Sorry, They're Late

Learning, learning....:smartass:.

When was learning ever so much fun? Why not like this at school?

Im really looking forward to the next three Cookie.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

1. War time 91 Sqn Mk 21 made from a spare Sword high back fuselage and wings from the Airfix 22.

2. Airfix Mk 22 - I haven't decided on an individual aeroplane yet, but I'm going to attempt very clean DFS scheme.

3. 80 Sqn Mk 24 from the Airfix Mk 22 kit - I think it will be silver.

I'm especially interested in the Mk21 as 91 Squadron have a strong link to the town I live in (having saved it from a low-level Fw190 attack).

I'd like to see the Mk24 in RHKAAF markings with rockets and I can help with Mk22 markings, if you need some, as I have the Xtradecals sheet. Let me know if there are any that take your fancy (you can't have the Mk24 ones though).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Very tidy freehand camouflage by the way Cookie, if I could spray that neatly I might well give up masking altogether B)

12 hours ago, CedB said:

That free-hand camo looks very good - should save a lot of time :) 

11 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Three hand camouflage! So that's where I'm going wrong.

It was just some practice, as it was the first time my paint was acting just like those 'how to' Youtube videos say it should. I'll keep practicing though, and may be ready for a camouflage experiment soon (with some luck).

11 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I haven't been up to date with this thread but I just wanted to say that your Spitfires look fantastic. It's nice to see someone exploring the later marks for a change too.

Thanks Adrian, I'm beginning to realize that modelling a subject really is a great way to learn about it, and I'm having a great time exploring (good word!) the Spitfires of the Post War period.

6 hours ago, SleeperService said:

The Master moves on. This should be interesting, the others have been fantastic!

I believe you have us confused Sleeper, the real Master sees a sheet of plastic and decides it should be a tank.

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Wonderful modelling Cookie and great to see you've got more on the go!! :popcorn::thumbsup:

Thanks Stix!

5 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Learning, learning....:smartass:.

When was learning ever so much fun? Why not like this at school?

Im really looking forward to the next three Cookie.

Oh man, how much better would school have been with model airplanes?

4 hours ago, Beard said:

I'm especially interested in the Mk21 as 91 Squadron have a strong link to the town I live in (having saved it from a low-level Fw190 attack).

I'd like to see the Mk24 in RHKAAF markings with rockets and I can help with Mk22 markings, if you need some, as I have the Xtradecals sheet. Let me know if there are any that take your fancy (you can't have the Mk24 ones though).

I'll be sure to give the Mk 21 some extra care then - that reminds me that a 91 Sqn Mk XII needs to go on the list.

I have that same Xtradecals sheet too Simon! Any suggestions for the Mk 22? I'm having trouble deciding, the blue nosed 607 Sqn option is currently the front runner, just because of the blue spinner. I just know that I want to attempt a clean 'straight from the showroom floor' kind of finish. 

For the Mk 24, I've been debating, but I think I want to do a silver RAF 80 Sqn bird. Bedders (Justin) made a really cool RHKAAF Mk 24, and you have now recommended one too, so that route is very tempting. The Special Hobby kit (which I bought for the Mk 18 rudder) comes with a bunch of nice decals for 80 Sqn Mk 24's. The good news is, I can proceed up to the middle of the the decal stage before deciding, as they have nearly the same markings.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I'll be sure to give the Mk 21 some extra care then - that reminds me that a 91 Sqn Mk XII needs to go on the list.

I have that same Xtradecals sheet too Simon! Any suggestions for the Mk 22? I'm having trouble deciding, the blue nosed 607 Sqn option is currently the front runner, just because of the blue spinner. I just know that I want to attempt a clean 'straight from the showroom floor' kind of finish. 

For the Mk 24, I've been debating, but I think I want to do a silver RAF 80 Sqn bird. Bedders (Justin) made a really cool RHKAAF Mk 24, and you have now recommended one too, so that route is very tempting. The Special Hobby kit (which I bought for the Mk 18 rudder) comes with a bunch of nice decals for 80 Sqn Mk 24's. The good news is, I can proceed up to the middle of the the decal stage before deciding, as they have nearly the same markings.

