Canada, Eh? GB 2018/19?

Sabre_days

In the same vein as French Fancy, From Russia with Love and Made in Britain...who else would be interested in a Canadian group build?

-Anything in Canadian military service (including Canadian-manned units within the British services or elsewhere), operated by a Canadian company or privately registered in Canada (so an airliner in WestJet markings would count even if it's a temporarily-leased airframe with a US or Irish ident, for example, but a Cessna 172 would have to have a Canadian ident).

-Anything made in Canada (including licensed production of British, American, etc. types, e.g. Mosquito, PBY, etc.), regardless of operator (e.g. a United Express CRJ).

-Anything designed in Canada but built elsewhere (e.g. an RAF Chipmunk T10).

-Aircraft, ships or vehicles of other countries' armed services known to have been operated by a Canadian, or predominantly Canadian, crew (e.g. Billy Bishop's Nieuport 17, HMS Nabob or HMS Puncher)

For this one, I think it might be worth considering allowing what-ifs to at least a limited extent, given the number of Avro Arrow builds it's likely to attract. I'd suggest a rule to limit it to proposals that were seriously considered by either the manufacturer or intended end user, preferably both (e.g. a CF-105 in squadron service, an RCAF A-4 or a Canadian Forces F-15, but not something inspired by, or similar to, one of Vintage Wings of Canada's April Fools articles...)

List:

1. Sabre_days

2. vppelt68

3. Caerbannog

4. Cookenbacher

5. Brian

6. Grandboof

7. busnproplinerfan

8. JackG

9. Dragon
10. theplasticsurgeon
11. Paul J
12. CliffB
13. TrojanThunder

14. SleeperService
15. Max Headroom
16. Sgt.Squarehead
17. moaning dolphin

18. modelling minion

19. TonyTiger66

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 2

I'd like to, but to much on my table. As a what if,  Canada was very close to buying F-14s, possibly F-4s at some point. I know the requirement was two engines, in case one calved over Butt F... nowhere Saskatchewan:P down the road from the third tree by the older beaver dam. (If your dogs runs away, you will never loose him because it's so flat) I also wondered why we never bought S-3 Vikings since the Auroras were loaded with S-3 equipment. Just a couple of thoughts. Does this have to be a new build? Do you want more unique stuff?

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, glad to see the interest!

5 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I'd like to, but to much on my table. As a what if,  Canada was very close to buying F-14s, possibly F-4s at some point. I know the requirement was two engines, in case one calved over Butt F... nowhere Saskatchewan:P down the road from the third tree by the older beaver dam. (If your dogs runs away, you will never loose him because it's so flat) I also wondered why we never bought S-3 Vikings since the Auroras were loaded with S-3 equipment. Just a couple of thoughts. Does this have to be a new build? Do you want more unique stuff?

I know the feeling...please let me know if you do decide to give it a go and I'll add you to the list.

Regarding new builds, I'd say the 25% rule seems to be the standard for GBs here, and I'm happy to be flexible about it. As long as most of the work remains to be done, I'm not about to split hairs on such things.

As for more unique stuff, I'd be happy to see a Canadian GB happen either way, but it would be great to see some off the beaten track subjects (e.g. an L-19 in Air Cadet towplane markings, a Northrop Delta from the upcoming Azur-Frrom kit or one of the Mi-17s that were leased by the CF for use in Afghanistan).

As far as what-ifs are concerned, I'd like to take an informal poll among participants in this thread around the time we're approaching the 30 mark (fingers crossed) on whether to allow them or not (although if we get multiple entries contingent upon what-ifs being allowed and no objection from anyone else, I might take that as tacit acceptance and not wish to exclude anyone who'd otherwise be interested). If what-ifs do get the green light, though, I would like to be fairly strict about the "one step removed from reality" rule alluded to in the first post, though...so unbuilt design studies from Canadian companies: fine, but no fictional kitbashes, and aircraft seriously evaluated by or proposed to the Canadian military or a Canadian airline in Canadian markings: fine, but no "flights of fancy" like a CF-23, a CB-52 or a Canadian Pacific Hughes HK-1. General aviation types and civilian vehicles...honestly, I'd say just stick a Canadian ident or license plate on it and I won't ask too many questions. ;)

Edited by Sabre_days

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Please count me in. I've been meaning to do a CF-18 for years now, and I'd also like to expand my 126 Wing Spitfire collection.

