YAK-18

Hi, here's the first finished product of the year.  I won't lie to you, it was a B*%£!"% build:

It is a YAK-18 from Amodel in 1/72 scale

Humbrol enamel paints brushed on

decals from the box pretty basic but went on ok apart from one star disaster - my fault

Ariel lines are stretched sprue - the softer of the two types

a bit of scratch building for the tail wing supports

The negatives - loads of flash on the sprues, 2 different types of plastic which made the sanding after the copious filling tough as they didn't wear down evenly, ill fitting generally but the canopy in particular - still doesn't fit but I have called time on the build or it would be parked in the hanger marked "B" for bin

The positives - simple easy to follow assembly instructions, a chance to play with weighting down the nose and it was CHEAP!

It is a departure from my normal, so far, WWII fighters which is why I chose to do it and also exploring other kit manufacturers than the obvious Airfix.  Not sure Amodel will get too much of my money in the future.

Thanks for looking, any comments gratefully accepted as I want to improve.

Simon

20170110_220817_zpsxfzvzyhu.jpg20170110_215312_zpsxdwx7kxn.jpg20170110_215158_zpsc4p0kowd.jpg20170110_215053_zpsvx9vpq2m.jpg20170110_215036_zpsjnuqjho3.jpg20170110_220900_zpst9lspjvu.jpg

• Like 7

It is A -model.......i know what that mean, something interesting, something different and always very har5d to work with and made something of it :)

At the end looks like YAK and not a bad at all.

Now my humble advice's:

- take care about joins

- cover surfaces with more diluted color in more thin layers, final result will be more unified

- working with those manufacturer means you need to polish somehow cockpit glass, or just to try to put it in some chemistry like future, will look much better at the end

- wires for the radio must be thinner according to scale, so need to stretch bit more the sprue, and paint it in some darker color

- take care about wheels aligment

Do not take hard my suggestions, your model looks fine, especially when A model is the subject of work. But i think those are easy bits to achive and for sure will make model even better.

We are doing this to enjoy so....enjoy in every finished model :)

Best regards

Djordje

PS. Sorry if i do not express everything correctly, my English is not so good

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, djos said:

Do not take hard my suggestions, your model looks fine, especially when A model is the subject of work. But i think those are easy bits to achive and for sure will make model even better.

Thanks for the constructive comments.  I will certainly take them on-board for my next build

5 minutes ago, glatisant said:

A Model are hard work at the best of times

I didn't think I was alone in this experience :lol:

On the bright side, welcome to the "Conquerors of Amodel kits" club! Membership is free, to allow you to pay for the medications you'll need to deal with all the side-effects of building them :)

You've now experienced the worst that a Amodel kit can throw at you. Everything else in the world is easy by comparison.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jessica said:

On the bright side, welcome to the "Conquerors of Amodel kits" club! Membership is free, to allow you to pay for the medications you'll need to deal with all the side-effects of building them :)

You've now experienced the worst that a Amodel kit can throw at you. Everything else in the world is easy by comparison.

It was a close run thing at times!