The other Tim's 1/48 Academy F16C - A16 CAS Viper

Tim Moff

Im in with the Academy 1/48 F16C boxing. Plan is to use the Caracal 48-086 CAS Vipers decals (ordered yet to arrive).

I understand the kit is a pain - I looked at the last STGB, it was built with my other decals of choice, the SuperScale 111FS 90th birthday Texas ANG. So it may change as I have paint for both. I have filler and sanding sticks!

Have my Mustang to finish before I jet off to Uganda on Sunday, so may get to start or it may wait for a couple of weeks.

D49FD757-FFE5-4139-BAEB-BA7AEE8E5D25_zps

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 5

I'm with you Simon, it's not a bad kit at all. It's one of very few kits I've built and even I made a decent job of it. It's very close to the Hasegawa kit in construction. The one thing I think is quite well known about it and did catch me out is the join of the upper and lower wing halves. I found out the hard way and had to do some remedial work. I can't remember specifically the problem right now but I'll try and refresh my memory.

• Like 1

and welcome again with your second build, it's the first time we've seen an Academy F-16, so it'll be very interesting to follow!

again good luck with the build, and I hope it's an enjoyable one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm back from Uganda, couple of days TOIL. Hopefully make a start this week.

Decals arrived:

4CBD2447-5593-4CA2-92A6-C2E9E9879483_zps

12888AFA-A2E5-4139-90D3-9E85F1177E4A_zps

80FAB148-07AE-48BE-B905-DECD5404320A_zps

6DBA44A0-E4B6-4A54-864E-E50480EED23B_zps

2555BE79-33ED-4EC5-AE8B-4E841E8650CD_zps

Look great, but no instruction regards the wing walk stencils, what numbers are what! Will have to try to piece em together - anyone who has done them before feel free to explain!

I have also started taking parts off the sprue, cleaning up, test fitting and prepping some areas from primer. There are going to be some fit issues with the wings, gaps at the fuselage join etc. Some fettling on the lower wing trying to get the upper wing root a lesser issue, will see how it goes. Same with the intake....looks fiddly and there will be a step to fill/sort.

Luckily the big gun GAU-13/A, which was mounted in the GPU-5/A pod used is also in the kit, along with the Mavericks.  The pod was used during the 91 Gulf war by an ANG but soon discarded. I am not sure if it was ever trialed/tested as part of the A16 experiment I am modelling? Should I put it on?

Even the AIM9Ls will be green!

some interesting articles/pics/references:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-f-16-gun-pod-that-tried-to-shoot-down-the-a-10-wart-1597577525

792646063258129993.jpg

Looks like single Mavs only. anyone know the ejector unit name? I have a TER in the kit, probably will not add the lower part as I can only see 1c Mav on in the pics.

792625529938623302.jpg

30MM gun GPU-5/A pod

792625529181986374.jpg

aab.jpg?m=1371900888

Was going to minimise the weathering, but this airframe is looking a bit dirty - although its the F16A Block 1from the early 80s.

F-16B_HL-R01.jpg

The Pave Penny is very similar to the HARM pod so I can nick a duplicated part out of the Hase kit I have where there are 2. A bit of filing and reshaping should do it.

Pave Penny mounts for Israeli F16C

akf.jpg?m=1371904529

pdlpavepennyf16.jpg

HARM to compare

f16c003.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

The instructions for wing walkway boundary markings (NO STEP/WALKWAY) are right there on the last page of the instruction sheet - see instructions for Option 1. The boundary stripes themselves are simple stripes (slightly oversized in length to accommodate variations between different kits) and it should be fairly straightforward to cut and fit them on the kit as required.

These lines are in the standard locations on almost every F-16. Any F-16 kit which has these markings on the decal sheet will specify location information for this. I sometimes omit these with the assumption that their locations are common knowledge for anyone who has ever built an F-16 kit, but clearly this is not valid every time. For my next F-16 sheet, I will make sure I have a diagram online and add some wording to point users to the Web site. 

Good luck with the build!

Edited by CaracalModels
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

The instructions for wing walkway boundary markings (NO STEP/WALKWAY) are right there on the last page of the instruction sheet - see instructions for Option 1. The boundary stripes themselves are simple stripes (slightly oversized in length to accommodate variations between different kits) and it should be fairly straightforward to cut and fit them on the kit as required.

These lines are in the standard locations on almost every F-16. Any F-16 kit which has these markings on the decal sheet will specify location information for this. I sometimes omit these with the assumption that their locations are common knowledge for anyone who has ever built an F-16 kit, but clearly this is not valid every time. For my next F-16 sheet, I will make sure I have a diagram online and add some wording to point users to the Web site. 

Good luck with the build!

Thanks for the explanation - I can see the no step (S37) decals - my point was that there are no indications where S30, S31, S32, S33 and S34 should go/be used !

I have used your decals loads and have nothing but good outcomes.

As you have explained it is a case of cutting to shape for different builds - as feedback I would say it would have been useful to indicate which decal is for which line but may need cutting back;   say S30 be used as the 2 x main lines on the wings, S33 for the horizontal line across the fuselage behind the canopy, etc, etc. 

I have not built an F16 since the airfix initial YF16 back in the 80's. Its not so much where the lines go, there are clearly marked - its more about suggesting which decal number should be used for which walkway with some trimming. Common sense I know! 

