Airfix 1/72 Lancaster II LL716 A2-G, 514 Sqn

Simon

On 1/9/2017 at 5:21 PM, dogsbody said:

I think it's all well and good the some folks are adding maps to navigator tables, but is this historically accurate? I'm pretty sure that any Nav who left a map in their aircraft would be in for a severe talking to by their commanding officer. Wartime security and all that.

Chris

On 1/9/2017 at 5:46 PM, Simon said:

No, you're of course right, it's probably not correct. I might put something else there in its place - a manual or two maybe.

And no, CedB, it's not an ashtray, it's sometjhing I saw in a couple of photos of R.A.F. Navigators at their stations - a compass maybe? Mine's a bit too big, scale-wise:

bfm04.jpg

That would be the navigators 'Dalton computer' used  for complex maths in determining speed and course deviation . . . 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mancunian airman said:

That would be the navigators 'Dalton computer' used  for complex maths in determining speed and course deviation . . . 

Thanks for that - I've seen them in a few photos, and never knew what it was for.

Simon

Another great Lancaster build to follow along with if you don't mind. I have a couple to build my self very soon so need to get acquainted with this type of build. Looking forward seeing this come to fruition.

Bob

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

When I learned to fly before the world of sat nav, that's how you planned your routes!

Me too. When I started my PPL I went to the airfield shop to buy my essentials, you know, cool flight bag, chinagraph etc. When I asked for a nav computer (like a round slide rule) the manager asked what I wanted it for. "To calculate my drift from course, of course". He quickly pointed out that the wind speeds given by the Met blokes were 'advisory' and suggested I follow the roads and other landmarks. Visual Flight Rules, OK!

Hope you don't mind the thread drift Simon. Nice 'Dalton computer'!

• Like 2

Like the fire extinguisher, may have to plagiarise seek inspiration from that for my build. What does is for me though is the period newspaper (local issue) and the magazine; and in particular the way it hangs over the edge of the table. Lovely touch.

3 hours ago, Col. said:

By cigarette? :blink:

:fool:

Lol,

was that series years ago called 'tales of the golden monkey' with a Grumman Goose? He smoked a cigar and had to give it a smack to start! That's my ideal life if I win the lottery, living on an island with a sea plane to get around.....so not cigarette, but cigar :lol:

• Like 1

So, a quick update for today. I've added some bits to the starboard cockpit side. There seems to be a boxed in section running along the bottom part on the photos I've seen, so this and the handrail are now added:

Lancaster-II-22

These have been painted up, and I've also added a small lamp for the Flight Engineer's panel, as well as his backrest

Lancaster-II-25

Lancaster-II-23

Next up is adding some detail to the Bomb Aimer's poistion. First up I've scratch-built an F24 camera and its red frame:

Lancaster-II-26

and this has been placed in position:

Lancaster-II-28

Not sure how much you'll see of it though...:whistle:

I'm busy with some more odds and ends for the Bomb Aimer position, so more soon.

Regards

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 14

On 1/11/2017 at 8:19 AM, Mancunian airman said:

Interesting little gadget: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E6B

I've always wondered where they put the carrier pigeon hutches in the aircraft:

Avro_Lancaster_pigeons_WWII_IWM_TR_193.j

RAF_Liberator_pigeons_WWII_IWM_CH_12364.

• Like 2

Coming along well Simon. Hand rail and camera look superb

23 minutes ago, Simon said:

Not sure how much you'll see of it though...:whistle:

Who cares, you know it's there! Oh yeah and so do we now....

Hi Simon,

Really enjoying your thread and wonderful work so far plus the fabulous education on building my MKII as a tribute to my late Farther who on them with on two of the squadrons using these magnificent machines as flight engineer.

I am utterly terrible at math unfortunately, so if you have the dimensions of your scratch built hand rail to share, I would be very grateful indeed. I'm actually quite surprised Eduard did not include it in the interior set after investing my beer tokens on the set. But hey ho.

Any help gratefully received. Cheers  

On 12/01/2017 at 6:38 PM, picard said:

Hi Simon,

Really enjoying your thread and wonderful work so far plus the fabulous education on building my MKII as a tribute to my late Farther who on them with on two of the squadrons using these magnificent machines as flight engineer.

I am utterly terrible at math unfortunately, so if you have the dimensions of your scratch built hand rail to share, I would be very grateful indeed. I'm actually quite surprised Eduard did not include it in the interior set after investing my beer tokens on the set. But hey ho.

Any help gratefully received. Cheers  

This any good? Dimensions are an 'educated guess'.

lancaster-handrail

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 7

That's very good of you indeed to answer my query so soon Simon and just what I have been after kind sir. Brilliant.  

Many thanks indeed, and looking forward to your next post. Which Squadron have you chosen by the way, or are you going with one of the kit's selections? Cheers      

More great work on the internals Simon, impressive. Now we're all wondering if you'll resist the temptation to include the pigeon cages :wicked: 

• Like 1

So, a box arrived from Airfix this morning - about 6 inches long, 2 inches square. Great, here's my replacement bombsight and upper starboard wing. Inside was this:

Lancaster-II-29

:doh:

Here's a photo of the Mk.XIV next to its computer (photo from the web):

t1.jpg

and here's the Airfix one, next to the Computer included in the Eduard set, complete with a frame I made for it:

Lancaster-II-31

The kit's bombsight looks a tad under-sized, to say the least...oh well, something else to scratch-build!

Regards

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 7

So, after a thoroughly cold and miserable afternoon yesterday watching Sunderland get plonked by Stoke City, I thought I'd give myself some modelling therapy and get back to the Lancaster.

I've had a go at making some new bombsights. I always make two of everything, as the second one sometimes comes out better than the first go. Also I'll probably be making another Airfix Lanc at some stage so I'll need another anyway. So, here are my two, which I hope are bit more to scale:

Lancaster-II-36

Lancaster-II-35

Now that's done I've added the bombsight computer to the fuselage:

Lancaster-II-34

Next up I thought I'd start on the four turrets, starting with the rear FN20. Having made the older Airfix kit and the Revell Lancaster I'm a bit more prepared than I might otherwise have been for some dretailing work. Anyway, here's what I've managed to get done so far:

Lancaster-II-32

Lancaster-II-33

The way the turret parts have been broken down, combined with the very tight fit of the glazed front to the base make things a bit more difficult, but I think once it's all painted and put together it should be okay. I've got some Quickboost gun barrels too, as the kit ones look a little to thick.

On to the nose turret next, so more soon...

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 12