Stammkennzeichen- questions on application and removal

JackG

Been  looking at Werner Molders 109F-1, and specific questions are:

1.) was the Stammkennzeichen applied with temporary black paint or regular aircraft paint?

2.) if the former, was it easily scrubbed off, or was it painted over?  If the latter, the lettering looks too crisp, unless stencils were re-applied and sprayed with the underside RLM colour?

1388938781_SGGW-1.jpg

1388938893_sggw1.jpg

1388933584_T2eC16RHJHgE9n0yFljrBROycs7Sw

-----------------------------------------------------

As I understand it, the undersides would also have these special codes applied.  Though not the best quality picture, here it looks the letters were broadly painted over (dark patches), and looks obviously different from the fuselage - perhaps a different result as it was done by different individual from the ground crew??

1388939248_291040.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
correction

I've always read it that the codes were applied through a stencil, their size determined in relation to the size of the Balkenkruez they were applied next to. They should also have been applied with a washable black paint maybe similar to 7120.22 which was the washable removable night camouflage 

Tim.

• Like 1

Thanks Tim, it makes sense with this confirmation of  washable black paint. 

On the underside, possibly the brushed on RLM 65 was contaminated with some of the residual black, or is just the photo quality, unsure ...

regards,

Jack

Stammkennzeichen were to be applied in washable paint and removed on arrival at final destination "without delay". The unit accepting the aircraft was to inform the delivery plant, aircraft office or air park whence the aircraft came that this had been done within three days.

Since the codes were applied at official establishments they usually did follow the correct formula regarding size. Those above certainly look correct (without breaking out the ruler).

Height of letter 6/10 size of Balkenkreuz.

Width of letter 4/10 size of Balkenkreuz.

Thickness of letter 1/10 size of Balkenkreuz.

Spacing, 2/10 size of Balkenkreuz.

For those placing decals or masks it would be worth noting that the centre line of the height of the letters was the centre line of the Balkenkreuz. It was to run parallel to the horizontal line of flight, NOT to the fuselage centre line.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Steve, now that is great set of guidelines for the lettering - thanks very much!

Would the stencil style (font) be the same as those used for regular  fuselage codes?  I need to make my own decals for a current project, and although I did find a suggested download font  Blockschrift für Flugzeuge, the letters don't quite match those of the photo in my first post above.

Here is a comparison with S and G taken from Xtradecal Stuka sheet.  Again the letter style looks close, but not exact to the period photo.

31400923873_41d4f34a4a_o.jpg

The W looks fine, but the other two need a bit of refinement to make a more exact match.

regards,

Jack

Jack, I'll PM you some relevant stuff. It's difficult to explain the letters without the diagrams :)

I think these codes were applied by brush, marked out, in the traditional method of sign writers. I don't know if any form of stencil was used. I've seen images of even the national markings being applied by a sign writer with his maul stick, as well as the later, simplified, versions being sprayed through a stencil mask.

There was bound to be some variation in the detail of the letters, though the guidelines I've sent you should have been followed.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Stonar

Steve, thank you for the pm, the further visual aid helps immensely.  The letters you sent actually appear to be virtually identical to the Blockschrift für Flugzeuge font I mentioned earlier.

Now the fact that these letters were hand painted on, this explains the slight variation I see when comparing with Molders' 109F-1. 

31391467764_dff703f0bb_b.jpg

The G was an easy fix.  The top arm had the end cut about a 45 angle, while mid arm is lowered ever slightly.  The letter as a whole could be made a bit narrower to match the Molder photo.

The S is another story, but basic size looks fine.  Both top and bottom arms have a blockier curve shape compared to the official letter style.  Also, the arm ends have a bit more length to them, and the angle of cut at the ends is less than 45 degrees, or at least less than the G.

I think I have it all sorted out.  Just have to match the letter sizes to the decal  cross markings.  Again, thanks for all the input.

regards,

Jack