Spitfire Mk XIV Florennes AB

corsaircorp

10 minutes ago, Julien said:

As long as you are happy for the pictures to be used in the walkaround section I can arrange that.

JUlien

Hello Julien

Feel free to do so,

I've tried to open a topic in the walkaround section, before to open this thread, but to no avail.

I clicked on the walkaround but still stay grey, and Nothing happened.

Hope that I did'nt cause any inconvenience.

sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hi,

No worries on that. Only I can open topics there. I will download your pictures to the BM server so as any further views in the walkaround section dont hit your photo site.

Julien

• Like 1

Hello dears,

The lady is known as RM921 (not very poetic at all) she has been built as a FR XIV between April '44 and February '45, from an order of the 23rd of October 1943.

She is powered by a Griffon 65. I know that she has suffered an accident and the airframe is slightly torn, beyond repair for airworthy certificate. (for a reasonable price of course)

At the time she became a gate guardian in florennes.

WP_20170112_23_18_16_Pro

She look far better today, didn't she ??

I will thank the Florennes air base staff for the access, and particularly Mr Gérald Schepers.

I must pay a tribute to "pépé Delmotte" a mechanic who has spent his retirement life to restore the Lady

and to "pépé wattiez" for the same reasons, may these 2 brave guys rest in peace.

What is a very understanding spouse ??? Mrs Delmotte was, thank to her too.

For not becoming crazy in finding a whole Spitfire Dashboard, with all the kind of dirt one can imagine, cleaned with Hardrox on the kitchen table:o:unsure:. Respect !!

Ok Gents, I will now write the measure on a plan and see if it can be helpfull for me and anyone of you.

Thank for watching, thank for your support, and do not hesitate to ask.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Corsaircorp, what a wonderful thread, both for this particular Spitfire & Mk XIVs in general, its great they've found a good home in the Walkaround section, thank you for making them available. I was fortunate to visit the Brussels Army Museum in late 2014 when I was in Belgium to visit my Uncle's grave on the outskirts of Antwerp. It was very much a quick visit & one I'm keen to make longer one day. I now have another destination in Belgium, at Florennes. :) One of my favourite websites is  this one , since my visit to the Brussels museum, I've become a devotee to Belgian military aviation with an increasing collection of kits & decals to uitlise to this end. :) On the Belgian wings site I found this photo of SG 57 in earlier if not happier times, maybe the accident your last post mentions. From the tail on photo early in this thread, it appears that these aircraft had the fairing around the camera port on both sides, something born out by this photo of SG 29 with a distinctly see through look to its camera port.

Steve.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Corsaircorp, what a wonderful thread, both for this particular Spitfire & Mk XIVs in general, its great they've found a good home in the Walkaround section, thank you for making them available. I was fortunate to visit the Brussels Army Museum in late 2014 when I was in Belgium to visit my Uncle's grave on the outskirts of Antwerp. It was very much a quick visit & one I'm keen to make longer one day. I now have another destination in Belgium, at Florennes. :) One of my favourite websites is  this one , since my visit to the Brussels museum, I've become a devotee to Belgian military aviation with an increasing collection of kits & decals to uitlise to this end. :) On the Belgian wings site I found this photo of SG 57 in earlier if not happier times, maybe the accident your last post mentions. From the tail on photo early in this thread, it appears that these aircraft had the fairing around the camera port on both sides, something born out by this photo of SG 29 with a distinctly see through look to its camera port.

Steve.

Hello Steve,

Thank for the kind words. About Belgian aviation, I really liked the one who were in british squadron... and remained in british Sqdn even after the creation of 349 an 350.

If I can help you, do not hesitate, but I've more docs about FAA and USN than Belgian Air Force.

If you plan to come back in Belgium, call on me, I can show you a lot of very moving place in this country. In the place I live now, between '40 and '45, there is 47 crash sites.

I'm fascinated by recent history.

Have a nice day.

