Royal Navy Beech Expeditor

NAVY870

Ahoy Shipmates

Having finally got a copy of Revell's Beech twin the hunt is now on for a suitable scheme.

As my beloved 724 Squadron (back when it was still owned by you lot) flew them way back in the BPF days out of Mascot and Bankstown

it will be wearing ROYAL NAVY on the sides.

I've tracked down serial numbers for the 724 birds (HD.763 HD.764 HD.766 HD.768 HD.776 KP,100 - KP.109 KP.111-KP.117)

an a couple of pics but nothing specifically marked as 724. What I have seen shows the aircraft with BPF roundels and radio call signs

painted on the upper rear fuselage.

Any pointers hints tips or abuse greatfully accepted.

Cheers

As far as I can see (limited to the Air Britain FAA aircraft and FAA Squadrons) all the Australian-based Expeditors were in 724 Sq hands, and the unit carried civil-type registrations whilst operating them.  For example KP111 was VJ-AAN.  However you seem to have a better list of serial allocations than they do.

The new (3rd) edition of The Squadrons and Units of the Fleet Air Arm has (p.29) a photo of some 724 Sq Expediter C.IIs at Mascot Airfield, NSW, in 1945.   They appear to be in natural metal, have British Pacific Fleet style roundels and bars and carry Australian civil registrations in black high on the rear fuselage.  Book says the registration range ran from VJ-AAA: I think I can just make out VJ-AAK on one of them.

FAA Aircraft 1939-45 has KP114 at Mascot in December 1945 so maybe the Australian registrations were added at the expense of the RN serials.

Edited by Seahawk

VJAAA etc are the military radio callsigns allocated each aircraft as Steve has said above and did not replace the aircraft serial number. See:

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/AutoSearch.asp?O=I&Number=5819753

which discusses the allocation of the radio call sign block VJAAA to VJAAZ for use by Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Aircraft in Australia. Unfortunately it does not link any callsign to aircraft serial numbers.

Edited by Biggles81