F-16CJ (Tamiya, 1/72)

alex

Good afternoon,

yesterday, I have started to build the Tamiya-F-16. Wow, that's an amazing kit! Must have one of the best surface details I ever saw on a 1/72-kit! It will be a wild weasel Viper as used in Libya 2011 in operation Odyssey dawn. The real thing should look something like this: http://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album38/album70/91-0343_001 As no weapons or tanks are included in this kit (I bought the first boxing...), I also got a cheap Hasegawa F-16, from which I will use the ordnance. Decals are from Astra Decals, and the seat is from Quickboost.

Alex

• Like 2

Let's start with the proof that the kit isn't started yet!

1-start_zpsbpmwkftl.jpg

The main gear well was glued from three parts. Fitting is excellent, and locating pins make sure the parts are 100% in place. Nice!

2-gear_zpsgwjog9kb.jpg

Fin is made up of 5 parts. Looks like other versions are coming (or, at least, could be done). First three parts, back of the fin fairing is separate.

3-fin_zpsdkd23v1z.jpg

A weak point of the kit: that's how the exhaust looks like! A bit disappointing as this slipped through QC. I think I will take this part from the Hasegawa kit too!

4-exhaust_zpst1spqfn3.jpg

The fuselage is made with some insets for the different versions (circeld in green). Again, fitting is excellent, amazing how the front and rear part fit together.

5-insets_zpsxzmawnx3.jpg

Dryfitting: this kit is pure joy! But today, I've discovered a mould fault: have a look at the starboard trailing edge of the wing. Ouch.

6-dryfitting_zps1he3srkq.jpg

This week hopefully the fuselage can be glued together. Any idea about the cockpit colour? I've seen different colours. Tamiya suggests X-20, which is FS16440, but Hasegawa says Gunze 308, which is FS36375...

Alex

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

cockpit is dark gull grey  FS36231 Tm XF54, Gunze H57

FS36231 is wrong.

I would go with the FS36375. F-16's have lighter cockpits than the other F series fighters. Most of the modern teen series use FS36231, but the F-16 has a lighter grey. Even the night vision compatible cockpits which have black consoles and sidewalls have FS36375 grey parts,

cheers,

Pappy

Great progress Alex, looks like a very nice kit.

You also have to think about removal of the small air intake on top of the tail base. At the time of operation Odyssey dawn the BLOSS mod in effect at some Vipers so the old ASPJ inlet was deleted.

http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25515

Erik

• Like 1

Well, it's a tricky timeframe, on some pics shortly after OD, the intake is missing, here, one is clearly showing:

And here, it's clearly missing... http://www.af.mil/News/Photos.aspx?igphoto=2000273465

here, it's missing as well. http://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album38/album70/96-0083_001  plus, the cover is freshly paint. I think I'll remove the intake.

Alex

• Like 1

It's a tricky timeframe indeed Alex. When looking at full serie of Vipers taking off I should say removal is the right choice.  

http://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album38/album70?page=96

Sorry if i'm nitpicking..

Erik

Edited by Knetterik
Missed a word
  • Like 1

hey alex... I was wondering when one of these would appear.... I was considering picking one up, especially the weaponless ones: I've got 10 million stores in the box from the hasegawa ones I've built over the years. 

Anyways.... GL, hope it goes well for you

Edited by -Neu-

welcome aboard Alex and WOW you've made great progress already!

It's a pity about the couple of mould issues, but they don't look too hard to sort out.

Well good luck with the build, I hope it's an enjoyable on and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Cool - Im lucky to have the one with weapons - just tried to order some Astra decals too to add a bit of interest. Once you know you could always let me know what you are modelling and I can do a different airframe?

The HARMS which are not included in this kit will be from a hasegawa boxing of the Viper (top). They look much better than the HARMS from the old Hasegawa weapon kit (bottom). The nose is missing the specific shape and the layout of the fins looks a bit odd. Still amazed about the size of them, they look huge compared to the AIM-120.

7-HARM_zpsxurnyr89.jpg

Tanks and AN/ALQ-131 are from hasegawa as well. Tanks from the F-16-kit, jamming pod from the weapon kit.

8-loadout_zps4lznsn4a.jpg

Some panel lines must be filled for the correct version, this is a strong sign that the kit could be fielded in other versions. The hole is for the went, which will be attached at a later stage.

9-filling_zpsbwnzvpdm.jpg

Alex

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alex said:

The HARMS which are not included in this kit will be from a hasegawa boxing of the Viper (top). They look much better than the HARMS from the old Hasegawa weapon kit (bottom). The nose is missing the specific shape and the layout of the fins looks a bit odd. Still amazed about the size of them, they look huge compared to the AIM-120.

7-HARM_zpsxurnyr89.jpg

Tanks and AN/ALQ-131 are from hasegawa as well. Tanks from the F-16-kit, jamming pod from the weapon kit.

8-loadout_zps4lznsn4a.jpg

Some panel lines must be filled for the correct version, this is a strong sign that the kit could be fielded in other versions. The hole is for the went, which will be attached at a later stage.

9-filling_zpsbwnzvpdm.jpg

Alex

Interesting,

Whats that you have removed/scratched out?

Is the vent the little box below the seat warning triangle on this pic? Are you scratch building?

b50_usaf_09.jpg

Yes and no, the vent is a separate part which is included, and the filling is mentionned in the instructions. As it's easier to fill than to rescribe, that's another sign that this kit could come in other clothes.

Alex

• Like 1

A small update - the engine is a bit a weak point. Instead of scratching something or buying some expensive AM-stuff, I printed out an exhaust photo, scaled it to the right size and glued it in the right place.

10-engine_zpst6m0aork.jpg

Inside of the tube, it doesn't show that it's just plain. Image is a bit out of focus, but you get the idea... better pictures after the inside has been painted.

11-engine2_zpshwpmdkgv.jpg

Alex

• Like 9

Thanks! for those with the same idea, I used this picture: size was roughly 11mm in diameter of the white circle.

vphh6g.jpg

Thanks to google image search!

Alex

Edited by alex
  • Like 6

First parts airbrushed with white...

12-white_zpsbl0jyls7.jpg

And after a washing with oil colour

13-washing_zpsgiua5crk.jpg

Today, I will start with the cockpit, i.e. priming the resin seat and so on...

Alex

• Like 6

Exhaust was darkened a bit with black pigments, carefully rubbed on the right place with a Q-tip. It's not that dark inside, but it was rather tricky to fotograph. You get the idea, I guess...

14-exhaust_zpsptegjtq7.jpg

And the nicely modeled wheels, after a washing.

15-wheels_zpsxm6tsllc.jpg

Alex

• Like 2

Dryfitting of the cockpit. The frame is not included in the quickboost part, and must be taken from the kit.

16-cockpit_zpsxj7fkfy7.jpg

The intake is cleverly designed as well. Fitting, once more, is excellent.

17-intake_zpsmzs671hy.jpg

And the two seats, compared side by side. It will get a washing to highlight the structures. And I'm getting old, I had to use the magnifing glass to paint it. :(

18-seat_zpskmckxoq9.jpg

Alex

• Like 3