Reaching for Stars! ... few added ... I think there is interest?

RidgeRunner

Oh dear... you've really got a downer on them! Have you compared those figures with the Harrier rate of attrition, for example. As they say, "bad press", but not bad aircraft!

"the Starfighter accident rate peaked at 139 per 100,000 flying hours"

"The (Marines) Harrier's attrition rate of 1.5 planes for every 1,000 sorties flown" - for  example. Consider how few were built then read ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Harrier_Jump_Jet_family_losses

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner

a few more ...

DM1_zpsj3dakfet.jpg

Davis-Monthan AFB - May 1979

DM2_zpsq22pdyn0.jpg

Davis-Monthan - May 1979

star18_zpsztimlzqm.jpg

Luke AFB - May 1979

GC1_zps6ahslqwg.jpg

Greenham Common - date unknown

Martin (IFS Member ;) )

• Like 5

Martin, these are all fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing !

The Italian aircrafts are all from either 28 or 132 Gruppo of 3 Stormo, in those days Italian Air Force's recce unit. The 102 Gruppo badge though is from an aircraft part of 5 Stormo at Rimini in the strike role. Seems to be wingless, wonder if it had been retired. Again there are both RF and F-104G, the latter with the Orpheus pod

The Marineflieger aircraft in the foreground is also an RF

Love those USAF two-seaters, a D and a German owned TF (can't identify the one with no radome. Beautiful stuff

Yes, Giorgio, it was a line of retired airframes at Villafranca. The other is from 6 Stormo at Ghedi. The USAF machines were both AFFTC assigned and were D's. The Luftwaffe TF was the only one I saw in the grey scheme.

Martin 

Nice! 

I've got an Eduard boxing (1/48) awaiting the build if I have the time.  Should be a nice upgrade from the ancient Academy (1/72) I just finished building. :D

Martin

Thanks for sharing the excellent photos. And the video,WOW, I never realised what a screech the J79 made, and the black trail. Brilliant!

James

Excellent images and a great video , love the F-104 with it's distinctive sound  . Great memories of watching the Vikings with my father at Fairford and the Canadians at Greenham Common oh to have a time machine great days indeed.

Thanks for posting your great images Martin  :thumbsup: must try and get all the aftermarket together for my Hasegawa 1/32 F-104 so I can make a start.

Guy

Beautiful photos Martin, thank you so much for sharing them! 

One of my favourite F-104 photos ever is your fantastic shot of '26+72', one of the Viking jets, imho the best looking F-104s were operated by the Marineflieger. Hopefully I'll find a way of seeing the Norwegian CF-104D that has flown recently, having never seen one before, it would be an aviation dream come true!

cheers

David

Hi David,

Thanks for your comments.

i'm hoping to get to Stavanger for the show too. 637 used to be a show regular but nevertheless it would be great to see her again. You have to admire the work to get her flying again :).

Martin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnv said:

Whats that thing in 533s tailpipe? Looks to be a drag chute?---John

Do you mean in that ugly fat boy beside the sleek Dane? Not sure what you mean.

Martin

On 3rd picture down , first page theres something stuck in XW533s tailpipe.

It looks like a drag chute assembly but why in the burner can????

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Johnv,

i think ink you need to get up on the Buccaneer, mate. That's the air brake. You can't see the jet pipe  in the image. 

Martin

Sorry, I don't do Buccaneer. My interests are solely U.S. Naval carrier aviation, is that a British

carrier type? I rarely go outside of my comfort zone, WWII is my area of interest and some

FAA WWII subjects.Thanks---John

No problem, John.

Yes, the Bucc' was a carrier/land attack machine, originally intended for nuclear delivery. She went on and on and even served in the 1991 Gulf War. She was a low level queen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Buccaneer

http://www.spyflight.co.uk/buccaneer.htm

Martin

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sorta like the old USAF Thud. Nice subject. I think I will

stick to my quest for an FAA Corsair II, more my interests. Thanks---John

On 8/3/2017 at 5:25 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Giorgio, You mentioned the build group ..... I've never done that (and may not) but what will I choose?

Nice choice of decals there ! Personally I'd probably go for the Taiwanese option, Taiwan used so many Starfighters from all different sources and yet there aren't many models of Taiwan 104s around.

Mind, a grey Turkish aircraft is also quite interesting...

My choice for the upcoming GB will likely be a Norwegian F-104G, but a '60s Dutch aircraft in grey is another interesting choice. Thinking about it, the ADC grey USAF TF in your pictures is also interesting

14 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

My choice for the upcoming GB will likely be a Norwegian F-104G, but a '60s Dutch aircraft in grey is another interesting choice. Thinking about it, the ADC grey USAF TF in your pictures is also interesting

Uou have a TF? I've been looking for a Hasegawa TF in 1/72 but they are rare and then expensive :(.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 10:26 PM, RidgeRunner said:

And, of course, from the photos you don't get the best bit..... The sound! .... 

Crank up the volume, especially from 2 mins 50 secs!

:):):) Martin

Superb Martin - my dog started howling with it!

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/02/2017 at 16:39, RidgeRunner said:

a few more .... Again, not edited apart from cropping.

Martin

All Volkel, the Netherlands - 1983

Was there too. B)

104_02.jpg

V.P.