Trumpeter 1/35 BMP-2 IFV Ukraine

robgizlu

After a 6 month build on the Revell Corvette, it's time to return to my more familiar habit of AFVs.  Although after seeing so much inspiring work here on aircraft I rather think I'll commit to the modelling equivalent of Triathlon and go for an aircraft after this:hmmm:

And so, onwards to the kit which has been well reviewed elsewhere and provides a modern alternative to the elderly Dragon/Zvezda offering.

I've taken quite a like to these recent Soviet bloc Trumpeter kits.

DSCF7675_zpsvca1lfmq.jpg

They are relatively cheap and reasonably detailed.  This comes with vinyl one piece tracks which I'll replace with MasterClub resin versions

DSCF7674_zps3yw33zz2.jpg

I aim to build a rather attractive and colourful machine - decals curtesy of Echelon Fine Details...

DSCF7672_zpsnvospxvk.jpg

DSCF7673_zpsjvupdt34.jpg

However, I can find No photographic representation of this on T'internet which is a shame.

My single reference remains this adequate Concord offering (and shame and despair that they seem to haves stopped publishing)

Scan0190_zpsemtfring.jpg

The hull tub is nicely moulded..

DSCF7676_edited-1_zpsjgabxk79.jpg

DSCF7677_zpszfoyccb0.jpg

Deck fit is perfect 

DSCF7678_zpsrrlaf2ig.jpg

The original idea was to go for a straight build but you know how it is - there is a partial interior so on reflection I'll probably have some hatches open.  More soon

Thanks for looking

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
Spelling!
  • Like 7

Etienne - Enchanté!

I'm indebted to John (11bravo) who did a fab job on his BMP-1 Trumpeter BMP-1 and introduced me to S P Designs.  I hadn't hear of them before.  They are well worth checking out for Russian kit.  Sergej is sending me the BMP-2 update, I asked him whether I needed one of his turrets but he very honestly said that the kit version was exact for the Ukrainian machine.

TheTrumpeter instructions are line drawn and always pretty good IMHO.....

Scan0192_zpshprp7ia8.jpg

I like the colour scheme sheet included nowadays with Mig Ammo marked paint colours.  Their are multiple versions provided in this kit

Scan0191_zpsz7syyll0.jpg

Buried in the Mig Ammo site under the 6 paint acrylic set for "Ukraine ATO" is this very useful and pertinent PDF relating to authentic Ukraine armed AFV force colours

Mig Ammo Ukraine ATO colours

so it's an off with the suspension swing arms  -fit is good with no flash and fairly minimal mould lines

DSCF7680_zps58pntv2j.jpg

And when I get bored I switch to the interior - if the rear doors are open there are some fairly horrid sink marks visible just within that need filling

DSCF7679_zpssukkr41n.jpg

The first problem apparent on dry fitting and one pointed out by Olivier Carneau (Merci Olivier) is that the back benches sit too high - here they are in the original

00BMP2Interior_zps6z2gfesz.jpg

It's necessary to lop off about 1mm off their bases..

DSCF7684_zpssrg7qqpz.jpg

To get to this (the edge of the seat also needs chamfering)

DSCF7685_zpsuwbd0rfl.jpg

DSCF7686_zpscgpr9knq.jpg

The back is cluttered though in reality most of the clutter are tie down straps and a vacuum extractor system that runs along pipes on the deck roof - giving off individual flexible hoses with "siphon" hoods that are meant to collect used shells from firing through the ports together with shell fumes (so now you know!)

I've tried very crudely to represent this (not a lot ever gets seen of the interior) here depicted on the Right side of the picture

DSCF7690_zps5tl19ikw.jpg

And you guessed it - the parts are from the spares box off an old Sherman.

DSCF7691_zpspbdal7qs.jpg

Forward crew seats and Glacis are made up 

DSCF7681_zpsfgvupppa.jpg

And finally a quick dry fit of the turret in place

DSCF7682_zpsrextt0co.jpg

Thanks for looking

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
Pic restoration
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for looking in Fellas.

The turret assembly has been simplified by Trumpeter....

DSCF7683_zpsfllrlhe0.jpg

Thee is a semi circular "box" for the empty shell casings that sits under the seats - you can see it here in red...

bmp-2%20empty%20shell%20casings%20collec

I'm going to fudge it and do a Faux "box" as not much can be seen anyway.

DSCF7698_zpsl8etuknh.jpg

DSCF7699_zpsgdge3rhs.jpg

DSCF7710_zpsc1ecob5h.jpg

Work continues with the sidewalls and the aim is to add "clutter"

DSCF7697_zpsnnqt4mom.jpg

DSCF7708_zpshecga8dv.jpg

DSCF7711_zpsy9vcmd9f.jpg

I bent up some metal rod to replicate the prominent green pipe that arises from the rear Seat island

DSCF7702_zpsmksrcpou.jpg

DSCF7709_zpsutjxuxry.jpg

DSCF7712_zpsptfoajoz.jpg

The extracters are glued to flexible pipe that I originally got over 20 years ago from Tim Perry at PP Aeroparts.  It's from elastic material and I've never come across anything similar since

DSCF7716_zps7mbeojob.jpg

DSCF7717_zpsivt5emls.jpg

DSCF7718_zpsvaxznan0.jpg

DSCF7719_zpsow2dmyor.jpg

And at last we come to closing-up time ....

