Sorry, They're Late

Thanks for the encouraging words everybody. Sorry for the recent lack of updates, I've come down with the 'crud' again - it seems to be going around. Normally, I'm a fairly spry fellow, but the last few months have been terrible.

I managed to get the canopies masked, but also snapped the Eduard windshield right down the middle. I'll rob another from an overtrees set and worry about that one later (I do have the Falcon set too I guess, so plenty of options).

My Colourcoats arrived yesterday though, and my spirits were lifted.

• Like 5

Speedy recovery from me too.

You asked me whether the cockpit fitted on the Sword XV. I've been thinking about that, and seem to recall a fair amount of harsh language about the state of the world and the size (and utility) of my fingers. Which probably means it wasn't the easiest of jobs.

J

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back at these three (six).

The AZ canopy didn't really fit the fuselage, so I carefully separated the windscreen from the canopy hood.

IMG_4024_zpshpjmo1iw.jpg

I'm planning on using the left over hood section from an Eduard kit - even the high backs come with them.

The canopy is on the LF.16 and the leading edge rivets have been filled and sanded back some.

IMG_4026_zpswersu2xe.jpg

And the 18's have their modified SH rudders attached.

IMG_4027_zpsdqz4neov.jpg

Almost time for primer.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

The AZ canopy didn't really fit the fuselage, so I carefully separated the windscreen from the canopy hood.

IMG_4024_zpshpjmo1iw.jpg

I'm planning on using the left over hood section from an Eduard kit - even the high backs come with them.

The canopy is on the LF.16 and the leading edge rivets have been filled and sanded back some.

IMG_4026_zpswersu2xe.jpg

And the 18's have their modified SH rudders attached.

IMG_4027_zpsdqz4neov.jpg

Almost time for primer.

Looking like a fine set of spitfires there cookie! Looking forward to a primer coat.

Its good to see you back at them, and hope you're feeling much better

Rob

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Have we actually determined the exact number of Spitfires you're going to build?? :frantic:  :D:D

Good to see the Spitfire factory you back in business :)

Ciao

• Like 1

I have just spent a pleasant part of the early morning catching up on this Cookie. I am now out of 'likes' for the day :D!

Good to hear that you're feeling a bit better and back at the bench :thumbsup2: .

I get more and more scared of building Spitfires when I watch other people's builds; there's just *so* much to know about all the different kits and their pros and cons. It's still great to watch and learn.

The last one I completed was a Heller Mk Vb, very long ago. No idea how accurate it was, raised panel lines, very light (weight) plastic. It looked nice all the same :).

I have an AZ Mk VIII in the Drawer of Doom. Perhaps I should drag it out. I made a bit of a bobbins of the separate wing tips :undecided:.

This is an inspiring thread to read, great choice of subjects, learning lots. I hope I can take a seat at the back half way through the movie? I'll not munch my popcorn too loudly :popcorn: .

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone!

Glad to have you aboard Tony and Sleeper Service, I hope this proves worthy of such illustrious company.

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

The last one I completed was a Heller Mk Vb, very long ago. No idea how accurate it was, raised panel lines, very light (weight) plastic. It looked nice all the same :).

I have an AZ Mk VIII in the Drawer of Doom. Perhaps I should drag it out. I made a bit of a bobbins of the separate wing tips :undecided:.

I would very much like to see your Heller Mk V Tony, feel free to post a pic in this thread if you happen to have one handy.

Separate wingtips are a bane to all Spitfire modellers.

Primer is on. The Eduard LF.16 is in Stynylrez black, ready for a silver finish. I'm thinking of mixing Alclad Aluminum (or Airframe Aluminum) with Semi-matt Aluminum. Does anyone know if Alclad 'high shine' lacquers mix with their regular metallic lacquers? The Sword FR.18 is in Stynylrez black and grey mixed together (I added the grey straight to the cup after spraying the black on the 16).

IMG_4029_zpsjthvvvc9.jpg

The AZ FR.18 is in Colourcoats Medium Sea grey. Being an enamel, I didn't feel the need for a primer coat. After all the praise Colourcoats has received on this forum, I had high expectations.

They were exceeded. I shook the tin for quite a while, and then went to stir it with a toothpick to find that it was already a very nice consistency throughout without that thick layer at the bottom that's common with enamels. I thinned it with hardware store white spirit (mineral spirits) and it sprayed as nice as anything ever has.

I added a little Sky grey to the cup to give some variation to the underside.

IMG_4032_zpsadwgvkfc.jpg

I still need to learn to take better pics! I borrowed a nicer camera from my Dad, but the batteries were dead, so it's charging now.

• Like 12

Three beauties Cookie. I do like the variation... must practice.

I read somewhere here that Alclad colours don't mix, let alone different types. Might be best to try a bit first... obviously you were going to do that, egg sucking lesson again, sorry :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I would very much like to see your Heller Mk V Tony, feel free to post a pic in this thread if you happen to have one handy.

Separate wingtips are a bane to all Spitfire modellers.

Thanks Cookie, that's very kind :). Sadly all my models are still packed in boxes following a big move, interstate, from Queensland to the Australian Capital Territory. It's in there somewhere :frantic: .

I built it long ago (around 2003). All I have are two very poor 'photos of photos' I took 2 years ago, they're pretty awful, but this is the link:

https://flickr.com/photos/144781950@N05/sets/72157680488767266

I think the completed kit ended up with a tailplane and undercarriage broken off, but otherwise survived my UK - Australia move in 2008. It's in a Polish scheme, maybe a Skalski one.

Once I find it, I'll try to resurrect it and stick it on a very belated RFI. Hand painted (badly) :o ;).

At the very least the pictures in the link emphasise just how fabulous your models and photography are, in comparison to my horrendous fumblings of yore :D!

Very nice primer on all three here :thumbsup2: . The Colourcoats looks extremely good. All reports of this paint appear to be very positive.

Very much looking forward to the metal finish Spitfire :)

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

Great to see the primer coat on them, Cookie! :clap: And very nice tone variation on the AZ18 grey color! :worthy: 

PS: for better pics, you may want to try a better light and a light blue backdrop :winkgrin: 

Ciao

• Like 1