Is the website mentioned yours?

Have got most items I need off the sprue and started some early component building, including ordnance.

101 uses of the dining table decoration - erm whatever you do don't tell Mrs M!!!!

A4A7B730-874A-438F-B594-1A7910C2F912_zps

The lines discussed with Caracal

6DBA44A0-E4B6-4A54-864E-E50480EED23B_zps

2555BE79-33ED-4EC5-AE8B-4E841E8650CD_zps

Sure I work out the best way!

I always do in flight so there are often gaps in undercarriage doors - some filling to do here.

74031379-DED3-4A25-AC13-8C6D93A514E8_zps

Gonna go for the Gun, 2 x tanks, 2 x Mavs and 2 x AIM9s plus the 'Pave Penny' (HTS)

07C4DC91-FCD9-4EC5-B1CD-6B55CF8F2717_zps

some filling and priming next and recover a HTS from the Hase kit.

9632F0E9-EAA5-489A-BDFB-553D2A41FD87_zps

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

the fit of those U/C doors are pretty horrible, they look way undersized. It seem like most of the time manufacturers produce models to have U/C down and the up option really isn't an up option! I have the same issue with a model I have for a forthcoming GB as well!

I do like the idea of an F-16 with a Gun Pod!!! actually anything with a Gun Pod is super cool! 

• Like 1

On 31/01/2017 at 6:13 PM, Tim Moff said:

Looks like single Mavs only. anyone know the ejector unit name? I have a TER in the kit, probably will not add the lower part as I can only see 1c Mav on in the pics.

The single Maverick launcher is known as the LAU-117. Wolfpack Designs does them in resin. They are also included in the Kinetic F-16 and HobbyBoss A-10 kits.

Mark

• Like 1

On 2/2/2017 at 10:17 PM, trickyrich said:

the fit of those U/C doors are pretty horrible, they look way undersized. It seem like most of the time manufacturers produce models to have U/C down and the up option really isn't an up option! I have the same issue with a model I have for a forthcoming GB as well!

I do like the idea of an F-16 with a Gun Pod!!! actually anything with a Gun Pod is super cool! 

Yep, is poor, whatever happened to the days when both options were provided!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got some work done, after a right old dust up with the intake assembly (I won - just!), test fitting seems fine, a gap to fill between the intake and 'belly'. Most WIPs show gaps on the wings, so more filler, cursing and fighting inbound no doubt! Bit of work to clean up the upper intake (most will be hidden!) before priming and painting and attaching. Hard to get in there on 1/72 and 1/48.

90515D0A-2C27-40EF-8554-6E432C14E387_zps

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some bench time this weekend. Have to say the kit is living up to its reputation, fighting all the way!

Cleaned up the intake (not too hard as its unseen) and primed. Got the Mr Pain Euro Grey out to paint the upper area, tought I would spray around to see how it looked.

CDFCB90D-DFAC-4047-B247-FD51D358B65D_zps

Once the intake was on, (with a trenchline between intake and belly!) I got the wings on. After a bit of fettling, removal of ejection pin marks etc, it soon became obvious the wing fit was horrific!

3526E2F7-0A12-4002-BC7B-9ECD0D6D4FEB_zps

0AE0F099-257D-4245-BCFC-2ADB2B557557_zps

Underside not much nicer!!

42EC0C16-C170-43D2-8CCC-490E1FB4C17D_zps

Got the masked exhaust on, nose cone and got some filling done!

813BA138-44AD-4130-BB47-AD79C735B7F9_zps

4043BC9D-C62F-4F75-8643-EA055B13AAA7_zps

On checking it became apparent the AIM9 outer rails were not carried (just the tank and Mavericks with AIM9s on the wing tips) So I have filled the holes in, just need sanding and maybe another pass.

Plenty of filler on show!

4B13242E-65BD-46B7-9544-3C432607F3E4_zps

As most of the ancils, rails, tanks etc are painted as part of the Euro Cam (even the AIM9s), most of the painting will be done in one go. I have used Mr Paints paint on my Mustang and have to say it goes on reallly nicely, about 12-15 PSI, building up layers slowly.

To get the black basing/mottling down to pat I think I need to invest in a Mr Airbrush PS 770 or Custom Micron CM-B 0.18MM airbrush (my Iwata Neo is 0.35mm and HP-C + is 0.3MM) - wifey will question though!!!

However on this build not too much contrast is needed as the paint was not on for long. I plan to black base/prime with Mr Surfacer, but may post fade a small bit. I think the scheme will look cool!

Hope fully get some done this week, got a weeks leave the next week so should break the back of both builds.

• Like 2

wow the last time I saw channels/gaps like that were on the "Deathstar"!!! Nice job filling them, how many tubes of filler did you end up using!

I don't bother using the 0.4mm nozzle on my H&S, I just thin everything right down with Mr Hobby Leveler/Thinner (thank you Tony!!) and use the 0.2mm fittings.  Works wonders for giving you that "patchy" finish even though it can take forever to paint some stuff....the OSA missile boat being one!!

• Like 1

I do agree, EURO1 and F-16's do look awesome, much better than the bland grey!!

Speaking of which I do have to get back to my other F-16 project, the F-16JK, hopefully I'll get some done on her later this week.

• Like 1