Dragon SdKfz 7 8ton Late Production halftrack

BlackMax12

It has the ribs or bows for the tarp covering the box but no tarp so I'll have to try the tissue and white glue route and load it up with junk.

The 15cm howitzer is going to be the real challenge as I have the Griffon Models detail up photo etch set for it and it has hundreds of teensy parts.

Yes the halftrack is pretty detailed, the chassis is fun and you have to install the exhaust half way through so how do I paint that?

Thanks for looking,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Coming along.  Needs a tiny bit of filler around the cowling, so far that's the only place as the fits are precise.

Everything is just sitting on the chassis waiting for primer.

Completed one side of the tracks, 54 links with two tiny pieces per link.  They are workable tracks, don't know why as the suspension is fixed and pretty small parts for my two-thumbed big hands.

WeCPnxo.jpgocmIzMU.jpg8fGLgQ3.jpgAJ6HwPp.jpgkwR229z.jpgasi8gjW.jpgzmdxcW7.jpg

• Like 4

That's a lovely looking kit you've got there. Definitely one I'll be following.

I built the Tamiya kit back in the late 70's - the one with the flakvierling anti-aircraft guns on the back - and whilst it was a great kit as well I remember that the 'rubber band' tracks were it's weak point. 

Your tracks are a massive Improvement. The fact is that they will not only look more realistic with their greater detail, but they'll 'hang' better as well, with a bit of sag over the road wheels and better contact with any ground you sit it on.

Rearguards,

Badder

Threw some paint on this.  Added a couple of ammo storage racks and need more misc junk.  Want to try adding some sort of tarp over the box, remove the bonnet sides to show the engine

and some chips and general weathering.  The bows for the top are so flimsy I may add another bow and more front to rear bracing to support a tissue top.  There are 3 slats running front to back on the top bows, I just haven't added them yet, or I should say I did but had to take them off as I couldn't get the ammo storage box in under them.  Anyway I will end up with five slats I think to help support the top.

RnMZEPP.jpgfQbSPEQ.jpgiUfw6rz.jpgUhoAraC.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 3

Looking good! I'm not sure if the frames for the tarp are from the kit and made of plastic or not, but have you thought  of using wire for the middle ones at least? They will be stronger and won't be visible once the tarp is in place.

Rearguards

Badder

Badder

The frames from the kit are plastic.  I have some Evergreen flat strip that's the right size so one more bow in the middle and then some 0.030 rod on the outside from front to back should give me a place to tie up the rolled up tarp on each side.

Still trying to figure out how to put the vertical tarp behind the cab with the roll up flaps so the driver can check the rear.  One other thing I just noticed, there doesn't appear to be any rear view mirror(s) in this kit unless I've missed them.

Here's a few quick pics of where it's at right now.  Still haven't added the third bow or the side tie-downs for the tarp.  The box is just sitting on the chassis for now.  And the hood doesn't fit at the rear worth a darn.  I seem to have trouble with hood fits and I've tried gluing this 3 times and don't want to ruin the paint job so I guess this is the way it stays.

Lloyd  

NyCfUf0.jpgGqtiI0a.jpgC091ekN.jpg09qvAKM.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 3

Here is my attempt at a cab roof and a tarp over the box.  The rolled up flap for the rear of the box is in the storage bin as I gave up trying to make it fit the arch of the bows.

I found a pic of the rear view mirror on the web, and surprise it's on the front fender so I scratched one and it sort of fits in.

Needs some light weathering and the windshield wipers which I have lost somewhere and then she's ready to tow the 15cm howitzer which I haven't started yet.

QaiSEGy.jpg6m4FArA.jpgXi0yCX5.jpg7QXd7rs.jpgntp9KiN.jpgECmwOrP.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Grand job. The tarp is excellent.  I look forward to seeing the HT weathered up a bit. Are you going to place it in a diorama or just on a simple display base?

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

I gave it a wash of medium gray as I don't want to go too far with dirt on this one.  Still contemplating the gasket between the rear of the bonnet and the cowling.

Pictures on the net show some had it and some didn't but it would cover up the unsightly seam at the rear of the bonnet.

It just goes into the display case for now.  I haven't started on the 15cm howitzer it is supposed to tow as every time I look at the Griffon photo etch detail set my enthusiasm

goes down the drain.  I have attached the instruction sheet for the Griffon L35015 set as it is impressive and pretty daunting.

Thanks for looking,

Lloyd

9NPJ8qk.png

Edited by BlackMax12