Supermarine Seafire Mk.45

Col.

Evening gang. Been meaning to post up a few photos of this one for a while and finally got some taken in daylight over the holidays.

1483545400.jpg

1483545396.jpg

1483545394.jpg

Worked this one up for the Edgar Brooks Tribute Spitfire STGB using the Special Haobby kit and Colourcoats paint along with only a set of Eduard seatbelts added as extras.

Other than the seatbelts and a few minor additions such as the throttle cables and flare rack the cockpit was pretty much that found within the kit...

20160504_131519.jpg

20160523_193716.jpg

I've read horrible stories about how ill-fitting this kit is but can't say I found any major issues that test-fitting and minor adjusting didn't avoid or cure. I've also read that it's inaccurate but other than the wingtips requiring a few minutes reshaping it looks like a Seafire 45 to me.

Painted using Colourcoats Enamel range throughout as my first attempt to use this brand of paint and have to say I loved them. Easy to use and forgiving of my clumsy brush and airbrushing techniques.

Always wanted to add a Mk.45 to my small but growing Seafire collection and this one has satisfied my desire :) 

Edited by Col.
  • Like 32

Lovely FR.45, Col.! Certainly not an aircraft you see built up very often. One does hear horror-stories about the SH Seafires, but other than the wingtips, as you mention, they do seem to rather resemble the actual aircraft and your model definitely does looks the part.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

21 hours ago, djos said:

I like this spitfire sea-beast.

At the end look fantastic.

Great model

Regards Djordje

Thank you very much Djordje. I know this is the lest common version of the Seafire but I've always liked them so was pleased to add it into my small collection.

21 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Col,

Nice Seafire, really like it.

Really like FAA birds:P:P.

Congratulations.

Corsaircorp

Hello Corsaircorp and thank you. I'm looking forward to seeing some more progress on your Seafire project as well.

21 hours ago, stevej60 said:

A real beauty Col,love that scheme!

Thank you Steve. Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky certainly can make anything look good; even the Gannet! :blink:

20 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Very nice Col.

LA546 next ?

Richard

Thank you Richard. Not next as there's a Lossie-based Mk.XVII taking that slot with a couple Milltown-based birds after that (a III and XV) but LA546 is certainly on the list ;) 

20 hours ago, Learstang said:

Lovely FR.45, Col.! Certainly not an aircraft you see built up very often. One does hear horror-stories about the SH Seafires, but other than the wingtips, as you mention, they do seem to rather resemble the actual aircraft and your model definitely does looks the part.

Regards,

Jason

Thank you Jason. I've always liked the Mk.45 even if the pilots weren't a big fan of them (then again I didn't have to fly it) so was pleased to have one in my display at last. This is the first SH Seafire I've tried and it certainly hasn't put me off them.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

You've made a fantastic job. Very nice :clap2:

Thank you Mark. Having such a lovely kit to start with and great paints to finish it made the task an easy one.

16 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

There it is! Looking great Col.

Thanks Cookie. There it is at last ;) 

6 hours ago, rob85 said:

She is a thing of brutal beauty Col, very nice work

Rob

Thank you Rob. They really were a stunning and purposeful looking machine.

6 hours ago, SovereignHobbies said:

Ach fit rare Col. :wub:

(Translation for non-locals - "Oh, what a nice job" but it sounds insincere like that)

Och cheers Jamie. Afa guid o yi to say so :D 

Was wondering if you'd spot this one. At come point soon I'll need to visit you and purchase a few more tins of that marvelous Colourcoats paint for a Luftwaffe Phantom and Marineflieger Tornado I'm planning...

48 minutes ago, FIGHTS ON said:

very nice looking seafire, and from Lee-on -Solent as well, can't really find fault with your build, thanks for sharing

Thank you for saying so and glad to share a local machine for you :) 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Nice job Col, you have been a busy boy.

DB

Cheers Duncan, not busy enough though, still got a Lightning to finish from that GB...

• Like 1