Mrs PlaStix's Almost Year Book 2016

Mrs PlaStix

Stix thought I should bring together all my different types of build - even though I've only done nearly 5... He got me involved by suggesting I might want to take part in the Starter Kit GB - I said I would, just so long as it wasn't a plane or a tank - and I came across "The Mary Rose" which neatly combined my interest in History/Archaeology with something just a bit different . I really enjoyed making and painting the kit and learned a fair amount of basic techniques thanks to Stix's patient tuition. Then, whilst accompanying Stix to a model shop, I stumbled upon Tamiya's Triceratops kit and have been hooked on dinosaurs and building kits since. Recently, however, I have become interested in the odd shapes of some armour models, although not tanks.

My stuff -

Mary Rose – Airfix 1/400 Starter Set – in Starter Set GB
Work In Progress
25862716254_bec02949ef_c.jpg

26441664556_d8da63a44a_c.jpg

26375275272_880b9c6242_c.jpg

26401436801_29a57f0c83_c.jpg

Triceratops Eurycephalus – Tamiya 1/35
Work In Progress
27322656796_8630ebaaae_c.jpg

26749758543_e57a69c110_c.jpg

27080584510_bdb0f51e63_c.jpg

27322689346_0ed18fa065_c.jpg

Brachiosaurus Diorama Set – Tamiya 1/35
Work In Progress
32072984921_41ae6f99c5_c.jpg

32043962122_734d3d082c_c.jpg

31817260830_de6d515dc6_c.jpg

31817246540_12ddd83465_c.jpg

Chasmosaurus Diorama Set – Tamiya 1/35
Work In Progress
31018408971_128c3025e2_c.jpg

31018395021_f26a2f9ac3_c.jpg

31132511665_1b4d08810c_c.jpg

31132653215_df66859770_c.jpg

And finally a sneak peek at the AFV I was working on at the end of last year andwhich is now almost complete

31380796803_ee720b4d4d_c.jpg

Tamiya's 1/48 Japanese Navy Komatsu G40 - link

Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 24

11 hours ago, stevej60 said:

And some beautiful varied work on show too,might we see an aircraft and some figures for 2017?

Thanks Steve!  I've got several other slightly 'different' AFVs to build plus an idea for a diorama incorporating my bulldozer so I'm going to try and build an aircraft: a Tamiya 1: 48 WWII Japanese 300061027 A6 M5 °C Type 52 Zero Fighter. I'm picturing a hurriedly cleared airfield on an island somewhere in WWII... Well that's the idea! 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, HansReggelsen said:

I must say that I'm very taken by your dino's! They are great! :goodjob:

I'm in the midst of building a Tamiya 1/35 T-Rex at the moment and I can only hope that it'll come out as good as yours!

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Hi Hans, thanks for your kind words! As others will tell you Dino building is addictive... Scimitar is currently building the same kit if you take a look at his thread. I've got the T-Rex diorama kit in my stash and will be getting around to building it later this year. John (Gimmeshelter) has some fantastic dino builds too.   

40 minutes ago, giemme said:

Great little collection it really shows your talent :clap::clap: 

Looking forward to those figures and aircraft :winkgrin:  :whistle::popcorn:

Ciao

Hi giemme, too kind as ever sir! Not sure when I'll be doing 'proper' figures, but the 'plane is definitely in the pipeline...:) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, whitestar12chris said:

Awesome dinosaurs, well done, a cracking first year.

All the best Chris

Cheers Chris, Thanks for taking the time to look and comment! It's good to have a chance to see how I've progressed and also see the fantastic build that others have completed 

Just noticed that you like Babylon 5, one of my all time favourites even got books, comics and characters...

Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mrs PlaStix said:

Thanks Steve!  I've got several other slightly 'different' AFVs to build plus an idea for a diorama incorporating my bulldozer so I'm going to try and build an aircraft: a Tamiya 1: 48 WWII Japanese 300061027 A6 M5 °C Type 52 Zero Fighter. I'm picturing a hurriedly cleared airfield on an island somewhere in WWII... Well that's the idea! 

great work Mrs P,  I particularly liked the triceratops with the backdrop.

regarding the A6M5,  this is the older (early 80's) Tamiya tooling, but does come with 6 crew figures.

