Brits abroad - British subjects in foreign markings Chat

Giorgio N

2 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The Vampire lends itself well to the use of foreign markings as was used by so many countries.. Those Lancasters though are very unusual, and therefore very interesting

I would go for a Rhodesian Vampire first, but the whole sheet is cool.

About the Lancs, I've also Argentine decals, and I'd like also an Aéronavale aircraft.

Then there's the Glad'. I'd like to build them all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I assume we're talking 2018 here?

I'm interested.

No idea what at the moment!

Trevor

Yes, it would be 2018 and only if the GB is voted at the end of the year.

Name added to the list, ideas can wait til closer to the start :)

On 24/1/2017 at 8:18 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Always happy to support an inclusive GB.....Put me down for a Waltzing Matilda or Comrade Churchill.  :coolio:

Great to have you in the list Sgt.! Would be very curious to find out more about Soviet Churchills, the Soviets built huge number of their own tanks and yet also seem to have used a lot of UK and US built tanks too

On 24/1/2017 at 8:24 PM, franky boy said:

Put me down for this one, sounds fun.

James

Added to the list ! List that is growing... anyone else ?

• Like 1

On 12.01.2017 at 1:53 PM, Giorgio N said:

Other subjects I would prefer not to include are those serving in "foreign" RAF Squadrons, be they from Commonwealth and Empire countries (those in the 4xx series) or those manned with foreign volunteers (like the many Polish and Free French units in the 3xx range).

To be more precise, is hard to call Polish squadrons "volunteer", because they were simply soldiers serving under Polish Government, according to British-Polish Agreement of August 1940. The legal and financial agreements that were signed in August 1940, and modified throughout the war, document that the Polish Armed Forces were a sovereign military under the constitutional control of the Polish Government in exile. I'm not pushing for adding them, because is still hard to call those planes as exported abroad, I'm just adding interesting historical fact. I wonder what do with ships given by UK to other countries during WWII, but now I don't have such plans, so let it be.

Oh, and sign me up, I have a plenty of ideas to choose from, for example Vickers tanks gives a lot of possibilities. Or maybe Ukrainian Austin? Irish Rolls Royce? Estonian Sopwith Camel? I have too many to choose from :-/

Edited by Botan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Great to have you in the list Sgt.! Would be very curious to find out more about Soviet Churchills, the Soviets built huge number of their own tanks and yet also seem to have used a lot of UK and US built tanks too

Following the massive loss of territory after Barbarossa, almost the entire Soviet tank building industry was shipped east beyond the Urals, out of range of German bombing.....Lend-lease vehicles of all kinds were critical in making up for the production shortfall caused by this enormous disruption. 

I wasn't until 1943 that the Soviet factories were back in full swing, just in time for Kursk.....The rest is history.

Lend-lease trucks continued to be vital to the Soviet war effort right up to 1945, IIRC the generic term for a truck in the immediate postwar Soviet Union was a 'Studebaker'.

FWIW

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Botan said:

To be more precise, is hard to call Polish squadrons "volunteer", because they were simply soldiers serving under Polish Government, according to British-Polish Agreement of August 1940. The legal and financial agreements that were signed in August 1940, and modified throughout the war, document that the Polish Armed Forces were a sovereign military under the constitutional control of the Polish Government in exile. I'm not pushing for adding them, because is still hard to call those planes as exported abroad, I'm just adding interesting historical fact. I wonder what do with ships given by UK to other countries during WWII, but now I don't have such plans, so let it be.

Oh, and sign me up, I have a plenty of ideas to choose from, for example Vickers tanks gives a lot of possibilities. Or maybe Ukrainian Austin? Irish Rolls Royce? Estonian Sopwith Camel? I have too many to choose from :-/

Thanks for the clarifications, I sure oversimplified the actual status of the Polish but also French, Czech and other pilots in RAF service. good to have the exact details.

And of course glad to have you on board, all the subjects you mention sound very interesting to me! Knowing little about interwar subjects, I'd be happy to see them so that I can learn something new while watching the WIP threads

11 hours ago, Arniec said:

Get me on the list as well. I have got a few Gloster Meteors with some Dutch decals.

Or something else.  I will see.

Cheers,

Duly added ! Dutch Meteors sound good

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Following the massive loss of territory after Barbarossa, almost the entire Soviet tank building industry was shipped east beyond the Urals, out of range of German bombing.....Lend-lease vehicles of all kinds were critical in making up for the production shortfall caused by this enormous disruption. 

I wasn't until 1943 that the Soviet factories were back in full swing, just in time for Kursk.....The rest is history.

Lend-lease trucks continued to be vital to the Soviet war effort right up to 1945, IIRC the generic term for a truck in the immediate postwar Soviet Union was a 'Studebaker'.

FWIW

Very interesting, I was aware of the massive use of US built trucks in particular and also of the production of locomotives in the US for the Soviets, the use of Churchills and other tanks though is a lesser known aspect of the war on the Eastern Front

3 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

This sounds good for a vampire or two. Please put me down for this,

Alan 

As said before, I can see the Vampire as a good subject for a similar GB. Name added to the list !

