Italeri/ESCI Harrier GR3 1/72

1/72 Italeri/ESCI Harrier GR3 XZ989

I’ve wanted to do a Falklands Harrier for ages but could never decide on what one. XZ989 caught my eye after reading the account of the crash in which Wg Cdr Pete Squire decided to ‘get out and walk’ after an engine failure at Port San Carlos Forward Operating Base. Quote “As a result of the rate of descent and the fact that I am pointing directly at a Rapier FU, I elect not to eject and the aircraft hits the ground very hard”.

WP_20170110_16_48_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20170110_16_52_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20170110_16_52_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20170110_17_13_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20170110_16_48_58_Pro.jpg

The kit’s been knocking around for years, but I still feel it’s one of the better 1/72 Harriers. It does have a few silly faults such as the vents on the outer wings being slightly out, the bulges underneath where the outer pylons attach, dodgy looking pitot etc. However it was a fairly fuss free build, with only the fit of the front canopy giving me a bit of a palaver.

As seems to be my current habit, I’ve detailed up the cockpit a bit, and then stuck the bleeding pilot in hiding all my work! Reworked the oversized lower air brake ‘hole’. Opened up the blow in doors on the intake, stuck some fine mesh in the upper wing and made a new pitot and various aerials, stretched the undercarriage a bit to suggest it’s not under load. Homebrew wash of watercolour/artists gouache.

e442b1a4-0f49-4b04-97d5-578aa5ff987e.jpg

WP_20161112_12_26_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20161225_17_47_19_Pro.jpg Worms!

WP_20170105_15_35_04_Pro.jpg Dirty boy!

I’ve forgotten to fit the wind vane in front of the canopy, and the rocket pods I’ve fitted are the wrong ones (and I’m dubious about the attached pylons). They should be RN 2” types not RAF ones. I fitted them with PVA more as place holders until I get the correct ones (as well as being a good excuse for getting the new Airfix Phantom;)). I’ve also cocked up on the camouflage demarcation lines. Plenty of photos are knocking about of this airframe, and I followed a mix of the kits and Xtradecals instructions rather than the actual aircraft. Doh! A few other mistakes, but in all honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever made a 100% perfect kit. Not entirely happy with the base either (3mm MDF and static grass), which looks a bit too ‘manicured lawn’ rather than Port San Carlos Airstrip.

Decals are from Xtradecals Falklands Harrier sheet, which allows you to build any aircraft from the conflict. It too has a couple of minor faults despite being produced with the aid of the Harrier SIG, i.e. the ‘0’ on the ‘07’ stencil on the tail should be split top/bottom rather than left/right, and the ‘Danger Ejection Seat’ markings are worded wrong. Easily fixed if you’re that worried about it, but still an outstanding decal sheet.

Sod%20off.jpg

C&C more than welcome.

Mart

• Like 24

Hi Mart,

the GR.3 has never been one of my favorite aircraft, on account of its nasal appendix.

But personal taste aside, you have turned Pinocchio into a great model.

Congrats!

JR

A great build Mart.

It must be one of the best GR.3 I`ve seen in 72nd.

What did you use for the wash? dirt/clean process?

It looks very even and lines well defined.. love it.

Adrian

Cheers Lads!:)

2 hours ago, adrianm2 said:

What did you use for the wash? dirt/clean process?

The wash is a mix of Winsor & Newton designers gouache sepia, burnt umber, neutral grey and W&N artists watercolour lamp black and neutral tint. No real reason for the colours, other than to create a dark brown grey sludge. Slapped on over a Klear coat then wiped off with kitchen towel and cotton buds/Q-tips. The fine panel lines on the kit help a lot.

Difference between new Airfix and old ESCI wing:

WP_20161105_11_20_31_Pro.jpg

Mart

Edited by LotusArenco
  • Like 1