This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cambridge

impromptu: All suggestions are wellcome

4 posts in this topic

making it short. I have zero experience in diorama making. I also have almost zero experience in modelling i used to do some kits when i was a kid and i've come back to the hobby recently.  

I had this Tamiya zero model scale 1/48 that i built to pick up some experience and i'm already no more satisfied with the result i achieved, therefore i would not put it on display anyway.

i also found i had at home an old package of DAS ( don't know if you have it in your country is a low quality modelling clay ).

Well how to put at good use both of them?, here's the idea, why not use them both to experiment in a diorama? since i'm planning to do another diorama and i'm waiting some material to be shipped at home i can make experiments on this and get some experience from it. Therefore here it is.  

I don't have a precise plan in mind, i'm not even sure i'll finish it, i'll just see how things work out while i do them.  

The plot is more or less just a crashed zero, on some pacific island. 

i'm opening this discussion more than anything to ask question and get suggestion from experienced people. 

Edited by cambridge

so here's how it starts. 

the zero has been torn to pieces,  I've made the base with the clay. that should give the idea of the plane skidding and then getting stuck in it. 

krAHQcO.jpg

than comes the first experiment, i've added a first layer of dirt ( made with coffee powder applied with a mix of water and glue ). It looks quite good on this scale.

I'm waiting for it to dry so i'll see if it stuck to the base or it will fall off. i'll eventually spry over some fixer like hairspray or something similar before applying more layers.

gexnKhH.jpg

the plane still requires a lot of work, that it's not it's final condition. i'll add, if i'm able more damage and i'm planning to repaint lot of it in order to make it look way more damaged. for now i've cut its wing and its tail ( so i can fit it in the small space i had available :D )  i've bent its propeller with a lighter, i've added some minor gun holes Everything has to be worked on of course, this is just a starting point.

e7i22NW.jpg

i'm waiting for some material to be shipped at my home, i'm planning to add some grass around it, possibly a small tree in front of the right wing so i can make some experience with making trees and eventually i've shaped the ground so i can produce a little puddle of water to partially submerge left wing so i can make some experience with water. 

as i said let's see what will come out of this. 

Edited by cambridge
2 people like this

Looking good so far. I would hope that you haven't fixed the zero in place yet. You'll find it much easier to add grass and other vegetation and all the other details without the zero in the way. And it will look more realistic if the grass is actually present under the wing and fuselage etc.

Rearguards,

Badder

42 minutes ago, Badder said:

Looking good so far. I would hope that you haven't fixed the zero in place yet. You'll find it much easier to add grass and other vegetation and all the other details without the zero in the way. And it will look more realistic if the grass is actually present under the wing and fuselage etc.

Rearguards,

Badder

thank you. Yes, the zero isn't fixed at all, as i've said i'm planning to rework it quite a lot, i'm planning to repaint whole part of it, i wanna add skeletons of ailerons and tail sections and i need to rework those ugly cuts i've done in the wing. That is just a tryout pose to give an idea of the final composition of the diorama. 

also the base needs lot and lot and lot more work. 

Edited by cambridge
1 person likes this