Sorry, They're Late

There is some serious scratching going on here Cookie, saws and plasticard all over the place - but they're really coming together.

5 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I made about ten of them, and just had a heck of a time attaching them, as they'd fling off into space and were impossible to find again. And when I did find one, I was never sure if it was the one I had just carefully trimmed to fit or not.

I'm really sorry, but I laughed at that... a lot! glad you're sorted now :) 

• Like 1

Despite the troubles you had, this is a very entertaining and interesting progress report! :clap: And you're getting more and more audacious with plastic surgery :worthy:

Ciao

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CedB said:

I'm really sorry, but I laughed at that... a lot! glad you're sorted now :) 

Luckily, I managed to grab some footage of my canopy travails, if you're interested Ced.

16 minutes ago, giemme said:

Despite the troubles you had, this is a very entertaining and interesting progress report! :clap: And you're getting more and more audacious with plastic surgery :worthy:

Thanks Giemme!

• Like 2

Only just caught up with this thread - really entertaining and informative 

My main takeaway point is that if I want to keep using kit modelling for relaxation not to get into the dark arts of kit bashing. Fun to read about but I dread to think what trying to work to this standard would do to my blood pressure 

• Like 1

Nice scoop cookie, and well done with the  mk 21 as ever some canny cutting! Really shaping up well!

sorry to hear about the misfortune with things pinging away from you, I feel your pain, when trying to add the little lumps on the engine cowl of my Boston so many pinged away from me I was only left with enough for one engine! Very frustrating things that ping... apart from microwaves, they are rather helpful 

Rob

• Like 2

Hi Cookie,

great clip you put in your thread. Fantastic movies to watch. My wife hates them and thinks I am totally deranged to watch them and laugh out loud. She may be right...

Kit bashing of the first order!

Superb job

JR

• Like 1

A quick update on Mk 18 rudder dimensions based on a discussion this thread.

XIV_XVIII_Rudder_zpsu1olbf44.jpg

XVIII_Dim_zpsntat03xr.jpg

IMG_44Spit18Dim_zpsh3mlodnz.jpg

Above is a comparison of the Freightdog, Special Hobby, and AZ Mk 18 tail dimensions. As you can see, all are too wide in chord with the SH the most egregious at the trim tab, and the Freightdog at the horn. I ended up using the SH rudder and taking about 1.5 mm off the leading edge.

OK, normal broadcasting to return soon.

• Like 7

Fascinating and effective surgery for the Mark 21.

Well done on getting the mojo back, after what sounds like an exercise in frustration with the canopy :banghead: !

I like the 'never say die' spirit :)

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Cookie you've done a great job on the Eduard/Airfix fuselage merger. Looks more complicated than one might have thought, though I have read somewhere that the Airfix nose might be a tad slender, which seems to be the case when seen mated up to the Eduard. Still, you've sorted that out very well. I agree on the SH rudder too - miles too broad and I took the same approach with one on my (still unfinished) XVIII.

Justin

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 10:55 PM, Beard said:

There's some serious kit-bashing going on here and it's very impressive.

Thanks Simon, we'll see if this one turns out.

On 4/6/2017 at 0:04 AM, LostCosmonauts said:

My main takeaway point is that if I want to keep using kit modelling for relaxation not to get into the dark arts of kit bashing. Fun to read about but I dread to think what trying to work to this standard would do to my blood pressure 

It's all in good fun, and it's quite easy to find WIP threads here on Britmodeller where folks have gotten much more carried away than this. I'm still a bit of a novice at plastic bashing. My advice at this point is to not be fearful, it's easier than you'd expect (except for simple transparencies, it seems). Either way, there are enough wonderful kits out there, that we could spend several lifetimes of enjoyment building them without having to bash a single one, so there is really no imperative to do so. 

On 4/6/2017 at 5:30 AM, rob85 said:

sorry to hear about the misfortune with things pinging away from you, I feel your pain, when trying to add the little lumps on the engine cowl of my Boston so many pinged away from me I was only left with enough for one engine! Very frustrating things that ping... apart from microwaves, they are rather helpful 

Just when I felt free to hate all pinging things, you go and bring up microwaves Rob. Yes, you're right, they are quite wonderful, and you've saved me from the intellectually and morally bankrupt position of blanket judging every pinging thing!

Inspired by your pics of your walk, I took a few pics from my parents' back yard.

