Lincoln conversion

jhutchi

Depends which Shackleton.  Mk 3? Don't bother.  MR/AEW2?  Wings, possibly undercarriage.

Besides, if you're buying a complete Shack to use as donor fodder, it may be better investing a few extra pennies and getting a dedicated Lincoln conversion from Blackbird.  Failing that, a Contrail/Sangar Lincoln and an Airfix Lancaster for detail parts.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

Depends which Shackleton.  Mk 3? Don't bother.

Actually, way back in the last century, Airfix Magazine had a feature on mixing an Airfix (old) Lancaster and a Frog Shackleton to build an Avro Licoln.

Lot of work, indeed. Around April 1972, maybe?

26 minutes ago, ClaudioN said:

Actually, way back in the last century, Airfix Magazine had a feature on mixing an Airfix (old) Lancaster and a Frog Shackleton to build an Avro Licoln.

Lot of work, indeed. Around April 1972, maybe?

slacking Giorgio ... ;)

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mags/contents/airfix-magazine-1970s-contents-listing.htm

Vol.13 No.5 January 1972
News from Airfix; Modelling the Sturmgeschuetz IV; Medieval Castle; Trestle Bridges 2; Books for Modellers; Coles Mobile Crane; Bombing Colours 32: The Bomber Offensive (6 tone profiles); Soldiers in 54mm scale; Avro Lincoln (1/72 scale sketches); Spitfire Floatplane (1/72 scale 2-view drwg); Stock Car Mini; Antonov-12 – conversion from An-10 kit (sketches); PhotoPage; New Kits and Models; Letters to the Editor

now where did I put that box of Airfix mags  I was given....

Here is my conversion based on two Airfix Lancaster fuselages ( one a scrap one) and card formers and Milliput noseCIMG5670-1.jpg

CIMG5673.jpg

Fuselage completed

CIMG5700.jpg

Wings combined fromAirfix inners, Gerald Elliott vacform outers and Paragon resin donks

CIMG5723.jpg

Lots of Milliput!

CIMG5726.jpg

Coming together

CIMG5732.jpg

Finished job as RF507 based in Nairobi, Kenya when I was a kid there in the early 1950's

CIMG5761.jpg

CIMG5836.jpg

CIMG5840.jpg

A lot of work but cost me a poofteenth the sum I would have had to fork out for a resin conversion

• Like 20

On the topic of Lincoln conversions, there is a very informative 6 page article in the latest ModelArt Australia. It's a prize-winning build which I have seen in the flesh and is very impressive.

IMG_1411_zpsi41cxk0k.jpg

It covers the use of the Blackbird Models conversion and the Red Roo enhancement kit. The enhancement kit is most useful for the MR.31 which the author has modelled but is useful for any Lincoln.

To get a copy email the editor directly at bassman (a) modelartaus.com.au

• Like 4

I used Airfix Lancaster and the wings of a Frog Shackleton MR.3. Trailing edges and cowlings required a great deal of work. Ed Russell posted a very interesting article indeed; it is the "Radar Nose" Lincoln built in Australia only(?), note the longer nose to house the radar operator.

Time to time I'm playing with an idea to convert Tamiya 1/48 scale Lancaster into a Lincoln. There was a conversion set also for this wasn't there?

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Antti_K said:

I used Airfix Lancaster and the wings of a Frog Shackleton MR.3. Trailing edges and cowlings required a great deal of work. Ed Russell posted a very interesting article indeed; it is the "Radar Nose" Lincoln built in Australia only(?), note the longer nose to house the radar operator.

Time to time I'm playing with an idea to convert Tamiya 1/48 scale Lancaster into a Lincoln. There was a conversion set also for this wasn't there?

Best Regards,

Antti

Do you still have this model Antii, would be interested to see any pictures. I also have the Blackbird/Red Roo conversion sets for my build for the Airfix Lancaster  BII. The build in the Model Art article is a work of art, I have also seen it in the flesh. I think 1/72 will be big enough for me :D 

21 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

It covers the use of the Blackbird Models conversion and the Red Roo enhancement kit. The enhancement kit is most useful for the MR.31 which the author has modelled but is useful for any Lincoln.

Best get in quick if you want one of these. Red Roo are taking orders now.

• 2 weeks later...

img162_zpscb9xuqun.jpg

img163_zpsejscp9bv.jpg

I'm sure no one will mind scans of an article from 1972. I drooled over it back then (but couldn't afford it, early teens. Chop up a Halifax just for the radar dome! Two Lancs! ) and, to be honest, I still can't justify the expense. That said, if I see a Shack going cheap, I might just be tempted and I don't do 1/72.   

• Like 4

The Lincoln's my dad was on and during the Mau Mau uprising had the Aircraft serial Number on the rear Fuse not the  Sqn Codes. He was  on them 47-56 I think. As a matter of interest when did they change to the numbering from lettering?

EG. His were marked RF570,555 etc. from what I've seen of his photos

Edited by bzn20