Roman General 1/9 Bust - MMM

giemme

Hi everybody; I bought this and Johnny Johnson bust from Mitches Military Models and was impressed by the quality of the sculpt - and by the price! Excellent price to quality ratio, if you ask me.

Anyway, I decide to start this in between aircraft builds, as a sort of relaxing paint job.

So far I only cleaned up the resin, primed and airbrushed an Italeri Matt Black coat

primer

fondo nero2

fondo nero1

The resemblance with Russel Crowe in "Gladiator" is pretty evident, which is just as good because this way I have a lot of ref pics to look at, to get the right facial expression and tones.

Comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 7

Hi Ciao

I'll be sure to follow this build along as I could do with some visual tutorials on figure painting. I've got busts like yours of Tywin Lannister and Deanerys Targaryen to make but have not yet dared try as figures are not my skill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Hi Ciao

I'll be sure to follow this build along as I could do with some visual tutorials on figure painting. I've got busts like yours of Tywin Lannister and Deanerys Targaryen to make but have not yet dared try as figures are not my skill

Thanks Gimme Shelter, but don't expect quick progresses on this, as I'm also completing an aircraft build :coolio:BTW, sorry if I have generated any confusion, "ciao" is the Italian word for "bye" - Giorgio is the name

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Looking forward to seeing this one in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hey, cheers Stix - welcome on board :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

Giorgio...

I've seen the three "Gladiator" busts from Mitches, I do like the emperor bust, Pretorian purple would really make it stand out.

I've started priming with games workshop chaos black as it's self leveling and coats beautifully, then use white sprayed from the light direction, I'm not using it as a pre shade ala Ben Komets but rather to see where highlights should go.

It's a nice bust, on a par with the Young's Miniatures version.

I'll be watching.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 1

Will be watching with interest since I've got to get around to trying a 'proper' figure... bearing in mind my last ones were over 20 years ago "Odo" and "Quark" from ST DS9... I didn't really do them justice, unfortunately, and have no idea what happened to them.  :) :popcorn: 

• Like 1

Cheers Mrs.P, welcome on board. :thumbsup:  As I said earlier, don't expect quick progresses here - also because I'm off to the mountains skiing for the WE :coolio:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody; I needed a break from my Harrier build, so I cracked on with this.

First a little preparation job: I brush painted some Future on the shoulder armour, to prepare it for the metallic paint:

corazza1

Then I started painting the face: base skin tone first, airbrushed

fondo_viso1

fondo_viso2

fondo_viso3

This is the standard skin tone I always use, made mixing Lifecolor Matt Brown, Red, Yellow, Skin Tone and just a hint of Dark Blue.

Here's now a little SBS about painting the eyes; if you don't care about the process, just skip to the last pictures in this post, to see the end result.

Firstly, an off white for the eyeball (Lifecolor Gloss White with a bit of Light Grey, thinned with water and a drop of Future)

occhi1

occhi2

occhi3

Then Lifecolor Matt Black (again, thinned with water and a drop of Future) for the pupil

occhi4

occhi5

occhi6

The idea is that he's looking slightly top-right. He has blue eyes, so I painted the pupil with Lifecolor Matt Light Blue, leaving a thin surrounding black border to it:

occhi7

occhi8

I've then added some Gloss White to the Light Blue and painted some streaks from the middle of the pupil outwards:

occhi9

Then again some black for the pupil central part:

occhi10

Finally, Lifecolor Gloss White for the eye reflection:

occhi11

Everything was then sealed brushing on a Future coat:

occhi12

The eyes aren't completed per se, as I need to work on the surrounding parts, but the biggest part is done.

Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 4

Thanks Stix :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Even after just a few first stages the face is really starting to come to life

That is very much down to the quality of he sculpt; my camera would go into "Face detection" mode even with the bare resin ... :) 

Ciao

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Gimme Shelter said:

nice to see ol' Russell the Hustle has some eyes now - very nice work, enjoying this

:D Cheers mate, thanks :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update, to show that this is (slowly) progressing ...

