Sorry, They're Late

On 1/13/2017 at 4:02 PM, Procopius said:

Great minds! I also want to build that Spit, and my overtrees just came in today.

I ended up getting the bubble top ones, simply because it's Sprue Bros had - so I'll mix and match as always. Which ones did you get?

On 1/14/2017 at 1:05 AM, rob85 said:

How the doc has helped and you start feeling better

Thanks Rob, I'm in my third round of antibiotics in as many months - hopefully they take.

On 1/14/2017 at 2:10 AM, mirageiv said:

Taking on 6 (I think?!), great effort! ^_^ I look forward to watching them come together, as always your build threads are a lesson in getting thing done and done fantastically too!

Thanks David - I'm still in awe of your recently completed F-16.

Feel free to skip to the next post (where the builds actually begin), unless you're interested in Spitfire XVIII rudder dimensions.

Here's nice comparison between the XIV and XVIII rudder posted by John Aero a while back. The XIV is in blue and the XVIII in red.

XIV_XVIII_Rudder_zpsu1olbf44.jpg

Gwart (thanks Gwart!) sent me the dimensions of the Freightdog XVIII rudder for the Fujimi kit for comparison with the SH tail:

XVIII_Dim_zpsntat03xr.jpg

I measured the SH and AZ rudders myself, and the results are below - all dimensions in mm. The 'Actual' dimensions come from the above photo and converted to mm in 1/72 (inches x 25.4 / 72).

IMG_44Spit18Dim_zpsh3mlodnz.jpg

As you can see, none of them are perfect (as usual). I prepared to forge ahead with the SH rudders, because, like the Wildcat/Martlet at beginning of WWII, it may not be the best, but it has the great advantage of being on hand. I may shave a little off the 'hinge' area in order to bring it more in line with the Freightdog and AZ chord.

OK, on to the regularly scheduled, i.e. late, program.

THIS POST WAS EDITED TO INCLUDE A REVISED TABLE FOR VARIOUS SPITFIRE MK 18 RUDDER DIMENSIONS

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I ended up getting the bubble top ones, simply because it's Sprue Bros had - so I'll mix and match as always. Which ones did you get?

Two of the bubbletop late wing. I'll just swap their wings for the wings in one of my XVI combo boxings, and build a lowback and a bubbletop late post-war Spit.

• Like 1

I started out by drilling pilot holes for the camera ports on the AZ 18.

IMG_3959_zpsrdf4ozhg.jpg

Oh wait, I'm pretty sure it's the AZ kit, if only there were some Ced suggested labels to know for sure.

IMG_3960_zpsiraszfwo.jpg

Oh look, there it is! And the camera ports look like they're about complete.

I then decided that that was enough Mk 18 business for the day and turned my attention to the much anticipated Eduard Mk 16 kit.

IMG_3961_zpsphwl64fu.jpg

IMG_3964_zps0q07p1hb.jpg

IMG_3972_zps0n1sdkqr.jpg

I building it from an 'overtrees' boxing, so no fancy PE to show off. I have to say that the Eduard cockpit is quite a bit of work, but everything seems to fit after all is said and done.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

I then decided that that was enough Mk 18 business for the day and turned my attention to the much anticipated Eduard Mk 16 kit.

It goes together surprisingly quickly, Doesn't it, though? For me the canopy join to the fuselage required additional fettling in two out of the three I'm working on. 

• Like 2

Labels! That's great and very kind of you Cookie... I'll be able to keep track now and I may even be able to learn some of the differences between the marks! I could always look it up I guess... :) 

I do admire your (and others) knowledge of this stuff. I've just had a quick look at spitfire.com and, if I ever stop kit bashing and do some serious modelling, there's some interesting stuff about. At the moment though I'm happy to 'build the kit', but then I used to be happy with seams...

Great work on the camera holes, very neat, and the Mk XIV internals look really good.

• Like 1

You've got my head swimming trying to follow all these Spitfires!

It looks like the Eduard Mk XVI is scaled down from the 1/48 version so should be good, and will also have the overwing " teardrops " which should also apply to the MK 18s.

John

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Procopius said:

It goes together surprisingly quickly, Doesn't it, though? For me the canopy join to the fuselage required additional fettling in two out of the three I'm working on. 

The cockpit seemed like a long haul to me - when I was done, my first thought was, "I could have had both XVIII's assembled by now." That said, everything fits perfectly, it's exceptionally well designed. It I ever decide to attempt a true Britmodeller level 'nice cockpit', this is the kit I'll start with.

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Labels! That's great and very kind of you Cookie... I'll be able to keep track now and I may even be able to learn some of the differences between the marks! I could always look it up I guess... :) 

I do admire your (and others) knowledge of this stuff. I've just had a quick look at spitfire.com and, if I ever stop kit bashing and do some serious modelling, there's some interesting stuff about. At the moment though I'm happy to 'build the kit', but then I used to be happy with seams...

Great work on the camera holes, very neat, and the Mk XIV internals look really good.

Thanks Ced, and cheers for the label idea - I think they will be helpful for me too.

I think the AZ kit I'm building is virtually identical to the AZ Mk14 kit you're currently making resin pilots for(!). As an introduction to the useless and irritating world of kit dimension critique, I invite you to take the spare low back fuselage halves from your current Mk14 kit and compare their lengths to that of the included high back fuselage.

