Sorry, They're Late

20 hours ago, CedB said:

I read somewhere here that Alclad colours don't mix, let alone different types. Might be best to try a bit first... obviously you were going to do that, egg sucking lesson again, sorry :) 

Thanks for the heads up on the Alclad Ced, maybe I'll try the new Vallejo Metal Colors.

17 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Once I find it, I'll try to resurrect it and stick it on a very belated RFI.

Looking forward to it Tony! I don't know if I'd seen a Heller Mk V before.

13 hours ago, giemme said:

PS: for better pics, you may want to try a better light and a light blue backdrop :winkgrin: 

Thanks Giemme!

• Like 3

Got the Colourcoats Light Slate grey onto the Sword (edited) AZ 18. It's been faded, not just to simulate variation in the surface, but because this aircraft spent its career in Palestine and Cyprus, and the paint itself would have been quite sun bleached. 

100_0656_zps8i85jv9c.jpg

Masked off the walkway lines on the Eduard 16 with 0.5 mm tape, it's a little too wide, but I still like it better than decals. (Ignore the errant "Sword 18 sign" - Sorry, I really failed in my signage in this update.)

100_0640_zpsyytl4k1d.jpg

The silver finish is a base of Alclad Semi-matt Aluminum with some 'post-shading' of various Vallejo Metal Color Aluminum paints.

100_0666_zpsl7htnxee.jpg

100_0670_zpszvmo7e3l.jpg

The underside of the Sword 18 in Lifecolor Medium Sea grey.

100_0672_zpshxly0mlo.jpg

You can barely discern the use of Procopius' magic 3M 1/4" masking tape for the Sky band.

Hmmm, that light box is getting more and more tempting.

• Like 14

Great stuff Cookie; fading, colour variation and NMF... must be the set! All looking very good. 

I'd second the light box by the way - not too expensive and they do make a difference. 

• Like 1

Alclad, Vallejo, Colourcoats and Lifecolor; all sorts of different products being used here to get the desired effects.

Great effects too, NMF looking superb :thumbsup2: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

3 hours ago, SovereignHobbies said:

I think you may be modelling one of my grandfather's Spit XVIIIs there. Is it a blue or red spinner it's getting? My grandfather maintained those with red spinners.

Well it's definitely going to have a red spinner now! I'm planning on  TZ233, it's depicted in the AZ boxing, and the Xtradecals Mk XIV sheet for the 208 Sqn FR.18 in the Light Slate grey/Dark Earth scheme. Was that his Squadron? The Xtradecals sheet includes a 32 Sqn FR.18 with a red spinner as well in DFS, so it's covered either way.  I hope it does your grandfather proud.

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

I'm definitely stealing that idea about the walkway lines!

I'd be honoured, especially since I'm certain I stole it from someone else.

On 2/23/2017 at 0:59 PM, rob85 said:

Love the look of the NMF so far, which Vallejo paints did you use?

Thanks Rob! I did thin layers of Aluminum, White Aluminum, Semi-matt Aluminum and Dark Aluminum. To Vallejo Metal Color's great credit, there seems to be little difference in their Semi-matt Aluminum and that of Alclad.

Here is the soon to be red spinnered 208 Sqn AZ FR.18 masked up and with faded Colourcoats Dark Earth applied.

IMG_4036_zpslcnl0sbb.jpg

Don't worry, it's not as faded as the above pic seems to show.

Masks removed.

IMG_4038_zps6t9ubb5n.jpg

IMG_4039_zpswsm6ednn.jpg

The Ocean grey is on the 32 Sqn Sword FR.18.

IMG_4037_zpsuvt2xiwm.jpg

I was going to use Lifecolor for this one, but my pot of Ocean grey has gone missing, so I used Tamiya, cut with some US Neutral grey to tone down the blue hue, and faded with Sky grey.

• Like 11

The Sword 18 all masked up and the Dark green painted with a mix of Tamiya Dark green and Olive Drab, lightened with Sky grey and white.

IMG_4043_zpsftmcmta5.jpg

Masking removed.

IMG_4050_zps1qkrags1.jpg

While I had the Dark green in the airbrush cup, I painted the cockpit door on the Eduard 16.

IMG_4044_zpsqme7g9dc.jpg

The instructions call for black, but I figured the door would more likely be a Dark green one taken from a DFS Spitfire.

Also painted the LF.16 rudder.

IMG_4041_zpsyadr5u9c.jpg

IMG_4045_zps5y1i3sar.jpg

• Like 12