Sorry, They're Late

I'm in need of a little luck, and as Stew Dapple and Procopius have proven, nothing does so like building Spitfires.

I've had a number of Spitfire projects in the planning stages for a while now, and it's time to quit dilly-dallying get something started. I rummaged through the stash - both decal and kit - and have gotten everything together to begin my 1/72 late Spitfire project, which consists of:

1. 32 Sqn Spitfire FR.18 based on This Picture

I'm planning on using the new Sword FR XIV kit, with a rudder from the Special Hobby Mk 21 kit. Apparently (after lots of searching here on BM), the rudder used for Mk 21 contra-props was identical to that used on the XVIII, while the five-bladed prop Mk 21's shared the same rudder with the Mk XIV. The wings will also require a little panel line work, but I think I can get it done.

IMG_3945_zpsknygknay.jpg

The rudders marked up on the SH sprues.

IMG_3951_zpsxyxhabkx.jpg

2. 208 Sqn Spitfire FR 18  in the Dark Earth/Light Slate Grey scheme

IMG_3949_zps9ir1mp3y.jpg

I'll use the AZ Mk XVIII kit for this one. 

IMG_3943_zpsgawpwhpz.jpg

As the Wooksta has pointed out, the AZ kit's rudder is a little wonky and I think I'll try and replace it. I'm the SH rudder on the Sword kit, so I'll try and acquire one of the new Freightdog resin replacements or just invest in another SH kit (I can't stress enough how useful those kits are even if you don't build the actual [some say misshapen] model). I'll also be using the AZ wing as a template for rescribing the Sword kit.

Sword wing above, and AZ below.

IMG_3957_zpssz0wgvip.jpg

While both the low back FR XIV and Mk 18 had E-wings, the Mk 18 had the C-wing MG panels completely removed, and a Desert Survival kit compartment in their place.

Here's a random fuselage comparison: AZ above and Sword below.

IMG_3953_zpsv1bpebpo.jpg

3. 612 Sqn Spitfire LF 16 based on this Picture

I'm planning on using the new Eduard Mk XVI kit for this one - well I think it will be the Mk IXe overtrees which are identical to the 'early' Mk XVI sprues. I just have to remember to use the proper left cowling half. Also, PC, if you're reading this, note the ailerons askew in the pic, so I'll attempt to take advantage of the unpopular separate ailerons 'feature' in the Eduard kit.

I've got the Freightdog decal set for this one (8W-K second from top) - silver Spitfire with mismatched panels, what's not to love?

IMG_3947_zps9vvacqj4.jpg

OK that's three!

• Like 15

Also here is a bonus late Spitfire that is also late.

A late late Spitfire.

The low back Sword kits come with a spare high back fuselage. The Airfix Mk 22 wing is one of the most elegant 1/72 objects in our hobby. Gwart has shown that they fit reasonably well, so a Mk 21 may be in the offing as well. And maybe a 22, and maybe a 24 if I can get a hold of the Freightdog set for that one while acquiring a Mk 18 rudder or two. That could be another interesting trio. We'll see how it goes.

Airfix wing, Sword fuselage.

IMG_3942_zpsc65pi57e.jpg

Quickboost cowl, Sword fuselage.

IMG_3941_zpstim7ym1x.jpg

• Like 19

I'm in too - Cookie Spitfire thread, great!

Giorgio I think it's three, but if it's anything like Cookie's other multi-builds I'll get completely lost on which is which... any chance of some small labels Cookie for those of us who, sadly, can't tell one from the other?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CedB said:

Giorgio I think it's three

It's three in the first post, but Cookie mentions a bonus MK21 in his second post, so I think we're talking about four (minimum) :frantic: Or am I totally mistaken? 

Nonetheless, as Rob85 says, it's going to be epic

Ciao

• Like 2

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Cookie, wait a minute: how many are you exactly building at the same time? I've lost the count! :frantic:  :frantic:

I apologize for the dense nature of the first two posts, I was trying to get all the information that I've spent the last few months acquiring into one place so I wouldn't forget it! I can see how it probably didn't make for very riveting reading, so thanks for tagging along.

I think I'll build the first three together:

1. Sword FR18

2. AZ FR18

3. Eduard LF16

With a second trio waiting in the wings:

1. Sword/Airfix combo F21

2. Airfix F22

3. Airfix/Freightdog F24

7 hours ago, CedB said:

any chance of some small labels Cookie for those of us who, sadly, can't tell one from the other?

Great idea Ced, I'll put together some labels for the pics!

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Six! What a treat!

its great to have you back building spitfires cookie

Rob

Agreed 100%! :thumbsup:

Cookie, I'm attempting my first multiple (double actually) build right after the current Harrier, but that's going to be nothing compared to yours! :):winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 2

Cookie,

I have some spares from an ill-fated attempt at the Special Hobby Seafire 47, I can send you the relevant rudder. Of course if you'd prefer to buy another kit, I won't stop you... the majority of my income is from holding the copyright for the words 'Spitfire' and 'Seafire'.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Beard said:

the majority of my income is from holding the copyright for the words 'Spitfire' and 'Seafire'.

I often wonder how much of the Boeing corporate HQ building (which I walk past on my way to work) I've personally paid for via licensing fees on F-4 Phantom kits.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I often wonder how much of the Boeing corporate HQ building (which I walk past on my way to work) I've personally paid for via licensing fees on F-4 Phantom kits.

I was interested enough to do some research on that but couldn't find an easy answer. As I can't be bothered to either look through the company account or email them, I'll go back to drinking tea.

• Like 3

I am all in favor of Griffon-engined Sptfires!

Actually, the more the merrier!

The only one I own is the Academy Mk XIV (and that will definitely attract unsavory projectiles aplenty!), and I must be the only silly billy that intend building it...

Your threads have the potential to be really fun!

JR

• Like 2

On 12/01/2017 at 6:00 PM, Beard said:

Cookie,

I have some spares from an ill-fated attempt at the Special Hobby Seafire 47, I can send you the relevant rudder. Of course if you'd prefer to buy another kit, I won't stop you... the majority of my income is from holding the copyright for the words 'Spitfire' and 'Seafire'.

Use the Seafire 47 wreckage to do a 47 from the lovely Airfix 22 Beard

• Like 2

On 1/12/2017 at 9:04 AM, rob85 said:

Six! What a treat!

its great to have you back building spitfires cookie

Cheers Rob, I'd hoped to get started today, but ended up going to the doc to try and take care of sinus problems that have been plaguing me since November. Hopefully on the mend now.

On 1/12/2017 at 9:17 AM, giemme said:

Cookie, I'm attempting my first multiple (double actually) build right after the current Harrier, but that's going to be nothing compared to yours! :):winkgrin:

Ooooh, I'm looking forward to that double Giemme!

On 1/12/2017 at 11:00 AM, Beard said:

Cookie,

Thanks for the offer Simon, but I may have impulsively ordered a SH Mk24 yesterday, along with Eduard overtrees for a 'late' wing XVI so it will have overwing landing gear bumps. I'm guessing my LF.16 should have them.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

along with Eduard overtrees for a 'late' wing XVI so it will have overwing landing gear bumps. I'm guessing my LF.16 should have them.

Great minds! I also want to build that Spit, and my overtrees just came in today.

• Like 2