Issues with Tamiya XTra thin cement - resolved

Drift

Hmmm, 1st time ever this happens to me. Yesterday it was quite cool (16 C) and overcast. The Tamiya Xtra thin would not bond, AT ALL. I started storing my cement in the fridge when we had this heat wave. Could it be that the cement was too cold?

Edited by Drift
  • Like 1

Heat wave? How hot are we talking? My bottles of TET sit on my workbench/in a drawer through tropical Australian summers  with no problems at all.

It's possible that it's too cool, but it may also be that the dry environment of the fridge has drawn off the volatiles from the cement, rendering it unable to melt the plastic. See if it works again after it warms up. If so, you're golden. If not, you'll know not to keep it in the fridge again.

Of course there's every chance that an industrial chemist will be along PDQ to tell me that I'm stupid and wrong wrong wrong. As always, my thoughts are worth exactly what you paid for them. ;)

My work bench is in my shed in the garden and it regularly hits below 10 degrees (I have a heater on when I'm working needless to say). Despite being stored out there in such temperatures, I've never had any problems with xtra thin. Was the bottle securely capped? It's pretty volatile stuff so if not, it could have evaporated. Sorry I can't help more!

An odd one.  My workshop gets pretty cold in between heater runs in the winter, and I've never had that issue.  CA lasts longer if refrigerated, but other cements might not.  All you need to do with Tamiya Extra Thin in the hot summer is keep it capped so it doesn't all disappear into the ozone layer while you're not looking. :owww:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Drift said:

Hmmm, 1st time ever this happens to me. Yesterday it was quite cool (16 C) and overcast. The Tamiya Xtra thin would not bond, AT ALL. I started storing my cement in the fridge when we had this heat wave. Could it be that the cement was too cold?

Yesterday morning, it was -32C here. Today, it's a lot warmer. Only -19C.

Chris

• Like 2

Ok, dont I feel like a fool now. I prepped the front fuselage halve of the Mig 15 for a wash by giving it a Tamiya clear coat. The part that was giving me issues was when I want to mate the engine to the fuselage. There was some clear coat overspray that I didnt see. This is what prevented the Tamiya thin to bond.

• Like 1