Mölders 109F-1 via Zvezda

JackG

So going to attempt a backdate of the Zvezda 72nd kit, taking their F-2 to an F-1. 

Bf+109F-1+WNr.5628+1940+(B)+03.jpg

Being an aircraft flown during late 1940, the pilot needs a little fixing with the jacket in the form of a larger fur collar:

1388938931_SGGW-2.jpg

31385337463_d5cdb1a2c0_b.jpg

------------------------------

Air Master brass set 72-010 will be the only after market set used on this build.  It includes a pair of MG 17 in the cowl, and the pitot tube (will show this later when working on the wings).

31820089560_57dbf6a4c9_b.jpg

I've read in reviews a number of unnecessary seams are created because of the way the kit parts are broken down.  Above, the gun troughs are separate pieces, but a couple layers of Mr.Dissolved Putty and light sanding take care of that.  The air  intake was cast solid, so that was drilled out.  A couple other holes are added for improved detail.

32077184281_300ec31914_b.jpg

As can be seen, the machine guns were pushed into a couple wads of Tamiya epoxy putty.  Same deal with the brass tube representing the aerial wire insulation atop the fuselage.contact.   The strengthening strips on the tail need to be removed, as these were added after crash investigations, sometime near the end of February, 1941.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 6

Up next is some extensive work on the wing surfaces:

31470357724_64da2947c2_b.jpg

The kit has a central raised line on the  wing underside, which I believe should be a seam.  It isn't that dominant, somewhat similar to the seam that runs lengthwise along the top and bottom fuselage halves.  There is also some raised detail, that either didn't cast well or was just skipped.  You also get a double seam created when you mate the lower wing section to the main upper one.  Next to these are the actual engraved detail, so you have to be really careful not to lose surrounding detail when filling and sanding.

31501742193_7f526d8ba3_b.jpg

The F-1 has a prominent cover over the wing spar anchor, similar to the Emil. 

1388966527_Stab-JG51.jpg

I fashioned a pair of these out of plastic rod, cutting and sanding to size/shape.  The riveted strips were made by masking off the required areas,  and then brushing on dissolved putty.  Once dry, added some rivets with a needle.

I put two questions marks on the panel lines above.  I engraved these based on drawings found in a Kagero book, but maybe these are outdated?  When Zvezda came out with the Friedrich, some did question the lack of these, but a well known forum threw out a couple names that researched this,  and it was accepted as is.   There are few photos, but this one particularly looks to have at least the inner one:

1388945542_1006412.jpg

There is also a line (outer edge of wheel well) forming on the leading edge that looks it continues on the tops surfaces:

1388951149_150741-091041.jpg

It is possible these photos were not properly grouped, and is actually the F-4??   :hmmm:

Many photos here:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_50216_start_0.html

------------------------------------------------

Navigation lights are pretty straight forward fix. 

31935679740_4fa3b41e18_o.jpg

Will use clear parts cement at the end of painting stage to create the coloured lights.

-----------------------------------------------

32162622642_abdd26e301_b.jpg

Couple shots of finished pilot and cockpit before joining with fuselage.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

Hi Steve, thanks for those links.  That is a good reminder to keep those particular seams very light.  I believe that second link is an Emil, so not much help in the way for this F-1 build.  Drawings seem to confirm it should be a seam, from 109Lair:

f2_under.jpg

Also Britmodeller's own review of Eduard's 109 F-4 also shows the same:

.. and although not a decent quality photo, it too indicates it's a seam that is nigh visible, or at the very least is not a raised ridge.

1388942126_File0059.jpg

Should mention too, that the central seam underneath the wing being discussed here is actually off center - something that I will have to re-address on my build.  I also took a look at Zveda's 1/48 F-4.  Interesting what they did on this one.  It is off center, but they made it look like one side is over lapping the other - weird.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

Construction is pretty much complete.

32291558321_70cb129eea_b.jpg

The exhaust on the port side has a shield over the pipes, and this needs to be removed to match period photos.  The kit has no gun sight , so here is my scratch built one.  It will be attached to the canopy, as that piece has a tab that hooks into the instrument panel, exactly where this should sit.  Also added a hollow brass rod to represent tube for signal flares on the starboard side.

1388938781_SGGW-1.jpg

Along with the exhausts, the landing gear will be left separate for painting purposes, along with the prop nose.  This will be my first try at imitating an aircraft in flight without blades.

32372425316_a9c194a528_b.jpg

Another detail missing from the kit are the aileron balances  located on the wing undersides.  The brass rod is 0.3mm, while the end piece is 0.5mm plastic rod tapered at both ends, and filled out with glue to give some shape.

Up next will be masking of the canopy, followed with a spray of RLM 66 to represent the dark grey interior framing.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 4

Primer is on, now can check for blemishes ...

31662693453_c1c859cf73_b.jpg

The wing root strip pointed out above was made from plastic strip, unlike the other areas where I had masked and laid down liquid putty.  It really is prominent, and though I did sand it beforehand, it looks to need a bit more.

32433932546_fa80ee08e2_b.jpg

Test fitting the exhausts, noticed there is some further clean up required on both.  A sharp knife was used to cut out sections between each exhaust, and a little sanding afterwards,  Careful attention to rearmost one, as it becomes quite frail at it's attached end.

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Main colours blocked in:

31709925244_3d62aeed40_b.jpg

The pattern on the top surfaces is bit of a guess, with only certain areas following the shapes that were standard for the 109F, while in a few areas they looked to have been repainted in soft edge.

Kill markings and fuselage codes are home made decals - the latter is basically the silhouette of the letters, with the RLM 65 paint showing through.

31791037784_962b54c49f_b.jpg

To tie in the decals with the fuselage, I taped over the crosses and swastikas to airbrush the subtle variations around them.  Big no no that, pulling off the tape with disastrous results.

I had four markings to fix as the decals tore even though utilized narrow strips of tape, but the above was the worst of the bunch.  I've had the torn pieces soaking in water all night as they are stuck onto tape.

31791037034_6c4a50a5e4_b.jpg

The undersides also had codes, but in photos they appear to have been painted over with a darker paint - these too were made with decals.  If you look closely, you might be able to see some semblance of the individual  lettering  - SGGW.

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more detail refinement, this time with the nose cannon:

32738877502_96a9b866d0_b.jpg

Added a hollow brass rod which should sit a bit more prominent of the opening of the prop hub.  It is .9mm outer diameter and about .54mm inner - my calculations say it should be half this to be in scale, but it was all I had so went with it.

This posted  update is late in coming, mainly due to not being satisfied withe fuselage decal work.   So took another stab at them, but this time I kept it simple by only printing out a fine outline of the code letters:

32851545566_ac43728213_b.jpg

32738878532_8ff07c9ab2_b.jpg

32738878012_f627569741_b.jpg

1.) - new decals on

2.) - code letters and outlines painted over with RLM 65 with a bit of white

3.) - some further touch ups, including outside the letters, and satin coat on

regards,

Jack

• Like 3