Not very noticeable, but I completed the eyes, by painting the inner edge of the eye lids with a mix of base skin tone, matt red and gloss white (all Lifecolor). Then I added more red to the mix, thinned a lot and "washed" the inner eye corners:

occhi13

All sealed with a drop of Tamiya Gloss Clear. More progress soon, hopefully :coolio:

Ciao

• Like 2

HI everybody; a bit of a progress on this one. I've started painting the highlights on his face.

First highlight, mixing the base skin tone with a bit of Lifecolor Matt Flesh 1

Second highlight, adding more Matt Flesh 1 to the mix

and a first tie-in, mixing the first and second highlight mixes, very thinned (distilled water)

Third highlight, again adding more Matt Flesh 1

and another tie-in; likewise, I mixed the second and third highlight colors and thinned with water

Maximum highlight: for this I used Matt Flesh 1 pure, only thinned with water:

This is obviously looking very rough now, but I'm going to give it another tie-in coat and then proceed to painting shadows, which will contribute to tie in even more.

Any comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mrs PlaStix said:

wonderful, a master class! :worthy: I'm learning so much from following this :popcorn:- shame I can't do tiny!  

Cheers Mrs. P, thanks! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly progressing on this .... :snail: 

After the highlights, I brushed on a light filter, that is a very thinned mix of Lifecolor Skin Tone and an hint of the base tone:

dav

dav

dav

This has (hopefully) slightly reduced the contrast; time for shadows! The first one is a mix of base skin tone, Lifecolor Matt Brown and a drop of Lifecolor Matt Black, very thinned  - like a wash

dav

dav

dav

I actually brushed it on like a wash, insisting on the darker spots. Second shadow was given adding a bit more of black, and thinning even more; this time, I only brushed it in the darker spots:

dav

dav

dav

Final shadow: more black added, same thinning. I used a 5/0 brush for this, for the deepest crevices and corners

dav

dav

dav

The big part of face painting is completed, now I need to add some "effects" and paint his hair and beard.

Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 3

Hi everybody, a bit more progress done on this, while building the two Macchis.

Painted all the hairy parts, first with an Italeri Flat Black coat, followed by a dark brown coat (Italeri Flat Black mixed with some Italeri Flat Medium Brown)

dav

dav

dav

Then I used a mix of Lifecolor Tan and Sand Yellow, followed by the same mix lightened with some Matt Yellow and Matt white

dav

dav

dav

A black tempera wash was also applied, together with some tan drybrush only for the hair. I still need to add a few touch ups to the beard and mustache.

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Impressive painting as always Giemme. I love how much thought you put into each stage. Wonderful. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thank you! :thumbsup: Not that much thought, probably, but a lot of care to avoid overdoing, especially at this stage :winkgrin:

1 hour ago, allyby said:

I'm waiting patiently on the next update.

Thanks for popping in, allyby :thumbsup: I'm afraid you'll have to be very patient ... :shrug:

Ciao

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Will Vale said:

That's lovely work, the eyes are really luminous. Is the skin done now or are there more stages to come?

Will

Thanks Will! :thumbsup: The overall skin tone is done, but I still need to paint the lips, give more shadow to the bottom eyelids, add a red filter on his cheeks, ears and nostrils, and paint the skin imperfections. And the hair and beard still need some detail painting...

Ciao

Hi everybody, another small progress done during last WE. The face is basically completed, save a few minor touch ups.

Here we go:

dav

What I did was to touch up hair, beard and brows with a mix of Lifecolor Matt Yellow and Sand Yellow, brushing very fine lines; then I painted eyelashes with Lifecolor Matt Black, the skin imperfections with Matt Brown and the lips with a mix of Matt Red and Matt brown, first with a dark coat then with a lighter one (adding white). The darker tone was also used to paint the vertical winkles on the bottom lip.

Last thing, I used a very thinned red filter for the ears, nostrils and cheeks

dav

dav

I also tried a few pics on a darker backgorund

dav

dav

dav

I need to touch up the area under the mustache, then I can call the face done.

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 3