Brits abroad - British subjects in foreign markings Chat

Giorgio N

22 hours ago, Prenton said:

Giorgio - put me down for this one, please.  

As a modeller "from the Emerald Isle", I will be doing something from the Irish Aer Corps (potentially the Spitfire TR9  -  AZ models do a kit in 1/72nd, which I happen to have up in the loft.....)

Philip

That's great Philip !

Having lived for a few years in the Republic I am always pleased to see Irish subjects, looking forward to the TR.9. That reminds me that I've yet to buy one myself..

21 hours ago, Beard said:

I didn't commit to this GB, although I voted for it. So, I guess a Spitfire (or two) would be in order.

Welcome ! The Spitfire offers plenty of interesting markings options, looking forward to your models

20 hours ago, Botan said:

By the way, Kora models have released decals for Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I  in Estonian service. As far as I know, Estonia ordered those, but after start of war deal was cancelled, but it is confirmed, that some Spitfires had Estonian markings already painted on them?

Very interesting subject. I've never seen a Spitfire in Estonian markings, will have to go through my references to see if these markings were indeed applied.

46 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:
21 hours ago, Botan said:

By the way, Kora models have released decals for Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I  in Estonian service. As far as I know, Estonia ordered those, but after start of war deal was cancelled, but it is confirmed, that some Spitfires had Estonian markings already painted on them?

Very interesting subject. I've never seen a Spitfire in Estonian markings, will have to go through my references to see if these markings were indeed applied.

According to Spitfire The History, Estonia paid for 12 Spitfires (Order No. c.186/39), the 'firm' order being made on 2 March 1939 but I can't find any more information. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

The Hawk is always a good choice when it comes to exported British aircrafts. Oh, and did I mention I love Hawks ? :D

I thought about a Tornado in Saudi colors but I don't want to build too many demanding kits this year, what with so many Group Builds to participate in and all haha.

1 hour ago, whiskey said:

I thought about a Tornado in Saudi colors but I don't want to build too many demanding kits this year, what with so many Group Builds to participate in and all haha.

Yep, the colour scheme on the Saudi IDS jets would be a little time consuming...   ... might slow your progress a bit.

• Like 1

I have an idea - posting candidates to whet the modelling apetite and keep the interest.

I'll go first - I'll concentrate on Latin american air forces:

Latin Meteors

Brazilian Air Force:

xtgIPih.gif

Ecuadorian Air Force:

7dKwZzr.jpg

Argentine Air Force:

XFWCN67.jpg

A bonus - there are decal sheets for all three Meteors :)

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 2

Good choice of subjects Moggy, I especially like the second Argentine option and I do happen to have a Revell Meteor IV...

What about some non-aircraft subjects?  Anybody got any suggestions?

• Like 1

If somebody is interested in Greek military, then LM Decals offers many very interesting sets, like for example:

• Hellenic Army 19th Mot. Div. vehicle Greece 1941, no. 72005 (18 different Universal Carriers, 3 Vickers light tanks and two soft-skin vehicles serving with the Hellenic Army's 19th Mot. Div. in 1941 ,including correct markings to finish the 1/72 scale IBG kit of the Chevrolet C15A light truck as a Greek or captured vehicle)
  • Cypriot National Guard vehicles 1960 - 1975, no. LM 72016 (vehicles used by the Greek Cypriot National Guard from its establishment in 1960 until 1975. Types covered are fo example the Daimler Dingo scout car, Marmon Herrington MK IVf armoured car, Austin K5 truck armed with a Maxson quad turret as well as the Land Rover)
  • Universal Carrier IX Div. artillery, Hellenic Army 1947, no. LMX 0005 (Markings for a Universal Carrier Mk I serving with an artillery unit of the IX Division in 1947, during the Greek Civil War)
  • Hellenic Army Centaur tank 1950's, no. LMX 0009 (hese markings are typical of Centaurs tanks in Hellenic Army service in the 1950's until they were withdrawn in 1962. During this period they were equipped with a 0.50 cal heavy machine gun on the turret for AA protection. This particular tank is named AETOS meaning EAGLE)
  • Royal Hellenic Air Force Spitfire MkV, no. 72017,
  • AirCo DH-9 in Hellenic Service, no. LMX 0032
Edited by Botan
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wez said:

Good choice of subjects Moggy, I especially like the second Argentine option and I do happen to have a Revell Meteor IV...

What about some non-aircraft subjects?  Anybody got any suggestions?

