Tank wheels / Airbrushing.

Potaton

I was just wondering as to how the experts out there build their armoured vehicles, tanks in particular, before airbrushing / weathering.

Do you build the entire thing before airbrushing, or do you do the wheels individually?

Cheers

I build and paint upper hull, lower hull, wheels, tracks, turret and parts that don't have the camouflage colour - such as tools and spare tracks - separately before final assembly to make painting and weathering easier. It's easier to paint the wheels and their tyres before adding them to the hull.

Hope this helps.

It all depends on the finish and how clean you like your models mate. And how steady a hand you have when it comes to painting/gluing. 

Couple of examples -

When I built armour, and if doing a muddy tank, I used to assemble most of the running gear and tracks save the last outer wheels which were painted seperately to allow the tires/edges to be done easier, plus had a lighter coat of mud on them. Rest of inner wheels and tracks fitted to hull got mud coloured paint and then heavier weathering... 

If doing a 'cleaner' build with only a light dust coat and workable individual track links, all would be painted seperately then assembly at end, feeding the tracks on. Then a light airbrushing of dust or whatever... 

When it comes to tools I preferred to attach them first, especially if using etch clamps. All gets painted together them tools picked out in individual colours if required. Did the same for plastic clamps too. That way they get same coats of paint as hull and you dont have to paint parts of tool that ain't gonna be seen. Plus then trying to scape away paint on a hull to carefully glue a shovel into place normally goes wrong, take too much paint away, or smear glue everywhere... 

Hope this helps. 

Tony.