Vallejo Air War Series

Cookenbacher

Has anyone here tried the new Vallejo 'Air War' series paints. I assume they spray and brush great, as all Vallejo paint seems to, but are folks happy with the colour matches? I know there has been a lot of confusion as to which Vallejo colour should be used for what - and it's rarely what's on the label! For instance, thanks to Greenshirt (Tim), I use Vallejo Model Color 893 for RAF Dark green and am very happy with it. It is labeled FS 34079 US Dark Green.

I'm wondering if these new sets solve the problem, and if anybody knows, it would be Britmodellers.

I picked up a few sets of them, having been happy in the past with the colours in the ‘Model Air’ range.

Used the early Luftwaffe set to do this:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013283-airfix-bf109e-4-172/

And the RAF BoB set to do this:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013339-airfix-spitfire-iia-172/

WP_20170112_18_31_14_Pro.jpg

I’m Happy with most of the colours apart from the RAF dark Earth, which I lightly oversprayed with a dwindling supply of the old Aeromaster dark earth. Perhaps it’s best to just try a set and see with your own eyes, as it’s hard to show the real colours via the internet.

Mart

• Like 1

BS1/BS101 isn't the correct Sky Blue for BoB aircraft - it was a different Ministry of Aircraft Production colour by the name Sky Blue which allegedly appeared on some BoB aircraft.

BS1 (pre war)  or BS101 (post war) BSi Sky Blue

BS101_Sky_Blue_1024x1024.jpg?v=147777067

MAP Sky Blue

US12_b075439c-209b-4105-983f-276234fcf14

• Like 1

Actually, there's evidence that both Sky Blues were used, or at least colours very much like them. If you check Paul Lucas's The Battle For Britain book, you can see some photographs which show the BS1 Sky Blue (or something very much like it) quite clearly on some aircraft parts, notably a 222 Sqn Spitfire.

Isn't No 1 Sky Blue in the Colourcoats lineup? I'm sure I have a tin of it!