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

You've got my head swimming trying to follow all these Spitfires!

It looks like the Eduard Mk XVI is scaled down from the 1/48 version so should be good, and will also have the overwing " teardrops " which should also apply to the MK 18s.

John

Great to see you here John! I'll try and keep everything straight - I'm using labels now.

I've been trying to figure out if the Mk18 had the overwing fairings - the photos in this thread suggest they didn't.

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Ooooo.....lots of Spitfires!! :pilot::popcorn:

Good start so far!

KInd regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, so glad to have you along!

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

Very organised cookie, the labels are very helpful!

nice work on the eduard cock pit looking very good

Rob

Cheers Rob, what have you got on tap for your next build after the P-38?

• Like 2

I invite you to take the spare low back fuselage halves from your current Mk14 kit and compare their lengths to that of the included high back fuselage.

32230305961_aacc96c1e4_z.jpg

I think the appropriate phrase, used by the younger members of our species, is WTF?

• Like 5

Well as you asked cookie...

i did attempt to build a mustang in the last  4 days of the GB, but failed.... just mind! Got it to Matt coat, just need to add the last bits.... so I will finish that and the p38.

dont want to get into my unfinished business just yet so I will let you personally decide which I will build next...

In the stash is...

two mkii c hurricanes/ sea hurricanes 

spitfire mk22 

martlet

hellcat 

wildcat

airfix p 40

acadamy p 40

about 4 airfix spitfire vb's and a vc to chop up with a mki 

a hudson (please don't pick that! )

airfix lancaster

acadamy liberator

spitfire mk xix 

dauntless 

mc 205 (frog)

mc 200 (revell)

tamiya zero

i think that's it.... the decision is yyyyyyoooouuuuurrrs (done in the style of blind date voice over man... couldn't find a short supporting clip to help our cousins overseas understand.... google it?)

anyway, be kind, but bold!

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Cookie, I had no idea you were going through some health issues.  I hope you get better soon.

Back to the models, great job so far. :clap: I have to keep in mind you're doing all of this in 1/72 ... :frantic: 

Ciao

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I think the appropriate phrase, used by the younger members of our species, is WTF?

I didn't abbreviate it when I did it, but yeah.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Sorry Ced, there's no unseeing it - the AZ high back fuselage is about as long as their Mk IX - so, a little short. It will still look like a nice XIV when done; see Bird, Navy.

4 hours ago, rob85 said:

I will let you personally decide which I will build next...

...anyway, be kind, but bold!

Rob

Wow, what an honour Rob!

After much respectful consideration, may I request the Wildcat? Is it the new Airfix kit? I'm really interested in that kit, but haven't gotten a hold of one yet. (And you thought I's say "Spitfire")

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Cookie, I had no idea you were going through some health issues.  I hope you get better soon.

I like New Mexico, but New Mexico doesn't like me.

2 hours ago, Bedders said:

Interesting Spitfire build alert! I'm hooked.

You are the king of interesting Spitfire builds!

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I didn't abbreviate it when I did it, but yeah.

"Wow, That's Fantastic"?

Probably not, I guess.

• Like 5

Warning! Warning Will Robinson!

I'm pretty sure that Special Hobby made exactly the same error with regard to the larger chord rudder on the 18, in that it's too tall.

Edit:  having just checked one in the stash, it is the exact same height as the narrower 14 rudder and thus incorrect.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
A visit from the Detail Gestapo
  • Like 2

"Wow, That's Fantastic"?

Probably not, I guess.

True fact: If I say "seriously?" it means I am enraged. It often emanates from the grotto when a part falls to the floor and passes through the lightspeed barrier on the second bounce.

• Like 2

Next, I started the Sword cockpit.

IMG_3977_zpsjrahcqcx.jpg

The Sword XIV is a much more difficult build than their Vc kit, which is one of my favorite.

IMG_3981_zps0hy3acqk.jpg

The ejector pin marks have to be removed in order to install the exhaust housings. I followed the instructions on their orientation, but I'm not sure if I installed them correctly as they don't line up with the slots on the cowl top, so I filed off the offending portion.

IMG_3982_zpspk8iuvkj.jpg

The cowl top is two pieces, and so I assembled them first, and used some plasticard the reinforce the joint.

IMG_3984_zpsqoxgo6k9.jpg

This was a poor decision. It was too difficult to align the cowl with the fuselage with the halves connected. I pried everything apart and attached one half at a time.

IMG_3986_zpsslzluyen.jpg

IMG_3988_zpsglithtoo.jpg

• Like 9

It looks better now, with a nice bead of superglue smeared over all of the seams and sanded away. I think I might invest in Quickboost cowl tops for the others in the stash.

IMG_3993_zpsaifx7o2g.jpg

I don't have a pic of the AZ cockpit, because I assembled it inside the fuselage (through the gap for the wing), in order to have the rear bulkhead and instrument panel align with the opening in the fuselage. The IP was a little wide and forced apart the fuselage, but the ol' superglue seam filling method fixed it in no time.

IMG_3990_zpsyxbxnyye.jpg

IMG_3992_zpsmpcc8wej.jpg

So now all three fuselages are together and it's time for wings!

• Like 7