Corsaircorp

Hi Corsaircorp, it sounds to me like we have a date sometime in the hopefully not too many years away future. I would like to take you up on that. Apart from a pilgrimage to my Uncles gravesite in the CWGC cemertery in Schoonselhof on the outskirts of Antwerp, which I have visited a couple of times now, I am keen to find out more of the circumstances of his crash & whether any Belgium locals were involved too, it would be nice to remember them as well.

Steve.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Corsaircorp, it sounds to me like we have a date sometime in the hopefully not too many years away future. I would like to take you up on that. Apart from a pilgrimage to my Uncles gravesite in the CWGC cemertery in Schoonselhof on the outskirts of Antwerp, which I have visited a couple of times now, I am keen to find out more of the circumstances of his crash & whether any Belgium locals were involved too, it would be nice to remember them as well.

Steve.

Hello Steve,

You're welcome,

Let me know (by private message) the things you know about the crash, and I will search for it.

I know lots of peoples in this tiny circle. I mean the guys who do such a research properly.

I participate to the digging of 2 Lancs and a Morane 406. Still very moving experience.

did you know this website ? http://www.miaproject.net/

I have been in touch with them years ago, very nice guys indeed.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

A  period colour shot from Etienne Du Plessis flickr account

8149866771_c60f0a3fe3_o.jpgSpitfire LF XIV's of 349 (Belgian) Sqn. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

The second F(R).XIV carries a Belgian serial number, SG 17 (or something similar). They also all carry Belgian roundels which were not painted on their aircraft until appx April 1946! 349 (Belgian) Squadron officially left RAF on 24.10.1946 and went back to Belgium where it became 349 Smaldeel.
Belgium received their first 14s in April 1947. 
What we see is also a mix of 349 and 350 Smaldeel aircraft since 349 Sm used blue spinners while 350 Sm used red ones.
I have no idea how the Belgian bases looked like back in the late 1940s, but if I may venture a guess, the picture was taken at either Koksijde or Bevekom during the late 1940s.
Stig

here's all the colour  Spitfire shots

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

the Belgian Wings site has a load of photos

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Belgian_Aviation_History/BAFAircraft/Bafallaircraft_1945_today.htm

scroll down for Spitfires

here's the Spitfire XIV's

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/post_ww2/Supermarine Spitfire XIV/Supermarine Spitfire FR.14 Frontpage.html

cheers

T

PS 

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/post_ww2/Supermarine Spitfire XIV/Spit 14 SG057.html

sg057_dbx_01.jpg

Due to a technical malfunction the left undercarriage leg of Spitfire FR.14e SG-57/YL-N retracted while taxiing at Florennes airbase on June 1st, 1950.
This  aircraft is now preserved at Florennes, painted to represent Spitfire SG-49/RL-D (which had a bubble canopy), the personal mount of famous
 WWII pilot Raymond (Cheval) Lallemand.

Edited by Troy Smith
add details
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

In the Spitfire XIV photo link, notice that several of the aircraft had the late, larger rudder with the 'z' tab!

Mike

• Like 2

Hello Dears,

Years ago, I have gathered lot of info about the Belgian Spitfires, I've got the idea to write a book about the use of the machine in post war Belgian Air Force.

As usual in this country, there was highly passionated debate about the use of the Spitfire, instead of jet engined aircrafts.

Rumours of sabotages and so on... The fact is that there has been lot of accidents, but as far as I can document the whole of it.

The Spitfire is not the main accused, but again as usual, there's a shroud over the whole story. Not so easy to find out what has actually happened.

The way things are going in this thread spark my interest once again:unsure:

Have a very nice day, I'm glad that all this can help someone.

Sincerely.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2017 at 9:11 AM, corsaircorp said:

The fact is that there has been lot of accidents,

Didn't this have to do with the absence of two-seater Spitfires and the fact that the Mk.IX (used for training) and the Mk. XIV (used in the squadrons) not only have a marked difference in engine power, but also an opposite torque (propellor turning in the opposite direction)?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ivand said:

Didn't this have to do with the absence of two-seater Spitfires and the fact that the Mk.IX (used for training) and the Mk. XIV (used in the squadrons) not only have a marked difference in engine power, but also an opposite torque (propellor turning in the opposite direction)?

