteristics.

A fine example of differing evaluations that are not mutually exclusive.  I would say that both assessments are mostly true.

Edited by Niles
  • Like 1

Great build!  I remember building this back when it was first released (God, I'm old!).  I built the floatplane version, why, I can't remember.  What I do remember is the nightmare attempts to make the decals sit down on the corrugated surface :wall:

• Like 1

Nice build.

Yesterday I retrieved half a dozen boxes of models from

my Mum's attic. Nearly all built before about 1976.

I obviously went for quantity rather than quality back then.

Amongst the detritus were two Airfix Ju52's. Mostly intact

and with some of the decals still on them!

And for one of them I'd obviously been swayed by Where Eagles Dare!

• Like 1