Sorry, They're Late

17 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

so really the decider could be what good options you have in the Decal Bank? :D

Hmm, yes, perhaps Gladych's Mk IX, 'Pengie', to go along with his Mk V and P-47. Or there's a Mk VIII in the book that comes with the Eduard 'Aussie VIII' combo that has caught my eye. Or there's RF-G, a 303 Sqn Mk IX. Or, I'm still interested in building a Mk Vc from the Eduard IX using the nose from a spare Sword fuselage. Thinking about it is half the fun! 

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

:) just a little! I have managed to get some work done on my airfix vb's so will post an update when time permits!

Looking forward to the update Rob! Any pics from Wales?

Well, the 21 and 22 are done, thus concluding this Spitfire double triple.

IMG_4667_zpsvoamdnnn.jpg

EDIT: The RFI for the 21 and 22 is HERE.

Here are all six:

IMG_4760_zpsigsd7qth.jpg

Clockwise from the top:

Eduard LF.16 - 612 Sqn

Speduairfix Mk 21 - 91 Sqn

Airfix Mk 22 - 613 Sqn

Airfix Mk 24 - 80 Sqn

AZ Models FR.18 - 208 Sqn

Sword FR.18 - 32 Sqn

Thanks for coming along for the ride everybody!

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

It sure was an enjoyable ride! :clap::clap: Thanks to you for setting up this multiple/surgical build :worthy:

Off to the RFI now :pilot:

Ciao

• Like 1

It's been a joy to watch mate! They are all magnificent, well done.

no Wales yet! Though I should have got some pics today as it was a beautiful sunny day and I was on a very nice farm with uninterrupted views of the black mountains... however I was being shot at with co workers with paintball guns... i acquitted myself well, to their surprise! I managed to keep quiet that I was a qualified RAF and ATC marksman in my youf and spent most my weekends from 15-24 shooting BB guns in woodlands and disused buildings. My team very much won every game and performed a cracking outflanking resulting in a surprise attack that wiped them out... consider this team well and truely built! I bloody ache now... I'm not 24 anymore it would appear

Rob

• Like 3

Take a bow cookie, that is one hell of a collection and thread, really well done. To do all 6 to that standard is simply superb, my fav is probably the Mk 21 with the worn paint (nailed it!), the rear fuselage roundels look very authentic to me too, how did you do the 'pastel desaturation'? Because of you I have been eyeing  a Spitfire for a while now :) , when the time comes this thread will provide some fantastic motivation.

Look forward to the B-57/F-106 duo!

David

• Like 1

On 26 April 2017 at 23:43, Cookenbacher said:

Here's the Colourcoats Ocean grey on the Mk 22.

IMG_4493_zps8ibopahk.jpg

Masked and the Dark green on.

IMG_4495_zpsjggaqws1.jpg

IMG_4498_zps3vkbhijm.jpg

Just a quick one mate, how did you get those masks to stay on?

Tried using those templates too, even cut those slots out to help hold them down with tape but wasn't good enough. 

Yours appear to be 'floating' ?

Tony

• Like 4

Yep, please Cookie

Share that secret? I tried a kind of blue tack but it has been a nightmare.

Thank you beforehand.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

3 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Just a quick one mate, how did you get those masks to stay on?

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Yep, please Cookie

Share that secret? I tried a kind of blue tack but it has been a nightmare.

I just use 'loops' of Tamiya tape, so yes they do float a couple mm above the surface. I've also used double sided tape and it works too while keeping the mask closer to the surface, but I prefer the loop method as the the demarcation is just a bit softer that way.

I made that sound like I discovered that on purpose, but I just used loops one day after watching someone else's build ( @Procopius maybe? He's who taught me about the masks in the first place), and found that I liked the effect.

4 hours ago, mirageiv said:

how did you do the 'pastel desaturation'? Because of you I have been eyeing  a Spitfire for a while now :) , when the time comes this thread will provide some fantastic motivation.

Apply decals the 'normal' way, and make sure to give them a good matt coat when you're done. I've been using artist chalk pastels and I shave/file/mix some white, brown and a tiny amount of black to make a sort of 'blah' beige color, and then apply a tiny amount with either a paper stipple(?) or q-tip and then blend in with a q-tip. Any excess that crosses the 'boundary' of the roundel can be cleaned up with a damp q-tip (maybe the other side of the one used to blend if you feel like being efficient). If you're unhappy, it can be easily removed and just try again. I always apply pastels as the last step because of that. I have never tried to varnish over them as I think that would cause a mess. They're surprisingly robust though, as long as the model doesn't get wet.

Really looking forward to your future Spitfires David! If they turn out half as good as your F-104's, they'll be ten times better than mine.

• Like 4

On 5/9/2017 at 3:16 PM, Cookenbacher said:

Hmm, yes, perhaps Gladych's Mk IX, 'Pengie', to go along with his Mk V and P-47. Or there's a Mk VIII in the book that comes with the Eduard 'Aussie VIII' combo that has caught my eye. Or there's RF-G, a 303 Sqn Mk IX. Or, I'm still interested in building a Mk Vc from the Eduard IX using the nose from a spare Sword fuselage. Thinking about it is half the fun! 

Looking forward to the update Rob! Any pics from Wales?

Well, the 21 and 22 are done, thus concluding this Spitfire double triple.

IMG_4667_zpsvoamdnnn.jpg

EDIT: The RFI for the 21 and 22 is HERE.

Here are all six:

IMG_4760_zpsigsd7qth.jpg

Clockwise from the top:

Eduard LF.16 - 612 Sqn

Speduairfix Mk 21 - 91 Sqn

Airfix Mk 22 - 613 Sqn

Airfix Mk 24 - 80 Sqn

AZ Models FR.18 - 208 Sqn

Sword FR.18 - 32 Sqn

Beautiful work as always!

41 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I do use loops of tape, though I'm sure I saw it somewhere else first.

Could it have been J. M. Villalba's work? I know that's where I saw it:

19.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

Could it have been J. M. Villalba's work? I know that's where I saw it

No, I don't think so.

• Like 1