Brits abroad - British subjects in foreign markings Chat

Giorgio N

On 5/22/2017 at 2:36 PM, Giorgio N said:

Other "abroad" GBs ? I'd be all for it ! We already had a GB dedicated to exported Soviet/Russian hardware and was very succesful, I'm sure that similar GBs dedicated to other countries would be of interest too. In a similar mood, we could also think of a GB dedicated to foreign hardware in British use, something that I suspect would raise interest among modellers of military vehicles

I too would be very interested in more nation specific GB's as they are great opportunities for modellers from different interest groups to join in and result in a nice variety of completed builds. The Soviet/Russian one is popular and the "French Fancy" one (although slightly different in scope) was also really popular.

Sorry to have opened a can of worms with my Tornado question!

Craig.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Folks, we are still at the very bottom of the GBs that could make it, we need some more votes to be guaranteed a place in next year GB calendar !

Can I remind everyone that this would be a GB open to every kind of model ! Military vehicle modellers for example would have a GB where they can showcase their creations. What about a Chieftain in a very different camo scheme ?

13950125000453_PhotoI.jpg

This is from Iran and number of these tanks were recently given to the new Iraqi Army, meaning one more possible scheme

http://defence-blog.com/army/shiite-militias-provides-rehabilitated-chieftain-tanks-to-iraqi-armed-forces.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I’m in :)

Happy to have you on board !

If you haven't yet, please vote for this GB in poll on the GB chat section, it's the only way to have this approved for next year. Do you already have an idea of what you'd like to build ?

Edited by Giorgio N

10 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

What about a Chieftain in a very different camo scheme ?

Star Decals have nice decals for Iranian ones, not in my scale though:

35-C1050 Iranian Army tanks and AFVs in the 1980s Iraq-Iran War.

35-C1052NLA - National Liberation Army of Iran (Peoples Mujahedin of Iran).

• Like 1

On 15/11/2017 at 9:11 PM, Mikkel said:

I have voted ;) 

My ideas... hmmm Maybe a Ethiopian Fairey Firefly or a Biafra Dh Devon... 

Need to find a small and strange british plane in odd colours!

Great Mikkel !

I've seen pictures of Ethiopian Fireflies and they look very good ! Never seen a Biafran Devon, would make for a very unusual subject

On 15/11/2017 at 9:26 PM, Botan said:

Thanks for posting these, very interesting !

Being mainly an aircraft modeller, I'll need a lot of help from other modellers to cover all those subjects that I know less should the GB go through

18 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I'm up for it. Plenty to think about between now and start.

Glad to have you on board Paul ! :yes:

We'll have to get throught the vote first, we're not doing too bad at the moment but we'll have to see what happens with the "tactical" voting of the last few days. :D

Folks, this GB is now at risk as others are receiving a sudden input of new votes ! I'm sure there are other modellers who have yet to vote that would like to build something British in unusual markings. What about a BAe mounted aerobatic team with aircrafts that are not red ?

• Like 1

And a link to another video today... with S&M releasing a brand new Canberra B.2 there would be plenty of markings to choose from. to participate in this GB. The RAAF in particular used Canberras for several years in war and peace...

Quite a difference between the early silver/white scheme and the later camouflage as used in Vietnam !

So many things you could build for this one. Loads of aircraft options, cars are easy - just put a foreign registration on it, must be plenty of armour options, ships, and so on. Figure modellers shouldn't feel left out, they can try modelling me - I am a Brit abroad after all!

get voting folks!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zebra said:

So many things you could build for this one. Loads of aircraft options, cars are easy - just put a foreign registration on it, must be plenty of armour options, ships, and so on. Figure modellers shouldn't feel left out, they can try modelling me - I am a Brit abroad after all!

get voting folks!

Love the idea of building a figure of you ! :D

Speaking of figures, a wide number of armies used surplus British gear after WW2 and this remained in service in some cases for many years.

The Italian Army for example initially used British uniforms and webbing and a number of small arms. Uniforms then were produced in Italy but retained the same cut and colour. When my dad served as an officer in the late '60s his combat uniform was really pretty much the same worn by British soldiers around the end of the war and among the arms he was trained in was the Bren, still in original .303 caliber.

When I served in the army in the early '90s our uniforms were very different but most webbing was still the same late war British style, with some additions to accomodate the different arms introduced in service in the meantime and other indigenous items. I still have an original canvas holster from my days but as I couldn't get an Italian belt it's now attached to an early '50s British surplus belt... In the meantime the Italian Army has totally changed appearance but they have also received a new British weapon when they adopted a number of Accuracy International rifles

Other armies followed a similar evolution, so much that re-enactor of British troops today often use clothing and equipment manufactured postwar in other countries to equip their armies. I would be happy to accept in this GB figures of foreign soldiers dressed or equipped with British items !

I'd really like this GB to be as inclusive as possible for every modeller

Edited by Giorgio N

Entries from my stash - if this makes the cut.

Not as strong a field as I would really like here.

Not going to suggest any BAe/McD, Panavia or Sepecat consortiums - nor RAF aircraft with marking for a French, Dutch or Norwegian crew.  Respect to them - but I think this build is a celebration of British exports.

Italeri BAe Hawk with Aussie markings.

Premier DH Sea Venom - Aussie markings,

Sword Stikemaster - NZ markings

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 2