• Like 1

I build a lot of Argentine subjects - and there are LOTS of British aircraft among them! Meteors, Lancasters, Lincolns, Canberras, Felixtowes, Southampton, Walrus, Vickers Vikings, DH Doves, Bristol 170 Freighter, Percival Prentices, Airspeed Consuls... I have kits for ALL of them,

Ships: Pre-dreadnought battleships, light cruiser (modified Arethusa class), A lot of vehicles both serving the air force an the army eg. Bren carriers. Do Firefly Shermans count ;)

BTW civilian AC HS 740, Comet 4. Spitfire XI (civil registry) Mosquito (civil registry) both used in mapping duties

Looking forward to this GB!

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Moggy said:

I build a lot of Argentine subjects - and there are LOTS of British aircraft among them! Meteors, Lancasters, Lincolns, Canberras, Felixtowes, Southampton, Walrus, Vickers Vikings, DH Doves, Bristol 170 Freighter, Percival Prentices, Airspeed Consuls... I have kits for ALL of them,

Ships: Pre-dreadnought battleships, light cruiser (modified Arethusa class), A lot of vehicles both serving the air force an the army eg. Bren carriers. Do Firefly Shermans count ;)

BTW civilian AC HS 740, Comet 4. Spitfire XI (civil registry) Mosquito (civil registry) both used in mapping duties

Cheers, Moggy

Great list there, Britain and Argentina have been very close partners for quite a while in the past, if I remember right Argentina was one of the main sources of meat for Britain during WW2 and some of this was repaid after the war with the supply of aircrafts and other arms.

Whatever you choose will be very interesting !

• Like 1

On 29/01/2017 at 9:43 PM, Moggy said:

Cheers, Moggy

That Spitfire XI holds the record for the longest flight in a Spitfire IIRC. If you are interested A.Grainger drew the 190 gallon tank in Planes No.1 I can send a scan if you let me have your e-mail address by PM.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Count me in too.  Got a few kits that can go into this GB.

Added to the list ! We're slowly getting closer to the number required to go through the voting, anyone else interested ? I'm sure there's someone out there who'd like to build a South African Buccaneer, an Australian Leander frigate or an American AV-8A

Please count me in! Plenty of possibilities in the stash...my first thought was to find something far off the beaten track for the new Airfix Jet Provost, but Antoine's post has me contemplating a Greek, Portuguese or French Blenheim...and I'd definitely consider a USMC AV-8A.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, I will probably do at least one of the above, but I'm definitely down for an AirCal BAe 146...I still have fond memories of flying on one from John Wayne-Orange County Airport to LAX on a trip to Disneyland with my parents when I was about six or seven years old.

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sabre_days said:

Please count me in! Plenty of possibilities in the stash...my first thought was to find something far off the beaten track for the new Airfix Jet Provost, but Antoine's post has me contemplating a Greek, Portuguese or French Blenheim...and I'd definitely consider a USMC AV-8A.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, I will probably do at least one of the above, but I'm definitely down for an AirCal BAe 146...I still have fond memories of flying on one from John Wayne-Orange County Airport to LAX on a trip to Disneyland with my parents when I was about seven years old.

Added to the list !

Very interesting ideas what users are you thinking of for the Provost ?

The 146 is also a very intersting subject, should the GB go through the votes I'll watch with great interest ! Always been a fan of the little BAe liner and flew several times on the Swiss JR100 fleet (whatever they call it now, it will always be a BAe 146 to me...)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Added to the list !

Very interesting ideas what users are you thinking of for the Provost ?

The 146 is also a very intersting subject, should the GB go through the votes I'll watch with great interest ! Always been a fan of the little BAe liner and flew several times on the Swiss JR100 fleet (whatever they call it now, it will always be a BAe 146 to me...)

Thanks!

And thanks...for the Jet Provost, since the Xtradecal sheet is the only one I have in my stash and seems to be about the only game in town for early mark Jet Provosts right now, probably South Arabian or Sri Lankan. South Arabian will likely be my first choice because the camo is a bit more different from the kit RAF markings than the Sri Lankan silver, and I'm planning to build one of the two copies of the Airfix kit that I have in late-60s RAF markings as a tip of the hat to an old acquaintance I haven't seen for a few years now who flew Jet Provosts in the RAF.

Definitely...nice. That was the only time I got to fly on one, but I think I remember seeing them at YVR a few times in the late 90s. (Agreed...same way the Boeing 717 will always be a DC-9...)

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 1

It took a little digging on Google to confirm that I'm not crazy for thinking they were a fairly common sight here in the late 1990s, but I was forgetting it was still AirBC (as an Air Canada Regional affiliate) in those days. Jazz would have been the early 2000s...

I have definitely seen them in the past few years at CYXX Abbotsford with Northern Cariboo Air and the one Conair is testing for the aerial firefighting role.

Edited by Sabre_days
Finally figured out the correct chronology of who was flying 146s to YVR...
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Time to bump this one... anyone else interested in this GB proposal ? We only need another few interested members to go to the vote, sign up here if you want to build a British built subject in some unusual foreign marking !

Edited by Giorgio N