Hello Ivand,

The remark is well worth his price, but no, not at all. The accidents I did had the opportunity to look at, show a problem of mentality, there was at the time a whole batch of pilots formed in RAF schools in UK and overseas.

Some of the Spitfire were worn and if the Belgian Air Force of that time had pilots, the lack of mechanics was enormous. Try to find the 3 books that recounts the story of Saffraenberg school, it is interesting.

There was also the newspapers, some reporters were well aware of some problems but can't tell it thoroughly. And a thing half said is the open door for any theorist...

The problem was deep and complex and typically belgian in its unfolding. But I will not at all, that all the burden to be carried by the Spitfire, that's unfair and too easy. 

Thank you

Sincerely

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Corsaircorp,

did you take a measurement of the  maximum height of the rudder balance horn? Taking the rudder post heigth as 60,75", from side pictures it seems to be something like 7"

TIA

Stefano

• Like 1

17 hours ago, steh2o said:

Hello Corsaircorp,

did you take a measurement of the  maximum height of the rudder balance horn? Taking the rudder post heigth as 60,75", from side pictures it seems to be something like 7"

TIA

Stefano

Hello Dear,

What do you mean by rudder balance horn ?

Do you Elevator balance horn ?

Sorry but I did'nt take measures on the tail section, but I can look on the Aircraft TO, just have to find it in my attic:huh:.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hello Corsaircorp,

I mean XIVtail.jpg"h" in the drawing (perhaps balance horn is not the correct term)

I iunderstand that the height of the rudder post in the Mk XIV is the original 58" + 2,75" added inches or 60,75" total. based on this and measuring some photograph I get approximately 7 inches for "h".

Thank you, best regards

Stefano

• Like 1

Interesting aircraft this, and thanks for the great pictures. I think I'm right in saying that the high-back 'FR XIVs' with the teardrop lens covers were all converted in the field by 2TAF - or at 2TAF's request - to do the kind of job that the pink FR IXs had done previously. As far as I'm aware all 'pure' FR XIVs, that were built as such, were low-backs, and they came later. V happy to be corrected though.

Justin

• Like 2

Hello dears,

I will try to find it out in my documents and as I will go soon to the Brussels museum for another reason, I'll look up there if there is any info.

I also will take the measure for Stefano, may be the coming week, since I'm in a busy mode tor this while.

All I know is that BAF did'nt receive any brand new Mk XIV, they came up all from diverses AMU.

Some were already repaired machine (cat 1 and 2)

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Hello again Corsaircorp,

perhaps while you are there up close with the  real thing... could you please take some picture showing the rivet lines on the Griffon cowling? More or less I have undestood where they are on the side panels, but no hint about lower and upper parts of the cowling.

Thank you

Stefano

• Like 1

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

I was interested to see that this aircraft doe not have a bulge over the wheel well, something to do with the fact that it was a ' converted ' FR XIV perhaps.

I visited the Brussels army museum a couple of times in the '90s and was impressed, unfortunately when I went there about 15 years ago I chose a day when it was closed.

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steh2o said:

Hello again Corsaircorp,

perhaps while you are there up close with the  real thing... could you please take some picture showing the rivet lines on the Griffon cowling? More or less I have undestood where they are on the side panels, but no hint about lower and upper parts of the cowling.

Thank you

Stefano

Hey Stefano

Have a look in the aircraft w.i.p section for the 1/18th Spit XIV that a fella is making.

Shane.

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:17, Biggles87 said:

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

I was interested to see that this aircraft doe not have a bulge over the wheel well, something to do with the fact that it was a ' converted ' FR XIV perhaps.

I visited the Brussels army museum a couple of times in the '90s and was impressed, unfortunately when I went there about 15 years ago I chose a day when it was closed.

John

Hello Biggles,

closed on monday, and now the museum is no longer free.

Crisis has make its way, even there...

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1