A 91 Squadron XII would be very nice. 

Sadly I've just closed the attic up for the evening so can't get my hands on my decal sheet but the blue-nosed one is quite cool.

Now, I'd do a camouflaged 24, possibly with Korean War stripes but I do know that I really need to get another SH Spitfire, probably the Seafire 47... only because I made such a hash of the last one I tried.

• Like 1

The Sword fuselage requires a spacer to fit the Quickboost cowl top designed for the Fujimi kit.

IMG_4330_zpsa9bu2omu.jpg

IMG_4331_zpsfykn3rf8.jpg

A rare use of Squadron green putt to blend the fuselage, plastic spacer and resin cowl.

IMG_4332_zpsxz4lqcva.jpg

A little metaliser to check the seam.

IMG_4333_zpsinb0ahye.jpg

Joined by the two Airfix fuselages.

IMG_4339_zpsxp5ec2ef.jpg

Away we go.

• Like 12

Thanks everybody!

On 3/24/2017 at 1:57 AM, giemme said:

Cookie, have you been using the brush technique for the metallizer?

Yes, it's a simple and quick way to check for seams. Just brush on a little metalizer, you don't even have to clean the brush afterwards.

I've used the same brush for a year or two now. Just shake up the bottle and load the brush from the lid - this is important, because getting too much of the lacquer can result in eating away at the plastic and just absorbing what's left in the lid is always a safe amount.

IMG_4348_zpsoindhgyr.jpg

The Airfix wings are now attached to the Sword fuselage.

IMG_4349_zpsslbiea0f.jpg

It took a bit more to convince the plastic to fit than I expected.

I ended up detaching the aft portion of the wing and fit it separate.

IMG_4340_zpskm5e9yeh.jpg

It'll take some putty and sanding to get it all straightened out.

In other news, the new hatch has been scribed in the Airfix Mk 24.

IMG_4347_zpsq3rcfk2y.jpg

Now I need to remove the old hatch behind it.

Ooooh, I'm realizing that I may need to make some more labels for these three - sorry Ced, I'll get on that.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The Airfix wings are now attached to the Sword fuselage.

Truly this is Castle Frankenstein...:D

Super Supermarining here Cookie.:thumbsup2:

A nice hint on the metallizer/seam technique btw: when somebody says 'I've always used x for the last couple of years' I get a glimpse into how the human race developed tools...

Loverly stuff,

Tony

• Like 3

On 20/03/2017 at 8:33 PM, Cookenbacher said:

I believe you have us confused Sleeper, the real Master sees a sheet of plastic and decides it should be a tank.

You are too kind Sir! :blush:

Personally I find AFVs much easier but I'm getting into these Flying Machines rather more these days helped by topics like this. Knowing my limits I've gone 48th as even magnifiers can't help my banana sized fingers....

More nice work your scribing is very neat, maybe one day....

• Like 1

Some Perfect Plastic Putty slathered on the MK 21

IMG_4352_zpsrcmhpdax.jpg

Sorry it's blurry.

IMG_4353_zpsvyupmetz.jpg

Cleaned up with a damp Q-tip.

IMG_4354_zpscoalho4r.jpg

IMG_4356_zpsvttfgxjs.jpg

The main problem with PPP is that it shrinks quite a bit when drying, so this will probably require a second application.

The Mk 22 has its wings and tail attached.

IMG_4358_zpsf6pw3kf4.jpg

The Mk 24 is in the background, its superfluous hatch filled with acrylic paint ready to be sanded.

• Like 12

Noce and proper job with PPP, Cookie :clap:

I lately tend to remove only the main excess of PPP with a q-tip, and do the actual levelling and refining with sanding sticks, to avoid the shrinking. Seems to be working .... so far :)

Ciao

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Sorry it's blurry.