Done. Like the choices of subject...I really should get around to doing a CF-18 too, this GB might be just the motivation I need, probably a two-seater that was with 410 Squadron when the documentary Jetstream was being filmed (FPC 2006, if memory serves...it aired on Discovery Channel in very early 2008). And I'm a firm believer that on this site, any group build theme that could possibly be so interpreted should always be used as an excuse to build another Spitfire...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sabre_days said:

Welcome aboard, glad to see the interest!

I know the feeling...please let me know if you do decide to give it a go and I'll add you to the list.

Regarding new builds, I'd say the 25% rule seems to be the standard for GBs here, and I'm happy to be flexible about it. As long as most of the work remains to be done, I'm not about to split hairs on such things.

As for more unique stuff, I'd be happy to see a Canadian GB happen either way, but it would be great to see some off the beaten track subjects (e.g. an L-19 in Air Cadet towplane markings, a Northrop Delta from the upcoming Azur-Frrom kit or one of the Mi-17s that were leased by the CF for use in Afghanistan).

As far as what-ifs are concerned, I'd like to take an informal poll among participants in this thread around the time we're approaching the 30 mark (fingers crossed) on whether to allow them or not (although if we get multiple entries contingent upon what-ifs being allowed and no objection from anyone else, I might take that as tacit acceptance and not wish to exclude anyone who'd otherwise be interested). If what-ifs do get the green light, though, I would like to be fairly strict about the "one step removed from reality" rule alluded to in the first post, though...so unbuilt design studies from Canadian companies: fine, but no fictional kitbashes, and aircraft seriously evaluated by or proposed to the Canadian military or a Canadian airline in Canadian markings: fine, but no "flights of fancy" like a CF-23, a CB-52 or a Canadian Pacific Hughes HK-1. General aviation types and civilian vehicles...honestly, I'd say just stick a Canadian ident or license plate on it and I won't ask too many questions. ;)

I do have a few CF-100s that need to be made, I'll see if I can on one of them, don't hold your breath waiting in case I can't

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:46 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

You say 2018/19, is that when you'd want stuff done by? or when would be the formal start if any?

The GB would be in 2018, or 2019 if it gets deferred until then for whatever reason. As I understand it, start and finish dates are allocated by the group build moderators once a GB is approved after being among those selected in the poll, and standard (i.e. not single-type) GBs are 18 weeks long.

3 minutes ago, Sabre_days said:

The GB would be in 2018, or 2019 if it gets deferred until then for whatever reason. As I understand it, start and finish dates are allocated by the group build moderators once a GB is approved after being among those selected in the poll, and standard (i.e. not single-type) GBs are 18 weeks long.

ok, should work.

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:30 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

ok, should work.

Great. Want me to add you to the list? At this point it's not a firm commitment, just an expression of interest...no worries at all if it ends up not working out. And realistically, even at the "definite" stage, I'm sure all of us have ended up not completing a GB we committed to...I freely admit my own record is awful.

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:45 PM, JackG said:

Count me in for this.

regards,

Jack

Great, welcome aboard!

19 minutes ago, Sabre_days said:

Great. Want me to add you to the list? At this point it's not a firm commitment, just an expression of interest...no worries at all if it ends up not working out. And realistically, even at the "definite" stage, I'm sure all of us have ended up not completing a GB we committed to...I freely admit my own record is awful.

Great, welcome aboard!

yep.

• Like 1