1/144 Air Canada DC-8-43 Minicraft

This is the Minicraft DC-8 kit shortened,using  the Contrail's RR Conway engines, and 26Decals.

A bit of history here, it was an Air Canada DC-8 that brought my family to Canada 50 years ago on 2 Dec '66.   Would have been nice to have this finished last month, but it wasn't to be.

Dsc06233_zpslunqarzr.jpg

Dsc06220_zpscsp0ekjm.jpg

Dsc06231_zps05nhya0h.jpg

Dsc06223_zpsveydeavt.jpg

Dsc06224_zps8jitp5zy.jpg

Dsc06228_zpsorwsslxd.jpg

Dsc06216_zps0fy0bced.jpg

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 19

I have those same engines and plan to do the same conversion. It's nice to see what it looks like when completed.  I think that the pylons might be a bit too long when compared to photos though. Compared to this, they look like they're too close to the ground.

2 hours ago, Jessica said:

I have those same engines and plan to do the same conversion. It's nice to see what it looks like when completed.  I think that the pylons might be a bit too long when compared to photos though. Compared to this, they look like they're too close to the ground.

Thanks for the comments, Jessica.    I was not exactly happy with the engines, the pylons aren't very accurate where they meet the top of the wing either.  The rear separate part is also a bit fiddly.   Good luck to your future DC-8.

Cheers, Tony

Say, they do look nice.   But I was trying to do a -43, so Conways it was.   The Minicraft kit was a pleasurable build and I had fun with the shading of the NMF and weathering the wings.   Changings scales and realms for the next model on the bench-- a 1/700 Dragon Essex carrier made into CV-16 Lexington circa late '43.

Model On !!

Tony

Tony.

A nice old one for me!

I just found a bunch of pictures that I took at LHR in 1996 at my first IPMS Nats trip.

There are a few DC-8`s still in use then! I`ll see if I can get them scanned and put them on "display" in here!

Great job, mate!

Ørjan

9 hours ago, Britman said:

Lovely result really nice. The rings  at the rear of the engines are silencers l think ar they not? 

not an expert, but I believe so.   They are not 'deployed' for reverse thrust, as pictured showed this at rest.

Cheers, Tony