Recce Bf109G pipe from engine? + Blair's kill?

Graham Boak

I've long wanted to do a recce version of the Bf109 with two tanks under the wing, but have lacked knowledge of various details.  When I saw the new Kora release of the AZ Bf109G I noticed that the boxart showed a pipe going back from the rear of the engine running underneath the centre-section.  OK, I thought, this guy has done his research, I'll buy the kit.  It arrived today (good service Hannants) but the instructions and parts show no sign of this pipe. So where does it go to, and is there another on the other side?  What does it look like at the other end?

I'm guessing that it could be water to clean the lens of the camera, but I'm not convinced.

Edited by Graham Boak

Yes they are Graham, some recce 109s had one, usually running along the port side but the majority had two, one port and one starboard which extended aft beyond the camera window.

The route that the aft end of the pipe followed can be clearly seen in the oft-published port side photos of Metzs' 109 G-2/R2 'Black 14' of the 2.(H)/14 brought down near Zarzis, Tunisia in March 1943.

Dave

Does anyone know the camouflage pattern, and any unit markings, carried by A6+XH of 1(F)/120 on its reconnaissance mission over Scapa?  (Yes, the Ian Blair not Clostermann one.)  And as a G-6/R3 would it have the long or short drainage pipes?  Somewhat to my surprise, the four examples in the kit are all Italian-based examples, and with linear camouflage patterns rather than the comb/ripple style often seen on recce airframes.

Edit correct code: clumsy fingers.

Edited by Graham Boak

Graham,

The few (only two I'm afraid) photos I have of recce 109s assigned to (F)/120 at around this time frame show them in what appears to be the standard 74/75 splinter with 76 under surfaces with the sides of the fuselage appearing to be in 'standard' mottling. All the photos and manual schematics I have of the G-6/R3 show the longer vent/drainage pies.

IMO, it might be worth contacting the Norway SIG as I'm sure that someone there can give you more information.

The following are taken from the 12 o'Clock High Luftwaffe section and might be of interest:

This from Brian Bines posted on 12 o’clock high on 9 July 2007:

Bf 109G-6/R3 wn 20357 A6+XH of 1(F)/120 Ff. Oblt. Helmut Quednau missing on 20th.Feb.1944. The combat report is for P/O J. Blair D.F.M. and F/L Bennetts of 602 Sqd. with the 109 credited to P/O Blair. I can only assume Pierre's account is written from F/L Bennetts point of view. Source NVM and Combat Report.
P/O Blairs Spitfire damaged Cat. E belly landed on Island of Stronsay following being hit by debris from the 109.

This from Chris Goss posted on 12 o’clock high on 10 July 2007:

Ian Blair was awarded the DFM whilst he was a Navigator for flying his Blenheim back when his pilot was severely (if not fatally) wounded in the Western Desert. He was immediately recommended for pilot training and when he was posted to 501 Sqn was immediately bounced by JG 2 and shot down. This was his only kill with 602/as a fighter pilot and he was still alive a few years ago-nice chap.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

Thanks: I presume that the photos show the aircraft with the unit codes?  Sometimes the initial two (unit ID) codes are considerably smaller than the individual/staffel ones.

I must admit that although this individual aircraft is clearly an interesting choice, I would prefer a scheme I haven't done before, and the addition of code letters rather than numbers isn't quite enough.  The kit examples do have varying amounts of white trim, as usual for Luftwaffe aircraft in the Mediterranean.  Sadly only two have the unit badge on the nose, and these carry fighter-style numbers rather than the 4-character codes.  However, one of the coded examples does have the "sloped streaky" fuselage sides which I've never tried - sadly less white trim!  Can't get everything.