100_0679_zpszyyvzflb.jpg

The Organ Mountains - I used to be able to see them from my backyard, but they built another house there, so I had to take the pic from my folks' place.

100_0676_zpsbsy5rjyh.jpg

I don't know whether the flowers smell good or not. I don't think anyone does, besides perhaps, ol' Holey Face Jones.

On 4/6/2017 at 0:14 PM, jean said:

great clip you put in your thread. Fantastic movies to watch. My wife hates them and thinks I am totally deranged to watch them and laugh out loud. She may be right...

I was searching for one of those silent films where the comedy is slapstick and the film speed seems just a little too fast, and surprisingly few came up. And yes, I spent much more time than I care to admit watching them, mesmerized. The one I linked to has some pretty impressive stunts, while also capturing the lunacy of "Cookie drops part again" that I was looking for.

On 4/7/2017 at 0:58 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

I like the 'never say die' spirit :)

Thanks Tony T!

22 hours ago, Bedders said:

Cookie you've done a great job on the Eduard/Airfix fuselage merger. Looks more complicated than one might have thought, though I have read somewhere that the Airfix nose might be a tad slender, which seems to be the case when seen mated up to the Eduard. Still, you've sorted that out very well. I agree on the SH rudder too - miles too broad and I took the same approach with one on my (still unfinished) XVIII.

The Airfix 22 nose was noticeably slender compared to the Sword and Quickboost/Fujimi Mk 14 nose, and mating it to the Eduard VIII confirmed it - I think the Eduard is probably between the Airfix and Sword/Quickboost/Fujimi in nose thickness.

The thickness with the thin plasticard shim just about matches up. Of course mine ended up just off center - I can't tell by eye, but one side required a touch of sanding on the Airfix nose to match up, and the other a tiny bit off of the Eduard fuselage.

IMG_4397_zpsabsgycpp.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Cookie,

impressive surgery on all these different body parts from various donors.

Do you do hip replacement in you day job, or is it a hobby?

Superb all around.

JR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2017 at 11:49 AM, PlaStix said:

Fascinating progress updates since my last visit. Looking good! :goodjob:

Thanks Stix! One day I'll have to give a go with spinning props as you have done with your Mosquito, but certainly not today!

On 4/10/2017 at 1:52 PM, jean said:

impressive surgery on all these different body parts from various donors.

Do you do hip replacement in you day job, or is it a hobby?

Superb all around.

Thanks JR, it's a good thing I don't do hip surgery - people would be walking around with plastic propeller blades inside them, and the Perfect Plastic Putty holding everything together would only be good for one or two steps.

Well these three are really living up to their billing: sorry they're late.

But there is some primer on the Mk 24 - it's black Stynylrez.

IMG_4420_zpsomuvu8v9.jpg

The Mk 22 has a Sky patch ready to be masked.

IMG_4422_zpsa5mawd79.jpg

The Mk 21 is coming along as well.

IMG_4427_zpsusdp5q3q.jpg

The new nose needs a little more re-scribing on the left side.

IMG_4426_zps7vg7rzht.jpg

But it's beginning to look like a 21 now.

• Like 11

I am getting somewhat confused with all these nose jobs, etc. I am in sore need of a refresher course on late marks Griffon engined Spitfires and I must pull out the Modellers' notes on the subject out of my book case.

But I am not that ignorant to realise you are doing a sterling job!

Hatta boy!

JR

• Like 1

They are really taking shape cookie, fine work! Sorry I have kept updated on your progress as much as normal and missed a couple of posts, the mountains look epic! Don't get that kind of thing by me, need to take the car to mordor for that.... talking of wales a couple of the lads at work and I have decided to do a 10 mile hike over pen-y-fan for  Alzheimer's, it's our stores charity, I'll take some pics there if we do it.

Rob

• Like 2

Thanks everybody!

Looking forward to the pictures from your hike Rob - I really enjoyed seeing the ones from your local walks, so bring on Wales.

Just a small update today, got the Colourcoats Medium Sea grey on the bottoms of the 21 and 22.

IMG_4443_zpsxz1yzldj.jpg

The 22 is on the left and, as it's my attempt at a 'just off the showroom floor' build, I didn't do any fading. The 21 got a bit of Medium Sea grey faded with Sky grey.

• Like 9

Very nice Cookie - I really admire the variation on your finishes and I aspire to getting close with more practice.

Lovely stuff :) 

• Like 2