Italeri M4A3E8 Sherman & RMF Tiger 1 "Fury" inspired build

On 22/01/2017 at 10:58 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

W&N do a great aerosol varnish too, I discovered it quite recently:

https://www.pullingers.com/p/WN3033913/pastel-fixatives/winsor-newton/winsor-newton-professional-fixative-150ml-aerosol?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=COiI2aHRrdECFY0aGwod8G0LOQ

This stuff acts really wierd, it seems to go on really thick and goopy, looks like it's frosting while it cures which takes absolutely ages compared to any other acrylic aerosol I've tried.....But then:

Flat%20Upper_zpskuws3mtz.jpg

The one issue I've noticed is that it is really unforgiving of decal-silvering, so make sure everything is nicely bedded down before using it.  :coolio:

PS - I definitely would not use this stuff over dry-pigments of any kind, even Tamiya's tank make-up.....Pretty sure it would do horrible things.  :shutup:

Thanks for the tip ... as it was it was user error!!! I was stupid and forgot that Airfix Varnish is enamel based and I am using acrylics ..... Some tamiya Flat Clear soon sorted the problem out haha.

Update - 24-01-17

Hey Everyone,

Sorry I have been quiet the last week or so, I've had a lot of work on my hands so not had much time for modeling. :angry:

Anyway, the Sherman is on hold for a little while as I have started working on the Tiger now.  The Sherman currently stands like this:

IMG_9788.jpg

IMG_9500.jpg

IMG_8260.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg

I have applied some "rain" effects to it, although I am not happy with the outcome ... lucky that I can remove them and start over ( it is my first time with a lot of these pigments, washes and effects ).

It will remain this way until it's ready for the diorama when it will receive its final details and pigments/washes.

So on with the Tiger :D ... I've really been looking forward to getting stuck in with this one. Once again I am not aiming for historical accuracy and will be building it pretty much from the box minus a few details I plan to scratch in.  I did not have a working camera as I started the build process but it was basically constructing the turret, breach, and the core-shell, engine and gearbox.  This then got a helping of Mig One-Shot Gray Primer.  This is how it stood until tonight: 

IMG_5481.jpg

Next I used some Tamiya XF-63 German Grey to paint the lower hull of the tank, I did not tweak this colour (So it know it's not the correct shade of gray) but it's the only Grey I had to hand and my local shop would have been shut :

IMG_7256_2.jpg

Too dark but it will do as not a whole lot of it is on show on the final build.  Next step was tackling the crew areas, now I always see lots of debates on the correct colour to use here, some say ivory, others say duck white etc etc.  For this I mixed some Tamiya XF-2 Flat White and some XF-57 Buff and came up with this :

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

Note the little toothbrush effort over to the left of this photo .... these are fantastic for cleaning your airbrush after use :thumbsup: and you can get them in packs of 5 from Tesco's 

Next, I gave the engine, gearbox and fans a coating of XF-01 Flat Black just to tie them in.  I will be doing a bit of detailing here and some weathering also :

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_7256.jpg

That's it for today, I'm letting the paint harden overnight and planning my next move, I will more than likely be starting to paint in the details of all the kit in the turret and adding a few wires and bits into the build.

Chris

• Like 2

Tiger's coming along nicely.  :coolio:

Don't worry about the weathering on your Sherman, you may find that in the process of taking back what you've already applied, that a rather nice finish will start to emerge.....Weathering's odd like that.  ;)

Sarge, if it's W&N spray fixative it's designed for "fixing" powdery art materials - pencil, charcoals, pastels or chalks and so forth, so it should be exactly the correct stuff to "fix" pigment powders too.  Generally several light coats was better than slathering it over; especially the first so you don't blow the chalks etc around.

Mind you at college we used to find fixative too expensive so used the cheapest, gloopiest hair spray.  It worked okay and our drawings smelt lovely!

As noted above, always worth testing before using on a model.

Cheers

Will 

Good Morning Everyone,

Sorry the updates have slowed on these builds but due to work lately and busy weekends I have not had much time to spare for modeling :angry:

Anyway, I do have an update today.  So last night when I got in from work I decided to set the evening aside for myself and crack on with the Tiger, I knew that this was mainly going to be painting and test fitting.  So to begin with I got all the interior parts that still needed to be fitted to the hull, cleaned up and assembled them ( not fitted to the hull at this stage ) and cracked on getting them painted up :

IMG_0105_2.jpg

As you can see here, this is in the basic colors without any details, wear and tear or washes.  Oh that's the other thing, I got hold of the Ammo German Tank Interior paint set as shown below:

a.mig7108.jpg

Since I'm still learning to mix colours and such I wanted to give it a try, The pack seems really good, the paints flow nice and have a wonderful colour to them.  I'm happy with the way things are turning out.

Next was adding in a bit more of the detail to the parts:

IMG_0106_2.jpg

Started with masking the strap lines in the fuel cells and getting them painted in along with getting some more of the details onto the gearbox and radio equipment.

IMG_0107_2.jpg

Masking tape drew a little paint under the edges ( my fault for not making sure it was stuck down correctly ) but I corrected this by hand after the Black had dried fully.

I carried on like this for a while, adding details in and also the turret and the breach, I'm still not finished working on them so these are NOT the final images, but I'm getting closer :D I also did a quick bit of test fitting when I realised that the engine compartment walls and a few other bits are the wrong colour :rage:

IMG_6518.jpg

IMG_4828.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_5797.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

Also before anyone asks ... yes, that is a TV dinner tray I'm working off.:lol:  My office and hobby desk have been buried by all the furniture from another room in the house that we are currently redecorating ... I shall claim my space back shortly but this gets me by for the time :D

As you can see, I need to give a few parts a second coat and correct some painting mistakes to a few areas, truth be told I am still getting used to working at this scale and I am been constantly blown away by the standard of painting laid down by other members it's almost intimidating.

That's all for now folks. Thanks for stopping by :D

Chris

• Like 4