Japanese colours can be a bit of a challenge,  this set has input from Nick Millman

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/ak_interactive_wwii_ijn_aircraft_colours-p-39664.html

his blog is here

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/

the scheme varies a bit dependingon who built  the plane, Mitsubishi or Nakajima

perhaps  more than  you wanted to know :rolleyes:

if vehicles and dioramas are floating before your eyes, Hasegawa do a fuel truck

https://hlj.com/product/HSGX48-14

HTH?

cheers

T

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wolwe82 said:

Beautiful work Mrs.Stix :) i love the dinosaurs, the skin is soooo life-a-like!! And the komatsu is also very nice, some cute little dozer :) 

Cheers Wolwe, great to hear from you! Thanks for your comments- it is cute- it was just that bit different, which is why I chose it...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

great work Mrs P,  I particularly liked the triceratops with the backdrop.

regarding the A6M5,  this is the older (early 80's) Tamiya tooling, but does come with 6 crew figures.

Japanese colours can be a bit of a challenge,  this set has input from Nick Millman

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/ak_interactive_wwii_ijn_aircraft_colours-p-39664.html

his blog is here

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/

the scheme varies a bit dependingon who built  the plane, Mitsubishi or Nakajima

perhaps  more than  you wanted to know :rolleyes:

if vehicles and dioramas are floating before your eyes, Hasegawa do a fuel truck

https://hlj.com/product/HSGX48-14

HTH?

cheers

T

Hi Troy, thanks for kind comments and the really helpful advice! I'll try not to feel too daunted by the challenge... Great suggestion about the fuel truck!:hmmm:

• Like 1

Lovely work, beautifully finished. I too like the dinosaurs and the settings are stunning. Now why do I feel like I have been for a walk around Jurassic Park. :D Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing the Japanese Airfield diorama.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Lovely work, beautifully finished. I too like the dinosaurs and the settings are stunning. Now why do I feel like I have been for a walk around Jurassic Park. :D Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing the Japanese Airfield diorama.

Thanks Nimrod! Glad you enjoyed them. Definitely a bit nervous about attempting an aircraft, but I'm sure Stix will talk me through it safely! 

• Like 1

On 13/01/2017 at 08:51, Mrs PlaStix said:

Hi Troy, thanks for kind comments and the really helpful advice! I'll try not to feel too daunted by the challenge... Great suggestion about the fuel truck!:hmmm:

On 13/01/2017 at 11:35, Mrs PlaStix said:

Thanks Nimrod! Glad you enjoyed them. Definitely a bit nervous about attempting an aircraft, but I'm sure Stix will talk me through it safely! 

Hi Mrs P

don't be daunted, Tamiya kits are usually very easy to build, (as you are aware) there are not many reviews out there  of this as it's an older kit, 

here's an old review

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/axis/j/a6m5c.htm

subsequently Tamiya have done an  A6M5 kit, (the A6M5c has a different wing armament) which is a modern tooling, and this is what you tend  to find reviews of.

I  posted the colour information, as there is still a lot of confusion about Japanese colours.

If getting it right is of interest youmay wish  to pick a scheme, and the find out if it's Mitsubishi  or Nakajima built,  as this affect  the interior  and external paint demarcation

How to tell the difference between manufacturers

Nakajima Zeros had the underside color "sweep up" to the tail surfaces, that's the easiest identifier. 

I'm having difficulty finding useful comparison images at the mo

again, note Nick Millman's comments.   

here's a period colour shot

A6M5_scrapped.jpg

very often Japanese lanes  are shown weatherd to an inch of their lives,  note even on these abandoned planes the 5 zeros visible only one is that chipped.

one  final point,  Tamiya aircraft decals tend  to be thick,  at the least the use of hot water is recommended.

here's  a model I actually completed..  

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2011/11/troy-smiths-tamiya-148th-hayate.html

link posted more as it's an old Tamiya kit and brush painted with acrylics.  

There was a chap who did a great Japanese diorama a few years ago....now who was it... I'll add the link if I can find it

EDIT here

I think you'll enjoy that one!

cheers

T

• Like 1

22 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Like the plan for the bulldozer will be looking out for that build

a very nice collection for the year Mrs P

beefy

Thanks beefy, still reading up all of Troy's suggestions, fascinating stuff! Hope to make a start after I've finished my BA - 64B... :)

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Lovely work Mrs.P.....The mottling on your baby Brachiosaur turned out really well.  :thumbsup:

Reckon you should help Stix thin his Braille stash out this year!  :poke:  ;)

Cheers Sarge, I'm still not totally happy with Junior, but time to move on...I know Stix's ordered something in 1/72 for the NATO GB. I recently picked up a Dragon 1/72 Sd.Kfz.260 kleine panzerfunkwagon that I loved the shape of, but will need to use my reading glasses to complete! :)