Possibly a silly question

BulldogModels

Hey Everyone,

I'm new around here and have been reading a lot of your WIP threads and a certain word keeps popping up .... flash ... I know this is probably a very daft question to ask, but can someone explain what flash is? 

I hope I have put this in the right area of the forums, I could not see any other relevant groups.

Chris

No question is daft; you just don't know the answer

Flash is surplus plastic around the model kit part. Its usually in the form of a very thin sheet around the part and might extended to joining parts by filling in the spaces between them.

Its main cause is very worn moulds allowing plastic to flow between them during the moulding process.

At its least it just needs a bit of trimming, at its worst you might need to actually cut the model part free of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Black Knight said:

No question is daft; you just don't know the answer

Flash is surplus plastic around the model kit part. Its usually in the form of a very thin sheet around the part and might extended to joining parts by filling in the spaces between them.

Its main cause is very worn moulds allowing plastic to flow between them during the moulding process.

At its least it just needs a bit of trimming, at its worst you might need to actually cut the model part free of it.

Good answer and you just got it in B4 me  . .. 

• Like 1

It's usually found on older or short run kits. As Black Knight says, it occurs in worn moulds and because the moulding process works under high pressure, the polystyrene leaks out and forms a thin film which is usually easy to cut and sand away. It sometimes occurs with newer kits, but they are probably of lower quality.

John.

People make out flash is a problem.  It's not.  Flash is extra plastic at no extra cost - nothing to complain about!

Little bit of history: flash is a much older term than injection moulding, it dates back to the early days of metal casting.  And it spread.  When the bank of a canal collapses and the canal expands into a field, and they don't repair it because it's fine as it is, the extra bit of water is known as a flash.

• Like 3