On 17 January 2017 at 19:59, Antb said:

Nice start Tony. You're a brave man going for the PE especially those levers! They're minute but you've done a good job with them, I'd have them covered in super glue and stuck where they shouldn't be! 

Were they a pain or relatively straight forward to get right? 

They would have been had I not shimmed and raised up the plate they sit in to give them more purchase. 

Worst bit was cutting the levers from the fret carefully as they had attachment points both ends. Got pretty bent up so benefited from being straightened out in some large flat tweezers. Didn't bother trying to sand off the remaining attachment stubs though. Too small to work on safely with damaging them or pinging off into oblivion. And anyway one end is hidden down in the slot and the other built up into a ball with blobs of paint 👍🏿

• Like 1

Not much done this weekend sadly. 

Some metals sprayed, zorsts and then prop assembies ready for chipping later on. (Did some research first to check they didn't have wooden ones ha ha)

Props will have spinner tip colour sprayed first, that will be masked off then chipping fluid and RLM 70. 

image.jpg

Also gave the wheel wells a base coat as they need to go into wing halves. This is AK's version of RLM 02. Black and white bottles are to help 'zero' your eyes/screen to give reference. 

image.jpg

Bye bye for now. 

• Like 5

The He 111 is such a lovely looking aircraft.  You are doing an amazing job on this - love your method for dealing with the PE levers!!

Such great modelling skills, along with your multiple Tomcat builds I don't know where you find the time....!!!

Phil

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

The He 111 is such a lovely looking aircraft.  You are doing an amazing job on this - love your method for dealing with the PE levers!!

Such great modelling skills, along with your multiple Tomcat builds I don't know where you find the time....!!!

Phil

Thanks Phill. 

Neither do I! Concurrent activity disease I reckon... 

Excellent job on the Heinkel. I have one of these nearly finished, but the idea of trying to mask off the clear parts scares me 'arf to death. Maybe seeing how easy you'll make it look will encourage me to crack on with mine.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Monster priming session...

Glazing done with a mix of eduard and montex masks. Interior and bays with Brassin foam. 

Glazing done first in a dark grey rlm66 style stynylrez (grey + black) for the inside part of the framing.  Then went over with normal grey so has the same base as the rest of the plane. 

Then plane was done in sections as couldn't fit a handle to it. So majority was done while holding one wing avoiding cockpit. Then I held nose piece on to mask off cockpit area and do that part and around engines with out having to worry about overspray. Then finally held the now dry wing to do the other one last. 

If all looks good when fully dry  then nose glazing will be tacked on with white glue while camo is being done, then permanently fixed on final assembly. 

Ta da! 

Lots of bits...

image.jpg

Glazing being done first. 

image.jpg

Nose held in place carefully to allowing painting up to cockpit. Note - buy gloves. 

image.jpg

Done!

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pics
  • Like 8

35 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Nice piece of fingerpainting there!

Any particular reason why the tailplanes are not glued on yet?

Just to make it easier to mask (or lack there of) when it comes to doing the greens... 

Also then when using the masks to spray to the tail crosses easier with them not being in the way. 

Will fix them in place after camo and sprayed markings, but before the gloss for the decal stencils and weathering... 

• Like 1

Preshading done all over with meng/ak basic black. Thinned half and half with ump. Sprayed with an Iwata neo 0.35mm needle @ 20 psi. 

Then ak air rlm 65 on lowers. 

Doesnt like being thinned too much. End up with blobs and globs in it. Only about 20% ump thinners to spray. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next will be the yellow under the wingtips, then the lowers can be all masked off for the greens that wraps around the leading edge. 

Stay tuned! 

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pics
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Just to make it easier to mask (or lack there of) when it comes to doing the greens... 

Also then when using the masks to spray to the tail crosses easier with them not being in the way. 

Will fix them in place after camo and sprayed markings, but before the gloss for the decal stencils and weathering... 

I knew there was a good reason!

Quite a grey looking RLM65 you have there, but from my understanding it varied a lot!

4 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Quite a grey looking RLM65 you have there, but from my understanding it varied a lot!

Yeah it doesn't seem as bright as say Xtracrylics rlm 65 which is the brightest and most blue one I have used so far. Plenty out there still to try mind. 

To be honest the above pic isnt in the best light.

While painting I tried to kill off all the preshading and grey primer in the centre of the panels to get the full colour saturation of this ak paint, cause so many times you can end up changing the look of the paint from what it is.

Either due to weathering or pre/post shading. Or even without knowing it cause you subconsciously make it look like the shade you think it should be or seen other builds in.

Then you end up with loads of the exactly the same colour builds on your shelf, when there could be 4/5 versions of the same colour there on display due to the different model paint companies interpretations.

Which could be visually more interesting and something to bore your dinner guests with when they notice your display cabinet. 

Ok I'll stop rambling now :talktothehand:

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

great progress, the pre-shade looks the business.  you're going to have to stop building all the aeroplanes I want to build. Just don't do a Gloster Javalin. ;)

John.

Thanks John. 

No jav for me so I don't worry :yes:

• Like 1

Update:

Yellow was added under wingtips yesterday (not much to see really) and then was left to dry. This evening all the lowers were masked off including where it wraps around the leading edges, ready for the 1st green - RLM 71. 

The fuselage sides were done in a gentle wave using tamiya tape for curves (white) the rest is just normal tamiya tape. 

It was roughly sprayed where it needs to be to save paint thickness, time and the preshading. Tomorrow this will be masked off for the hard edge splinter with the 70 black green. 

Looks like something british in its current green and grey primer areas! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Ok here is tonights work - completion of the camo.

This an update of the past two and a half hours or so of work. 

Sat down at the bench @ 9pm. 

Started masking. Was a bit slow going as was concurrently watching brooklyn 9-9... 

By 2145hrs it looked like this: 

image.jpg

Longest part is working out where it all goes, using panel lines as references. Then filling in the areas is easy.

So by 2221hrs it looked like this after almost an hour and a half. Good job the undersides were still masked from the 1st green... 

image.jpg

Next it was off into the garage at 2230hrs to this!   3 degrees C :penguin:

image.jpg

mind you acrylics spray great in the winter, nice and cold so hardly and tip dry or retarder needed. 

Anyways after 20 ish mins by 2250 it looked like this... Alright alright alright... 

image.jpg

It came out quite glossy, think thats because its so cold it went down very 'wet' so smoothed out alot.  

Anyways, back inside, 15-20 mins to let it dry and have a brew to warm myself up and did this! 

image.jpg

And this is the final result - ta da!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Really pleased, came out better than I expected. Couple areas to rub back and touch up. Plus had a couple tiny spots of the first green lift off (not to the plastic) with the tape. Must have touched the primer with my paws... 

A note on the colours, the contrast is very strong, looks more like a 71/02 scheme, but I reckon it's because the 71 came out very matt which makes it lighter, and the 70 is glossy which darkens it to the eye. After all the varnishes and weathering it will even out. (I hope!) 

Thanks for looking and good night!

Now 2350 and up at 0600... 

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pics
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, modelglue said:

Again, you'll notice a feth-load of likes rolling in. 

Thanks Jeff, but please only if the work warrants it! :wait:

Also, dinner companions - what are they?

:):):D:):) 

Edited by Tony Oliver

Very nice! 

Is this the same HE-111 that Revell reboxed? If so, I'm just about to start it. I have the same PE set for it, the points on the levers are duly noted. Also what kind of varnish did you use after the splinter camo went on? It's a very nice finish.