impromptu: All suggestions are wellcome

another little update. I'm currently reworking the henrons.  The V1 henron was just green stuff henron, a first attempt made just to see how it would look. now i'm working on a v2 henron. This time i've realized a metal skeleton, this produces a better shape of wings, legs and neck and also it allow to pose more accurately the bird. 

also this time i'm picking an accurate 1/48 scale taking into account the true size of the animal. 

This is a work in progress, i think it is coming good.

i also had a weird idea to add some static grass on the body to simulate feathers, 

v5uzmmI.jpg

htkcCj2.jpg

X5A5490-Edit20130111RNWR.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

When I read about the V1 Henron I thought you were talking about some version of a flying bomb. Turns out you were on about a flying bird. :D

I don't think static grass would be the best idea for the feathers. Far too fiddly, and the HERON might end up looking furry rather than feathery. I think your best bet would be some very fine painting for the body feathers.... and possibly using real feathers for the wing feathers.

So in the main pic below you could use the 'downy barbs' as whole feathers for the Heron's neck/chest. And barbs from the 'vane' or 'after feathers' to use as wing feathers.

636218feather.jpg

I hope that helps.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

that is a nice suggestion but aren't real feathers going to moulder over time? 

also i wasn't actually planning to cover it with feathers, in the end it would look too thick and bulky. i was just planning to depict those furry feather on the chest/neck, the rest i would probably just paint over the green stuff

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cambridge said:

that is a nice suggestion but aren't real feathers going to moulder over time? 

also i wasn't actually planning to cover it with feathers, in the end it would look too thick and bulky. i was just planning to depict those furry feather on the chest/neck, the rest i would probably just paint over the green stuff

Firstly I meant using the feather parts to make the primary and secondary feathers on the wings.(those are the long main flying feathers)

And no, feathers won't 'rot' over time. They are made of the same stuff as our nails and hair (Chitin) and that will last for hundreds if not thousands of years in normal conditions.

Rearguards,

Badder

• 2 weeks later...

ok, here the comparison between the old henron and the new one. I have to say that the combination of metal skeleton and green stuff works wonder and i'll use it for other things too in the future. Green stuff is very elastic, therefore you can bend the metal skeleton under it in the desired position and green stuff would bend aswell without problem, making this an actually fully posable figure. I can straight its neck, or bend it and twist it. I can change the wings positions and it wouldn't be a problem. The painting is not yet 100% definitive but should give a good idea.

jk9SeY1.jpg

WhscxOD.jpg

H5fKPHS.jpg

and some pictures of the new henron in its place, hope you like the upgrade. I've not yet added "hairy feathers", i'm not even sure i'm going to do it at this point. 

sXEji7g.jpg

LKIso9h.jpg

gT6ttEF.jpg

UmFoi80.jpg

• Like 2

That's a smart looking heron you've made there Cambridge. I didn't know that 'Green Stuff' was pliable. I thought it dried hard. I will have to take a look at it.

Now to your grass. I hope you don't mind me saying that I actually preferred it when there was more mud. It looked more dynamic... like you could see how the plane had skidded into the bank and had pushed the mud up in front of it. But okay, that's up to you. I would say though that you need to vary the grass colour. If it were my grass I'd add some very dark washes at ground level... dark brown, dark green and black, and then dry brush the tips of the grass with light greens and yellow-greens.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cambridge ... brilliant work on the Diorama. The paddy gets a :yes: the Herons get a :penguin:the Zero is very good. As someone who has studied ww2 aviation, and has seen hundreds of photo's of crashed planes. The work is very good. If i may add one thing and im hoping this helps. If you cant change it thats ok as well. But unless the radial engine was seized and possibly on fire. the propellor would have been windmilling .. still turning on impact. So the blades would also be bent not only backwards but sideways as well. Also if you have leaks in the water where are they coming from ? You should have oil smeared back along the fuselage and canopy to show this. Im not trying to criticize or demean your work, as i think overall its very great work. Im just trying to help with a bit of accuracy.   

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, DalekCheese said:

This is a dead topic, and I doubt it’d work, but is there room for a ride-picker standing to one side scratching his head? :lol:

Damn that auto-correct. I think you meant 'rice picker' Mr DalekCheese?

If memory serves me right, this dio was finished and will be in the RFI section.

Rearguards,

Badder