Price of Klear

beetcleaner

I see from a review on Flory Models Youtube channel that Future Floor Polish can now be bought which acts like the old stuff. A link on Britmodeller leads you to Amazon where it costs £9.98 but when you go to checkout the delivery costs push it up to £17.02

Is this because its being shipped in from the USA? Just wondered if there is a UK supplier who doesnt charge such hefty postage. Anybody used this stuff?

The delivery charge probably goes up as this has to be carried by courier now. Post office regulations forbid it in Royal Mail post.

There are other products which are the same as Future/Klear, do the same job and are far cheaper.

I use 'Astonish Wood Floor Polish' - 99p/£1 for 750ml at most Home Bargain shops

• Like 2

I usually just brush it on, with a very wide flat brush.

I have spayed it, but just couldn't be bothered to do that much anymore.

To clean the airbrush; do it immediately after use, first with plain water then either an alcohol or something with ammonia in it. Some window cleaners have ammonia in them, and water again.Or just do the alcohol/ammonia clean

In both cases make sure your model is warm and so is the room air where you are working.

Too cold and the varnish might dry matt, too cold and damp it might dry matt and opaque.

A cheaper option is new Gauzy from AK Interactive.  It is a brilliant clear coat and really easy to spray or brush.  Its one achilles heel is that it does not sand well.  Klear sands well once dry, but Gauzy lifts and shreds when you sand it back, so it's no use for hiding decal carrier film by applying coats over the decals and sanding it back.  I still use it a lot, but switch back to my limited stocks of Klear when I'm hiding decals :)

• Like 1

Beetcleaner,

I guess any acrylic varnish that dries clear would OK to use. I have read some use one of the Lakeland products - can't remember what one though. Another and perhaps safer and less expensive option is to use artist's acrylic gloss varnish from Winson and Newton or Liquitex. I use Winsor and Newton matt varnish to finish my models and it's great. It works out cheaper than most model varnishes too. There is every reason to think their gloss varnish would be just as good. Think about it, you wouldn't expect an artist to seal and finish his or her work with floor polish. Would you?

Sincerely,

Will.

• Like 1

Beetcleaner

You don't need to use anything as it airbrushes well straight from the bottle. To clean, just use something like Ultimate, Lifecolor, or Vallejo airbrush cleaner. I prefer Ultimate, but the other two are just as good.

Best Wishes,

Will..

On 12 January 2017 at 9:58 AM, Black Knight said:

I usually just brush it on, with a very wide flat brush.

I have spayed it, but just couldn't be bothered to do that much anymore.

To clean the airbrush; do it immediately after use, first with plain water then either an alcohol or something with ammonia in it. Some window cleaners have ammonia in them, and water again.Or just do the alcohol/ammonia clean

In both cases make sure your model is warm and so is the room air where you are working.

Too cold and the varnish might dry matt, too cold and damp it might dry matt and opaque.

Forgive me hijacking your thread for my own issues beetcleaner, but when I have applied Klear with a brush previously I have lifted the paint (Tamiya) I am brushing over. Anyone any idea what I am doing wrong?

Why pay those prices when an excellent alternative to klear is readily available in the U.K.? It's called quick shine and it's available from Lakeland stores.. I've been using it for about three years and it's as good if not better than klear. I'm amazed that the modeling community don't seem to know about this stuff and still use the inferior " new formula" kier.. have a look at the link:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/20286/Quick-Shine-Floor-Finish

• Like 1

6 hours ago, speedbird said:

Why pay those prices when an excellent alternative to klear is readily available in the U.K.? It's called quick shine and it's available from Lakeland stores.. I've been using it for about three years and it's as good if not better than klear. I'm amazed that the modeling community don't seem to know about this stuff and still use the inferior " new formula" kier.. have a look at the link:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/20286/Quick-Shine-Floor-Finish

As the original "discoverer" of this stuff,  I'll just say it's very very good. I also use it as a general thinner and drying extender for all my acrylics for brush painting ( its great with Tamiya).  I've used it with Tamiya, guns, Vallejo, Citadel, Aeromaster and reveal acrylics - all fine.

I keep a small squeezey bottle of on my desk and use it all the time. You can also use it to make washes too.

Cheers Jonners

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sainsburys do the pledge floor polish for a couple of quid. I've found that brush laying a few coates with a buff inbetween each layer brings out a really great shine. I've also got a a polishing stick from flory models which is used to bring out the shine.

Edited by Timbo343