His eager hands trembled with excitement as he peeled away layers of filler to reveal the gentle curves of a Spitfire.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

His eager hands trembled with excitement as he peeled away layers of filler to reveal the gentle curves of a Spitfire.

You're definitely a poet! And I mean it :)

Ciao

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice Cookie, that PPP cleaned up nicely. Nice! :) 

Thanks for the nice, nice words Ced.

11 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

I've seen so many good reviews of PPP and seeing how easy it is to clear up is swaying me in favour of buying some. Nice work on Frankenspit, Cookie!

You really can't go wrong, it's good stuff.

11 hours ago, giemme said:

I lately tend to remove only the main excess of PPP with a q-tip, and do the actual levelling and refining with sanding sticks, to avoid the shrinking. Seems to be working .... so far :)

That's good advice, thanks Giemme. I like that PPP can be sanded, as opposed to Vallejo's water based putty. 

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

It's funny because it's true.

8 hours ago, giemme said:

You're definitely a poet! And I mean it :)

Also true. Who knew hedgehogs were so eloquent?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, I ran into a bit of a problem with the Mk 21. When it came time for the canopy, I learned that the canopies from Falcon vacuform set, Tamiya Mk V, Eduard, and AZ Mk 21 set do not fit the Sword Mk XIV fuselage. The main problem was with the small non-moving rear portion. I figured that I could get away with mixing and matching the Airfix 22 windscreen, the Eduard 'open' canopy and a scratch rear portion, with the canopy in the open position so that the Eduard and Airfix portions would not have to match up.

Well, it wasn't so difficult to scratch the clear bit from plastic cups.

IMG_4383_zpszz27k6cu.jpg

I made about ten of them, and just had a heck of a time attaching them, as they'd fling off into space and were impossible to find again. And when I did find one, I was never sure if it was the one I had just carefully trimmed to fit or not. On the five thousandth occasion of dropping another clear part and diving for it, my hat (I think) caught an over hanging portion of the 21 and flung it surprisingly high into the air. The tile floor took care of the rest. I can neither confirm nor deny a second flight. I then salvaged the resin cowl, and the cockpit parts.

Well, there's more than one way to make a 1/72 Spitfire Mk 21.

First I removed a bit from the rotund Special Hobby kit.

IMG_4371_zps3965oi79.jpg

And a bit from an Eduard Mk VIII overtree.

IMG_4372_zpshpbrown4.jpg

An put them together.

IMG_4373_zpspjkqdopc.jpg

Got the Eduard cockpit together.

IMG_4376_zpsdq1ewjng.jpg

IMG_4378_zpsqt156oiq.jpg

It took a bit of filing to get the SH tail halves thin enough to fit the Eduard fuselage.

IMG_4379_zpsvmgpwtyj.jpg

IMG_4380_zpsuz64dq8c.jpg

But they did eventually. Cleanup required of course.

IMG_4382_zpsc0ckg9ij.jpg

The Airfix 22 wings offer too narrow of a gap for the Eduard roots, but this allows you to sand away until the fit is very good, with no gaps.

IMG_4384_zpsz2xulkbk.jpg

I cut the Airfix 22 Griffon nose right at the lower panel line, and attached it to the wing leading edge using blue-tack to rest it on in order to get the angle right. I had to add a small spacer in order for the width of the Airfix cowl to match up.

IMG_4388_zpsnjaguoog.jpg

IMG_4389_zps2qz0brlv.jpg

This way, the wing root matches hybrid fuselage, but results in quite a gap. I could have cut the Airfix nose further back, but I figured it would be easier to fill the resulting gap that to precisely measure where to make the cut with no panel lines for reference.

IMG_4394_zpsfzpq0fjt.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with the line up now.

IMG_4396_zps1inmbaf8.jpg

And I can be sure that I have a canopy that fits the fuselage!

The new 21 is almost caught up now.

Oh, and I added a little scoop to the 22, hooray!

IMG_4369_zpsbjaclrfh.jpg

• Like 12