Spitfire Mk XIV Florennes AB

corsaircorp

Hello Dears,

I did get in Florennes AB, there is a little museum, at first it was only for the Spitfire Mk XIV restored on the spot.

Now there is another hall for more modern Aircraft, F-84E, F-84F, Mirage V, F-16A, Fouga Magister, Tiger moth, UAV, and a Lance missile launcher.

But I did get up there for taking some measurements to improve the Hobbycraft Mk XIV.

Here are some photos from my 11 yars old son and me, hope that you will enjoy.

All the photos are from cell phone, so do not be too severe please.

20170108_14240320170108_14234120170108_142304

• Like 10

Let's now have a look on the undersides

WP_20170108_14_26_11_Pro20170108_14245620170108_142505

Before we go any further, I have to say that I've measured the Wheel wells and it's not circular !

It is slightly ovalised, 2 inches longer from the leading edge looking toward the trailing edge.

Eduard wing seem to be allright^_^

20170108_14254120170108_14262020170108_14273020170108_14275620170108_14294220170108_143601

Some other photos will come soon, maybe this night, depending of my work here.

Hope that you enjoy.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 14

Thanks for sharing these pics of a very rare `high back' Spitfire FR.XIV with the teardrop camera aperture fairing,..... I didn`t even realise that this one existed!

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

How nicet to see an aeroplane In a museum where it's clearly fully accessible!  These good photos remind me of the Brussels Army museum, where it is (or was?) the same.  It's a while since I was able to visit there. Many thanks for sharing them, Corsaircorp.

Like Tony (preceding post) I'm surprised to see the fairing round the camera port.  It isn't on the example that is (was) in tge RAFM - that museum's sole example of a Spitfire XIV, now apparently on long term loan to the USAF museum ...

Jonny

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jonny said:

How nicet to see an aeroplane In a museum where it's clearly fully accessible!  These good photos remind me of the Brussels Army museum, where it is (or was?) the same.  It's a while since I was able to visit there. Many thanks for sharing them, Corsaircorp.

Like Tony (preceding post) I'm surprised to see the fairing round the camera port.  It isn't on the example that is (was) in tge RAFM - that museum's sole example of a Spitfire XIV, now apparently on long term loan to the USAF museum ...

Jonny

Thank you Jonny,

In fact, I did got a special clearance, but that's clearly more accessible than in other museums. As the museum is within an active air base, there is some restrictions for the visits.

Schedules can be found here https://www.museespitfire-florennes.be/

They are kind and I really love the place, only 18 Kms from my home.

I've spent lot of time up there in the '90. Helping and so.

I will finish the photos and then have a little history of the lady.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hello dears,

Here is a closer view to the fairings and wings.

The cannon fairing are finally replaced, years ago, it has been presented without, and then with look alike fairing on account of economy.

Now, they have fitted new fairings from UK.

WP_20170108_14_39_41_ProWP_20170108_14_38_45_ProWP_20170108_14_22_05_ProWP_20170108_14_22_20_ProWP_20170108_14_41_16_Pro

So, one can see that the rivets are clearly apparents. Once again Eduard is right.

But on the leading edge, one can see some traces from a putty, this was intended to have a smoother surface.

So rivets or not, it is up to you gents !!

20170108_14310420170108_14390220170108_143825

To be continued.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Corsaircorp

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Beard said:

Thanks for sharing your photos, they be very useful when I get round to making my AZ & Sword kits.

Thank you Beard.

Feel free to do so, I did make a lot of measurement, do not hesitate, I'll be glad to help.

I mean this kind of measures.

20170108_143143

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Don McIntyre said:

Great photos, will be saving these to the hard drive!

Hello Don,

Feel free, the photos are here purpotedly.

My pleasure, if I can help.

Thank you.

Corsaircorp

12 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks for sharing these pics of a very rare `high back' Spitfire FR.XIV with the teardrop camera aperture fairing,..... I didn`t even realise that this one existed!

