F-16A KLu 313 squadron Tigermeet 1991, Hasegawa 1/48

Very very nice painting but the underside, arrrr I am sorry to see this. Unfortunately I had the exact same thing happen one time with Gunze Aqueous thinned with Levelling thinner. I left some paint to cure for about 2 weeks, which should be long enough, then masked off and it left these crazy marks everywhere a bit like that. 

Not sure exactly how similar your problem is but I couldn't sand if off without leaving noticeable marks and anything I tried just made a mess so unfortunately I had to strip all the paint off the model. I really hope you don't have to do this as your F-16 is fantastic so far! 

I think maybe it was a bad bottle of paint for me, I have not had the problem since but it is annoying when it happens and hopefully you can fix it!

David. 

edit....If you do indeed as last resort have to remove the paint I can show you how I did if if it helps, it was my first time in doing so but it worked out well.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

Thanks David.

I also think it was a old bottle or something. The tape which was on the front part of the fuselage did not affect that paint, so i'm sure the tape is ok. Also the paint on the underside has a gloss finish but it should be satin.. 

Tonight I will try to fix it.. If it does not work out i will contact you David for your solution with removing the paint.

Erik

that is strange the way the paint went, may be it was a bit old or not mixed 100%. I had slightly similar issues when I was doing some test painting work on the drop tanks of my build. I hadn't used the Leveling solution yet, I was only using an older bottle of Gunze Acrylic with just thinners and it seemed to take forever to dry. With the leveling solution I'm using a 60/40 mix (paint to leveler/thinners), which seems to work quite well, though I've heard 50/50 is the way to go.

Hopefully you can strip it but without harming the surrounding areas. Some cotton buds & carefully applied Isopropyl alcohol will do it......that's generally what I use.   

• Like 1

Small update guys, sprayed the nose and the front of the inlet and made the tail, fod cover and centerline tank blue. Now it's time for the fading of the tail and tank. I only wonder if I will have to use black or dark blue, i.e. Midnight blue seems to be the best choise I guess;

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

Oh, and about the "damage" on the underside; It seems that the gloss finish of the paint has sticked to the tape. A gloss coat of Future should fix things,  2 mates of mine experienced the same and they both came with the Future solution. So I will try that and fingers crossed!

Erik

Edited by Knetterik
  • Like 6

gee you've achieved a really nice paint finish, she looks great!!! Glad you've found a solution to the underside pint finish, it's nice that you don't have to do any repainting! 

Good luck with the fading, it'll be interesting to see how it comes out.

• Like 1

Another update on the tail. I wasn't quite happy with the result, to much black, so I sprayed a different shade of darker blue over the black to more blend in the black and blue. Much better now I think but I'm keen to hear opinions from my fellow modellers;

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

Erik

• Like 6

thats doesn't look to bad at all, especially seeing it's a difficult job to do. The second photo of the actual isn't the best help but is there meant to be just a straight fade to the black or is there a darker blue used in the transition? I think you idea of using a second darker blue is the way to go, it does look good!

• Like 1

I think a darker blue was used to fade a bit, just like I did. I have to say that the pictures don't show how it looks like as seeing it on my workbench. Will try to make some more better pictures today. Can't wait to start decalling though!

Erik 

Edited by Knetterik
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Started decalling today and already halted to prevent a mental breakdown.... Unfortunately the age of the decals, 23 years, made them very brittle and not very responsive on Micro Sol or DACO strong... the decal for the in flight refuelling point transformed itself in 8 pieces but after some work I did manage to made it look like one piece(and it should be placed some mm's more to the front but I'm afraid to touch it again..) and on the registration bits are missing. The tiger decal will never go on properly in this state..
I think I very much need some Microscale Liquid film!! 
Or a aftermarket decal set for this Tigermeet Viper but that just does not excist..

Another problem is that on the centerline tank the MicroSol softened the coat of Future.. So a bit of work is needed there..

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

Erik

• Like 3

Chemical reactions.... be afraid of them, always! Sorry for your troubles!

Built an F-16 many many years ago , put some metallic noseweight into the -nose and glued everything together....

the next day the nose has molten!!!

By the way, your paint and decaling work look excellent!

• Like 1

Well guys, as expected, the tiger decals for the tail did not went on without a fight. Luckily Microscales liquid decal film prevented the decals from tearing but it added a extra film (offcourse) which added some thickness. So the decal need some repairing on some places. Lucky enough Hasegawa offers some extra decals in the box in case the builder did not wanted to paint the tail in blue/black which I can use as donor material. Also the decal softener again affected the coat of Future.. Never had so much trouble with decalling before...

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

And the FOD cover:

1k0.jpg

The small tiger came from the spares box, a bit more yellow than the tiger on the tail but it still looks nice.

Erik

Edited by Knetterik
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Very nice saves on the decals, Erik. I'm afraid the 30 year old decals in my Hasegawa F-16 may have similar problems. I will spray them with film as you did.

A question for you. Do Dutch F-16 not have the walkway decals on top?

They do, I just have to place them 😉

Problem is they are so brittle, already ruined one.. Even with the liquid decal film... afraid I have to search for replacements..

Erik

Finally some luck with decals! Have used walkway decals from another Hase F-16, also 23 years old decals but no tearing/disintegrating here! A bit different colour than they should be but who cares, they do the job;

1k0.jpg

Now some more decal repairing to do and after that sealing the whole girl with another coat of Future and a subtle panel wash.

Erik

Edited by Knetterik
  • Like 4