giemme

1 hour ago, Mrs PlaStix said:

really macho and rugged!

Yeah, Russel is a bit like that, don't you think? :D:D 

Thanks for the appreciation :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody;

sorry for the lack of updates, but my aircraft double build is keeping me very busy on the modelling front.

Anyway, I did a few touch ups to the face, and now it's done:

dav

dav

dav

So I started tackling the shoulders armour; I had previously coated it with Future; I then masked around it and airbrushed AK Interactive Extreme Metal Steel

dav

dav

This will serve as a base, then I'll have to add highlights and washes. That's it for now, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, basket said:

speechless ....

Cheers Basket, thank you :thumbsup:  Sorry for the lack of update everybody, but my double aircraft build is taking all my modelling time ...

Be back to this as soon as possible (damn', Russel keep staring at me from the workbench :analintruder: )

Ciao

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everybody;

time to revive this thread. I just completed one of the Macchi aircraft in my current double build (the C202 Folgore) and I thought I would take a short break from it and complete this bust, before resuming work on the C205 Veltro.

Anyway: not much done, but I plan to do more during this week. I painted the edges of the shoulder armor with a gold acrylic lacquer, by brush

dav

then went over it with a black tempera wash, removing the excess with a dump cotton bud, once dry

dav

More to come during next days. 

Ciao

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Good to see this one underway again Giorgio, looking forward to more!

Keith

Cheers K, thanks! :thumbsup: 

20 minutes ago, Mrs PlaStix said:

Looking majestic! Glad you're back on track - I'm trying to beat Stix in the BlitzBuild with my first (and probably last!) tank... :popcorn:

Thanks Mrs.P :thumbsup: So you're into that insane GB too? :frantic:  :D  :D 

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody; I had hoped to do a bit more on this last week, but as always, best laid plans etc etc.

I started working on the chest armor (Lorica Musculata is the name). Base color is a mix of Italeri Gloss Brass and Lifecolor Gloss White, thinned with water

dav

Apologies for this and other pics, some are slightly blurred, others ... well, it's not easy to photograph a metallic part with a phone camera (for me, at least :chair: )

Anyway, it was my first time brush painting such a large area with a metallic color, so I'm not pretending I'm showing a method or a technique here, as I'm literally making this as I go. The idea of mixing a metallic paint with a regular one is to provide some sort of worn out look; so after this first coat (it actually took three or four to get a good coverage) I added more Gloss White to the mix, to paint highlights:

sdr

Then I mixed some Gloss Brass with Flat Black and did some stippling with an old brush in the darker spots and around the decorations

dav

Said decorations were then painted with Italeri Flat Steel

dav

dav

dav

Then I added a black tempera wash - which doesn't really show up that well on photo - and a drybrush with Lifecolor Flat Natural Metal

dav

dav

dav

It will probably need more touch up when I paint all the surrounding parts, but for the moment I'm happy like this.

Any comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Some neat brushwork there G, coming on nicely! I like the worn effect you've got on the metal!

K

Cheers K, thanks :thumbsup:  That is more or less what I was after :coolio: 

Ciao

Hi everybody; slowly approaching the finish lien with this.

Time to paint the tunic; base coat is a mix of Lifecolor Matt Red and Italeri Flat Brown

dav

dav

dav

dav

I then added some red to the mix, and got this

dav

dav

Then for the highlights I added red, Matt Yellow and Matt White to the mix - and more white and yellow for the maximum highlights

dav

dav

dav

dav

For the shadows, I mixed the base coat with a bit of Italeri Flat Black, thinning it like a wash, which I applied overall - followed by another coat of darker mix (more black added), even thinner, and brushed on only in the deepest recesses

Finally, a Matt Clear coat was brushed on

dav

dav

dav

dav

dav

dav

Now Russel's the General's head is complete. I just need to paint the shoulder fringes and the waist band :pilot: 

Any comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Good stuff Giorgio, nearly there! Can I ask, when you're painting the highlights on the fabric, do you thin the paint down, or use it neat?

Keith

Thanks Keith :thumbsup:  I always thin paint when brush painting, even for the base coats; for the highlights, it's slightly thinner than the base coat - this allows for more control, i.e. finer lines or multiple coats to achieve the desired effect.

On the other hand, when I do shadows the paint mix is very thinned, almost a wash - and I use it as an overall wash or in selected spots, especially with darker shades. Hope this makes sense to you. :) 

Ciao

Hi everybody; I call this completed, here are some shots of the last stages.

Shoulder fringes: looking at pictures from the Gladiator movie, they seem to be of some sort of grey-silver color, showing a texture. To replicate that, I stippled some Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey over the black base coat

dav

dav

Then I went on with very thinned Lifecolor Light Gull Grey; here's an intermediate stage

dav

dav

And here's the end result (fringe borders re-painted black, then gold on top of them, using an acrylic lacquer; a black tempera wash was also added)

dav

dav

dav

A quick dry fit of the head on torso showed I left a little area at the base of the neck unpainted ... :chair: 

dav

So I painted it and then started with the waist band; the base coat is a mix of Lifecolor Matt Dark Blue and Matt Red

dav

Highlights done adding more red, Matt Yellow and Gloss White

dav

Eventually:

dav

dav

dav

then I glued the head in with lots of CA, and there he is: Roman General Massimo Decimo Meridio

dav

dav

dav

dav

dav

dav

dav

vistefinali9

vistefinali10

vistefinali12

RFI posted here

Any comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Excellent work Giorgio, he really looks the part (of the lead role in 'Gladiator...!! :)) Seriously, I've really enjoyed the thread & have learnt a lot for it. Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

Keith

Cheers Keith, thanks for following along :thumbsup: 

Ciao

That's a wonderful result, Giorgio - and it was interesting to follow your processes (some of which I shall probably use on the figures that I have in my stash).

Thanks for the great photos and thorough descriptions. Really enjoyed this one.

Kev

• Thanks 1