DSCF7720_zps3emqqx8y.jpg

And whilst all this was going on, the SP Designs resins set arrived.  Very fine it is too.

DSCF7703_zpsvmbw4p5g.jpg

DSCF7704_zps9y9e4vyb.jpg

The resin parts are better detailed (not surprisingly) than the styrene offering.  Forward deck hatches come in 2 types.  Excellent value - check SP Designs out.

DSCF7705_zpsofd4qzfg.jpg

DSCF7707_zpsxhwwwxlk.jpg

I've also had a chance to try Mig Ammo's new "one-shot" primer, and I'm very impressed.  Good coverage with a very smooth finish

DSCF7713_zpssfqpf28h.jpg

Wheels are prepared...

DSCF7714_zps8lbo3x8q.jpg

as are glass periscope lenses - this is the first time I've used the Mig Ammmo Crystal periscope green and pleased I was

DSCF7715_zpszgef5moi.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Rob

• Like 13

Thanks for the comments All.

On 1/24/2017 at 1:17 PM, Doctorgaz said:

very good bilding !!!

Hi Doctorgaz, I don't suppose you have access to any pictures of this particular Ukrainian machine?  

On 1/24/2017 at 0:00 PM, Sairou said:

I love the weathering you have done on the inside of the turret, looks very life-like. Could you possibly inform me on the technique?

Thanks Sairou

DSCF7723_zpscvwbq8tk.jpg

I use the Streaking effects and Engine grime to "line" the floor edges - the feather with a brush dampened with white spirit.  I add some industrial dirt pigment and rub in dry with a cotton bud.

It's all very "loose" - you can clean up any unwanted stains with white spirit (It's worth sealing it all with Klear first - or you'll lift the paint).  Then use a cotton bud or artists shaper - (ask in an art shop they'll know what you are after - the head is flexible rubber) to rub in the steel pigment and finally the Silver Karismacolor pencil leaves a bright metal finish when rubbed along edges.

I'm indebted to Andy Moore for suggesting the Engine Grime which has a satin sheen and really does work well.  Check out http://www.themodellingnews.com/2017/01/build-guide-king-tiger-henschel-turret.html#more for more of his work using this technique (makes mine look rather amateurish).

HTH.  Rob

I was intending to use the kit barrel ....but it's very subtlely warped along the length which is a shame.  i ended up ordering an RB barrel off the net for £3.50 which is substantially better detailed but will need a bit of careful fitting to the turret/barrel stub...

DSCF7724_zpsmluh31sk.jpg

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
Picture add
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, robgizlu said:

......, I don't suppose you have access to any pictures of this particular Ukrainian machine?  

What interests you?
  I will try to do everything possible, but I am more pilot, than avf-modeler.

Edited by Doctorgaz

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the late reply Docotorgaz.  I understand.  It's frustrating not having any pictures for this exact vehicle.

Slow progress due to the usual (work, work, work)

The turret builds up very nicely - fit is excellent throughout

DSCF7726_zpsgqteiegq.jpg

DSCF7727_zpsymjwk4gv.jpg

DSCF7728_zpsg3wyhbpe.jpg

DSCF7725_zpssw1ptjy8.jpg

DSCF7730_zps1plcd79p.jpg

DSCF7731_zpsng6vofga.jpg

DSCF7735_zpsvvmqrtyz.jpg

Onto tracks and painting

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 9

Thanks for the comments Fellas.

I opted to weather the tracks and undersides prior to fitting the sponsons

DSCF7738_zpsysgvt05u.jpg

I'm aiming for lightish "Splashed"weathering

DSCF7741_zpsqqjwd7pc.jpg

DSCF7742_zpszz2xw1bw.jpg

And then on with the MasterClub tracks that are snap together and need minimal clean u (joy unbounded!)

DSCF7743_zpsmenka5oe.jpg

With the sponsons fitted, it's starting to look like a BMP at last

DSCF7745_zpssowpi0dx.jpg

the sides are painted white and will be masked to represent the Ukraine ID recogntion marks

DSCF7746_zpsxeafsdsi.jpg

and the vision ports are finally fitted

DSCF7747_zpscpgmlfl9.jpg

And Primer

DSCF7748_zpswrix1chn.jpg

And top coat using Mig Ammo 083 thinned with Gunze Levelling Thinner, a tip picked up from Andy Moore (Andy RM101) which really transforms Mig Ammo in terms of spraying ease.  I use about paint to thinner 4 : 1.

DSCF7749_zps1fwf05ss.jpg

DSCF7750_zpsihkdut12.jpg

and then Matt black with an overspray using Mig Red Brown Light 914 which I dont think would be possible without the Gunze thinners.  As it is this took me 4 hours

DSCF7753_zpsdrkmxlok.jpg

DSCF7751_zpspg0nhjs4.jpg

DSCF7754_zpsya3pkp0e.jpg

Onto filters and washes next and then the Decals - Yay

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 10