Cheers

Tony 

Thank you Tony,

I really like your alias, remember me of the Benouville bridge.

Thank for the kind words? I'll look in the TO about the camera fairings.

There is a low back Mk XiV in Brussels, and a Mk IX too, they are next to the Hurricane and the Battle.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Thank you Tony,

I really like your alias, remember me of the Benouville bridge.

Thank for the kind words? I'll look in the TO about the camera fairings.

There is a low back Mk XiV in Brussels, and a Mk IX too, they are next to the Hurricane and the Battle.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

I`d like to get over to Brussels to the Military Museum one day as they have some really interesting aircraft there.

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I`d like to get over to Brussels to the Military Museum one day as they have some really interesting aircraft there.

Cheers

Tony 

Sure, call on me and let's meet. There is just a problem in this museum, too much aircrafts in a "tiny" place.

The ceiling is made of greenhouse, taking good photos for the magazine was pretty difficult.

But I really like the place and spent so much time up there.

Thank you again.

Corsaircorp

Hello Dears,

Since the spinner and engine cowling is a problem with lots of Griffom engined Spitfire.

Have a look and the rest is up to you.

WP_20170108_14_26_59_ProWP_20170108_14_26_55_Pro

The spinner is not easy to measure but I took 80cm in lenght or about 16mm in 1/48

WP_20170108_14_26_01_Pro

Prop blade is 1,25m from the base to the tip

0,27m at the broadest part following the curve of the blade and 0,26 in elevation.

WP_20170108_14_30_10_Pro

There is 0,40m in between the spinner back plate and the cutting fpr the exhaust stacks, following the seem between the panels.

WP_20170108_14_44_28_ProWP_20170108_14_44_21_Pro

Not the easiest pic to take:oB)

After that, my friend did really consider me as completely crazy:rolleyes:

Still will post the tail story.

Have a nice night.

Corsaircorp

• Like 3

Erratum,

On the above post I mean Griffon engined.

On the opening post, this is not a F-84E but a F-84G, sorry about that, My mistake.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hello Dears,

Thank Giorgio, Thank Mike,

I'm glad if these photos are helpfull.

Let's see a tail story ?

WP_20170108_14_36_03_Pro20170108_14275620170108_143544

A close up shot of the fabric appearance

20170108_14362220170108_143629

Ok Gents and Ladies, I think that the walkaround is complete now, still I will add a little history of the lady.

I've to get in my attic, looking in my thousands of notes and so.

Thank for watching, once again, feel free to save or use it for the benefits of our beloved bits of plastic.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4

Beautiful photos!  I suggest having them added to the walkaround section, because they will fade from memory/view pretty quickly here on the WWII section.

I may have to make some inquiries about measurements, but don't know what numbers I "want" offhand!

Thanks for sharing,

bob

• Like 2

Thanks so much for sharing excellent closeup shots. A clipped wing high-back FR. XIV is extremely rare and one with a teardrop camera window fairing is even rarer. Could you post some overall shot of the right hand side please?

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Beautiful photos!  I suggest having them added to the walkaround section, because they will fade from memory/view pretty quickly here on the WWII section.

I may have to make some inquiries about measurements, but don't know what numbers I "want" offhand!

Thanks for sharing,

bob

Hello Bob,

I've tried to open a topic in the walkaround section, but it did'nt work out.

If some of the administrator can make the topic sliding in the walkaround section....

Thank for the kind words.

Corsaircorp

1 hour ago, Junchan said:

Thanks so much for sharing excellent closeup shots. A clipped wing high-back FR. XIV is extremely rare and one with a teardrop camera window fairing is even rarer. Could you post some overall shot of the right hand side please?

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums 

Hello Jun.

I have to look in my old slide for such a view.

But can't promise it since the shape of the building plus the overview bridge make the right hand side very difficult to take in a picture.

https://www.museespitfire-florennes.be/

Have a look at their website, but I keep you in touch.

Thank you.

Corsaircorp.