B-25J postwar mods

72modeler

Steve N,

Found this photo of a restored B-25J, Am I correct in assuming this example has both parts of the Hays modification? Looks it has the squared-off air intakes as well as the modified exhausts with some of the Clayton stacks combined and exiting through the single outlet? Figured it would be better to post this as a new topic rather than cluttering up the Airfix Mitchell discussion. Also has a good view of the bombardier's escape panel- looks like the two horizontal frames are internal- is that correct?

Mike

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:B-25J_Bomber.jpg

Yep, that's a perfect example of the intake and exhaust mods that were part of the Hayes program.  I understand the intakes were changed because they installed a different type of carburetor.

Another point to note, commonly seen on restored B-25s, is the use of a Martin 250 electric dorsal turret in place of the original Bendix turret.  This is usually because the Martins are much more common (making them cheaper), lighter, and take up less space inside the plane.

SN

1 hour ago, Steve N said:

Yep, that's a perfect example of the intake and exhaust mods that were part of the Hayes program.  I understand the intakes were changed because they installed a different type of carburetor.

Another point to note, commonly seen on restored B-25s, is the use of a Martin 250 electric dorsal turret in place of the original Bendix turret.  This is usually because the Martins are much more common (making them cheaper), lighter, and take up less space inside the plane.

SN

The turret swap I knew about- sorry for the misspelling on Hayes! (My fingers are a lot faster than my brain, sad to say!) I know at some point in production, the carbs were switched to Holleys, which is why the versions after the B had the larger intakes- maybe the Hayes mod included replacing the Holleys with fuel injection carburetors like the ones that went on the B-29's.  Thanks for the reply, Steve!
Mike