Lightning F1 fin tip

David Womby

Looking at pics of early Lightnings today - F1, F1A and F2 - I noticed that early pics of the F1s have a fin tip that is a solid colour

english-electric-lightning-f1-639870.jpg

instead of the later, more familiar, black markings.   

XM191KenElliott.jpg

Anybody know why the change and what colour was the original tip?

David

I'm by no means a Lightning expert, but I believe the fin tip was a dielectric antenna cover, and the change in appearance may be due to a change in electronics fit. I do remember reading that the difference between the F.1 and the F.1a was upgraded electronics in the latter.

• Like 1

Thanks, Mike.

Yes, it also looks like the early ones got a retrofit  because later pics of the F1s show them with the usual black markings.     I assume the early fin tip was grey but I'm guessing.

David

It was probably fiberglass ("glass fibre" for my UK cousins), so the color could vary from that of straw to the color of honey or a golden brown. What we need is a vintage color (colour) photo clearly showing the fin tip of the F.1.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

It was probably fiberglass ("glass fibre" for my UK cousins), so the color could vary from that of straw to the color of honey or a golden brown. What we need is a vintage color (colour) photo clearly showing the fin tip of the F.1.

The colour photos I have would suggest that black was the predominant colour, I've only found one that may be brown? 

John

Thanks, John, but looking at the first photo I posted (albeit a BW one), I can't see it being black on the earliest aircraft.

Are you able to post the one you think is brown?

David

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, David Womby said:

Thanks, John, but looking at the first photo I posted (albeit a BW one), I can't see it being black on the earliest aircraft.

Are you able to post the one you think is brown?

David

Hi David

I did say it may be? I still think it is but it's the only one I've found that may be anything other than black.

XM135%20EE%20Lightning%20F.1Duxford%2019

John

Hi John, I think what David is getting at is that the very early aircraft had a single fin cap finished in a light colour, as opposed to later when two black bands (for want of a better description) replaced it.

This is especially evident on early 74 Sqn jets, before they went with the all black tail.

A good comparison can be seen with T.4 XL629 early style 1037-farnborough-1960.jpg

and later 8888068_orig.jpg?499

• Like 1

I just found this on an old (believe it or not) floppy disk!!!!   I can't remember where it's from so I can't give due credit for the pic.   My colour blindness is a problem so would folks like to give their opinions?

74_sqdn_f1.jpg

David

• Like 1

On a stalled F.1 I was working towards an AFDS aircraft I went with silver after looking at a few colour and B/W photos. Note that these early F.1 also had less aerials beside the nose wheel well and different wheel hubs. The latter being why my model stalled.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Thanks James, I'd go with painted, a light grey on silver aircraft, and whatever the fin colour is on painted fins such as black or white.

XM143%20A%20EE%20Lightning%2074%20SQDN%2

John

Based on this photo I'll need to rethink the fin top colour on my own one. Thanks for posting it John.

• Like 1