Eduard 1:72 Spitfire IXc

At last, I've finished up the little Eduard Spitfire. This build began as part of the Mediterranean GB on this site, but got stalled midway through when I dropped the kit and had the PE instrument panel and control stick fly off into the ether. I replaced the PE with a decal, but never did find the control column, or gunsight. I replaced both with inferior pieces from an Airfix Mk.I which I culled from the herd. 

Butterfingers aside, Its a great kit. Not without its challenges (As Eduard would claim via its needlessly snarky youtube video), but what challenges are there, are easy enough to address. 

After withdrawing from the GB, I built my model as a machine flown by Slovak ace, Otto Smik, who flew with no. 312 (Czechoslovakian) squadron. Smik escaped Czechoslovakia in early 1940 and made his way to Iran, and eventually England. He began his training in late 1941 (in Canada), and began combat operations in January of 1943. He would go on to destroy 11 nazi aircraft, and three V-1 rockets. Smik was shot down in November of 1944 by AA fire while on a ground attack mission over the Dutch town of Zwolle. He was only 22 years old. 

The kit was painted with Tamiya paints. The fading effect in this photos looks far more harsh and stark than in real life. Could be due to the photography being done in bright morning sun.

IMG_20170108_100112361_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_100129363_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_100141000_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_100150409_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_100225471_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_100235992_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_100301632_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_100313551_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_100334904_HDR.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 29

What a beautiful Spitfire.  The weathering looks spot on to me.  These planes got worked hard considering their often short lives, so to speak.  A great tribute to Smik too.  I have been pondering building an aircraft flown by him.   Note to self, must try and watch Dark Blue World some time.   

• Like 1

Ha ha.  Is it the film where a slightly seedy looking gentleman chucks a made up kit into a pan of boiling water?  Presumably a comment of people's questioning the dimensions.  I must admit Eduard have come up with some interesting marketing plays over the years.  Who can forget the 'Nice tight fit' campaign.  Personally I loved it!

1 minute ago, Meatbox8 said:

Ha ha.  Is it the film where a slightly seedy looking gentleman chucks a made up kit into a pan of boiling water?  Presumably a comment of people's questioning the dimensions.  I must admit Eduard have come up with some interesting marketing plays over the years.  Who can forget the 'Nice tight fit' campaign.  Personally I loved it!

That's the one. 

I think its funny too. Especially since I did have to use hot water to warp the engine cover pieces :)

But it seems a bit on the nose. 

It does rather but it did make me laugh.  The fact that he hasn't shaved for about a week and is wearing a 'wife-beater' really adds something, I'm just not sure what though. 

On 1/9/2017 at 10:07 AM, Procopius said:

Well, off to take up knitting, then.

You're going to knit a spitfire? 

Would that make it a super-morino spitfire?

Sorry, wife is a knitter. Marino means something to that crowd. 

Edited by SoftScience
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 3Chordwonder said:

Great job. I'm in the process of building the Royal Class kits for a magazine review and my main gripe with this is the bloody tiny tiny pieces. I lost several too along the way.

I'm glad it isn't just me :D

• Like 1