Classic Kits: Airfix Ju 52 1/72 out of box built

For your consideration the old Airfix Ju 52 in an early 1970's boxing. Built OOB in the recommended, ahistoric livery. My original plan was to use the original decals as well, but there was no way they could be made to snug to the textured surface of the plane. With a fair amount of softener they finally curled up and fell off. So decals from the spares box it was. Only the little Berlin bear badge could be used as it was placed on a flat surface. I originally had two kits of this Ju 52 and wanted to build the floatplane option too. But after finishing this one and finding the fit and appearance only so-so, I decided to sell the other kit.

Counting the one Italeri Ju 52 I built as a kid in the early 90's, this was only my second Ju 52. Probably my last as well, since I never found that Wellblech-look so great. Maybe I get a Mach 2 Ju 352 in the future.

Here the finished plane with it's original box (retail price at the time 9,50 Deutschmarks!)

dsc04284.jpg

dsc04285.jpg

dsc04287.jpg

dsc04289.jpg

dsc04290.jpg

• Like 33

Thanks for the kind words! A true classic it is. Interesting about it was also the fact that it still had most of the instructions written in prose rather than diagrams. So it also came with a German translation of the instructions. What's kind of cool about that is that this names the individual parts by their proper designation (and function) so provides a more in depth understanding of the whole affair. E. g. the little "Y" shaped stick on the lower right front of the fuselage is the "Anstellwinkelgeber" - go figure!

Also interesting: the historical description in English starts off with attributes like"slow, ungainly and obsolescent" while the (more in depth) German history boasts about the international success of this plane and its legendary ruggedness, reliability good flying characteristics.

• Like 3

This is the first one that I have ever seen built and it looks great,............. is it the same kit that Heller also sold? Great job,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

I built this years ago.  It certainly wasn't as good as yours.  I built the float version.  Result: wonky floats, glue fingerprints on the canopy, decals sat on the top of the corrugated ridges and flaps that constantly fell off.

So good to see yours on the stand too.  Thanks for bringing back memories :o)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyot said:

This is the first one that I have ever seen built and it looks great,............. is it the same kit that Heller also sold? Great job,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks! I did some research and it seems there are only three Ju 52 kits in 1/72. The Italeri, the Airfix and the Heller. The Heller is its own thing and seemingly the most accurate of them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Nice job! :)

You say ahistoric livery, knowing nothing about it, how should it be?

When I first got the kit I did a little online research for camo schemes for the Ju 52 to get some inspiration (first I wanted to do something more complicated, like Spanish Civil War). I was not able to verify the solid dark green overall finish combined with the markings provided in the kit as an actual plane. I suppose it should be the standard 70/71 pattern. Going by other older Airfix kits and their decals (like Ju 88 or the Ju 87) I think the combination of livery and markings are bogus/fictional (a Ju 52 1Z+LK did it exist). Would be interesting to see though I someone could prove this wrong.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cngaero said:

What a grand old lady.

There are a lot of these old classic kits being displayed on here at the moment and this is up there with the best of them.

Thank you! I'll keep 'em coming. Still have a little He 177 by Airfix in my stash.

• Like 1

Lovely job on the old girl. And another trip down memory lane.

Apparently the corrugated surfaces were designed by Junkers specifically to prevent decal adhesion if the Tommies ever dared to produce a model of the aircraft.

• Like 3

Just now, IanC said:

Lovely job on the old girl. And another trip down memory lane.

Apparently the corrugated surfaces were designed by Junkers specifically to prevent decal adhesion if the Tommies ever dared to produce a model of the aircraft.

Probably. Since the first 1/72 planes by Frog were intended to school people in aircraft identification. The decals would fall off the models, leaving the British unable to identify the type as a German plane. During an airborne invasion of the islands this would lead to longer identification time, giving the Luftwaffe a tactical advantage when landing in England. Talk about planning ahead! :D

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, IanC said:

And the injector pin marks, that's my abiding memory of the kit. Although if he designed them in, then technically they're not pin marks are they.....?

Regardless, nice to see one built

Pete

• Like 1

That is beautiful Cheezburger, I love old classics built well.... I wish I could bring myself to just build a classic kit straight from the box like that without getting carried away like I do........

It takes me back to Christmas 1968, sat at the dining room table and trying to get all the four fuselage sides to line up while laughing at Laurel and Hardy on the black and white television ......ahh memories.  I was only eight though.......and so many bewildering choices to make...wheels with or without spats......or what about those impressive floats.....tail wheel or skid....gunner's cockpit or blanked over.....loading hatch or windows........German or what about those nice Swiss markings.......great kit.

Please keep them coming.....the He 177 is another of my favourites.........

cheers, Adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Cheezburger said:

Thanks for the kind words! A true classic it is. Interesting about it was also the fact that it still had most of the instructions written in prose rather than diagrams. So it also came with a German translation of the instructions. What's kind of cool about that is that this names the individual parts by their proper designation (and function) so provides a more in depth understanding of the whole affair. E. g. the little "Y" shaped stick on the lower right front of the fuselage is the "Anstellwinkelgeber" - go figure!

Also interesting: the historical description in English starts off with attributes like"slow, ungainly and obsolescent" while the (more in depth) German history boasts about the international success of this plane and its legendary ruggedness, reliability good flying characteristics.

Hi Cheezburger- That's a great model- haven't seen one of those stands in years

Anstellwinkelgeber = Angle of inclination :)

• Like 1

A super job on that old girl. I've only the Italeri one in stock, seeing your Airfix one done like that, it makes me want to go off & find one of them too. Just how much work was involved in this result, I'm guessing more than shows. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Another old fogey has been taken down memory lane. The transfers were almost impossible to get to stick on before the advent of softners etc, but somehow they did. In its time this was a very good kit which stood up well to contemporary offerings. As did the He 177 come to that.

P

• Like 2

I did not expected that  a nice model can be done from this old and rather poor kit by Airfix. Congrats!

Besides Mach 2 J 352 you may consider also W 33/34 family by Special Hobby, F13 by Revell and G22/G24 by Plasticart/Revell :). 

BTW - the 6W+KK is from the Italeri set? 

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JWM said:

BTW - the 6W+KK is from the Italeri set? 

Cheers

Thanks! The 6W+KK comes from the sheet of my recently finished Revell Ar 196! Lower wing crosses are Revell Ju 88 (old kit), upper wing crosses are from the Revell/Italeri Hs 123.

• Like 1