Some ships off my cuff:

Carriers:

Australia: Majestic-class HMAS Sidney & HMAS Melbourne

Canada: Majestic-class HMCS Bonaventure

The Netherlands: Colossus-class HNLS Karel Doorman

Brazil: Colossus-class Minas Gerais

Argentina: Colossus class ARA Independencia & ARA 25 de Mayo

India: Colossus class INS Vikrant

Centaur-class INS Viraat

France: Colossus-class Arromanches

Edited by Moggy
typos
  • Like 1

About ships, one of the most famous Polish destroyer, second of Grom-class destroyers, ORP Blyskawica, and the oldest preserved destroyer in the world, was built in UK by J. Samuel White in 1935–37. There are models of those make by Mirage Hobby in 1:400 and some resin kits in 1:700.

There were more British ships serving in Polish Navy during WWII, but those were given and returned back during war, so I'm not sure if those qualify.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JackG said:

Canada did have some Tribal class destroyers, but will have to check which shipyards built them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribal-class_destroyer_(1936)

So the question rises (again?),  if it is a British design but built in a different country, does it count for this GB?

regards,

Jack

Does this answer that question?

On 1/12/2017 at 12:53, Giorgio N said:

Regarding the actual place of construction of the subject on the other hand I'd be quite relaxed so an Egyptian Vampire would be eligible even if these were license built in Italy. Boradly speaking, I'd be fine with license built British types, unless they are unique local variations that considerably differ from the original.

• Like 2

Yes, even if the ship was built in a Canadian shipyard, if it's part of a British designed class than it would be eligible.

Some other naval subjects that I know of:

- Leander frigates, built for New Zealand, India, Australia, the Netherlands and Chile. A number of RN ships were later sold to Chile, India, Pakistan and Equador

- Type 22 frigates, a number of ships sold to Brazil, Romania and Chile after their service with the RN

- Tribal frigates, the postwar ones, some sold to Indonesia

- Type 21 frigates, all surviving ones sold to Pakistan at the end of their service in the RN

- Type 12 frigates, some built for New Zealand and South Africa

- Type 42 destroyer, 2 built for Argentina

- Daring class destroyers, also built for Australia (I should know as I visited HMAS Vampire, now a museum ship in Sydney)

Now unfortunately I don't know what kits exist of these ships (I remember the Airfix Leander and Type 21 and have memories of seeing Type 22 and 42, might have been Dragon), in any case seems like postwar British frigates had quite a success on the export market.

There may be more, I'm pretty sure that a large number of submarines were sold by Britain to other countries. Again, not sure of the availability of kits

On 1/12/2017 at 12:53, Giorgio N said:

Regarding the actual place ofconstruction of the subject on the other hand I'd be quite relaxed so an Egyptian Vampire would be eligible even if these were license built in Italy. Boradly speaking, I'd be fine with license built British types, unless they are unique local variations that considerably differ from the original.

Using these wise words as guidance I'm thinking this might be my build for this GB (providing it comes out on time)

• Like 1

Next batch of Latin American Brit expats:

Canberras galore!

Venezuelan Air Force

BdbpT4f.jpg

Argentine Air Force

cMFQN7D.jpg

Chilean Air Force

J85nl18.jpg

Peruvian Air Force

IFSb8JD.jpg

Ecuador Air Force

duZ1t4c.jpg

Again - there are decal sheets for the lot! :D

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 1

By request!

Somali Hunter (gift from Oman)

9nAZvtrg.jpg

Vampire T Rhodesia

wrPzzBN.jpg

Nigerian Jaguar

YiylBEB.jpg

Sudanese Jet Provost!

YeOXu6S.jpg

HS 748 Zambia AF

h4j1BJXg.jpg

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Can we get some african or Maybe Afghanistan inspiration😗😇

Sure.

Afghan Air Force 1924-1928 (Blue Rider Publishing) BR418 - Decals for a de Havilland DH9, an Avro 504K and two Duks R-1, all serving with the Afghan Air Force between 1924 and 1928.

• Like 1

I like the look of that Sudanese JP. Jet Provost or Strikemaster is one of my options for this GB but there are so many others to choose from. Others I'm thinking about right now include a Jetstream, Dove, Canberra, Skyvan, Hunter... and so on...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

If I can find time I'd like to do a Hunter. Thinking either Danish, Dutch, or Belgian.

Haven’t Revell announced a re-release of the F.6 in 1/72 for 2018?

Trevor