Airfix 1/72 Lancaster II LL716 A2-G, 514 Sqn

Simon

Hello again

Apologies for the lack of progress on the build, but I'm not able to get any time on the workbench for various reasons at the moment.

However I've just been reading about the upcoming PhotoBucket apocalypse, so I've found alittle time to re-link the images throughout the thread via Flickr - hopefully this will work okay...!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

The images look fine to me Simon and seem, if anything, to be a little 'crisper'?

Looking forward to the next update, when you're ready :) 

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

The images look fine to me Simon and seem, if anything, to be a little 'crisper'?

Looking forward to the next update, when you're ready :) 

Odd, isn't it? I've re-linked three picture-heavy threads on here with links from Flickr replacing the PB ones, and they do seem to be of higher quality - even thought they're exactly the same images on my hard drive. Maybe PB samples them down more the Flickr...?

Hope to have some more updates soon. And not just pictures of the Lancaster... :whistle:

Simon

• Like 1

Just spent a worthwhile couple of hours going through the thread from start to finished and  love what you have done, well done so far, Simon, she's looking amazing (not a word I try to use too much but seems I use it a lot on BM!)

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm back with another update. Once again, apologies for the long delay in progress reports, but that's mostly because there hasn't been any for a while...!

So, on with the update. Turrets are all now done, with some nice Quickboost gun barrels added, and they are all installed.

Front turret:

Lancaster-II-179

Mid-upper:

Lancaster-II-180

and tail turret:

Lancaster-II-184

Note the 'Monica' aerial. This was a right royal pain the the proverbials, but looks the part. Here it is before fitting:

Lancaster-II-183

I've also done a crew ladder for the rear door. Not much sense in having it open if no one can get in or out!

Lancaster-II-185

That's the Lancaster pretty much done and dusted. Now I need to put it in a setting, so I've made a base like the one I did for my Italeri Stirling, and started on some extras to add some interest. First up is a conversion of the Bedford MWD from the Airfix Bomber Resupply Set, as a tea van. I've done one of these previously, based on the Airfix Austin K2, so knew pretty much what to do:

MWC-YMCA-08

MWC-YMCA-10

I've also done a 'civvy' version of Ace's 1/72 Austin Tourer, which is now an R.A.F. pilot's little runaround:

ACE-Austin-tourer-01

ACE-Austin-tourer-02

I've got some figures ready for painting, but some more are on the way, so more news when they arrive...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 13

The Lanc is beautiful but the NAAFI van is a little gem in it's own right. In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that it is a potential competition winner.

Martian

On 1/9/2017 at 0:46 PM, Simon said:

No, you're of course right, it's probably not correct. I might put something else there in its place - a manual or two maybe.

And no, CedB, it's not an ashtray, it's sometjhing I saw in a couple of photos of R.A.F. Navigators at their stations - a compass maybe? Mine's a bit too big, scale-wise:

bfm04.jpg

Did you ever figure out what that object is? I believe that I know. It's a Dead Reckoning Computer like this one:

35998746772_9583153253_z.jpgNav Computer 1a Large by Russell Taylor, on Flickr

or maybe this one

1fj5hpc_2eou_l.jpg

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Did you ever figure out what that object is? I believe that I know. It's a Dead Reckoning Computer like this one:

Thanks for the photos VMA. I had an idea that was what it was, but couldn't find a photo.

And thanks for the kind words everyone. Much appreciated!

Regards

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update for today.

The figures have arrived,s o i've been busy getting them painted up. These are mostly from Gunthwaite Miniatures - the R.A.F. officers are actually R.N. officers but don't tell anyone...! ;)

Lancaster-II-186

I'm also working on a couple more vehicles, including a companion for the Austin. This is the B.S.A. M20 from Airfix's Bomber Command Resupply Set, 'civilianised' as a 1939 model:

Lancaster-II-187

Lancaster-II-188

As well as a civvy paint scheme, I've added the rear number plate braket and tail light.

I particularly liked the figure who's bending down, from the Gunthwaite set 

GM72-026, so thought he could be taking a look at the bike:

Lancaster-II-190

I'm busy with a couple more vehicles, so will post another update when they're done.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

A final update - all done now, so I've posted a new thread in the 'Ready for Inspection' forum here:

Thanks for all the messages during the build everyone, I'm very grateful for everyone's help and encouragement.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4