Tears were once my only way back home (1/72 Eduard Spitfire IXs)

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

I have to say that the original Prokopios' 'Secret History' is not to be taken too literally, as it is basically the work of an aggrieved employee (of the Emperor Justinian, in this case, whose visage appears in mosaic form in a slightly earlier post). Sorry for the history lecture, but Byzantine (and Roman) History are favourites of mine.

I mean, obviously not too literally, he claims Justinian was a demon who could remove his head. (Most historians agree this was unlikely.) But at the same time, he would have certainly been executed (and probably tortured) if the Secret History had been discovered, which to me suggests it was based to some extent in truth or what he believed to be true. 

• Like 1

You mean Justinian couldn't remove his head!? I would hazard to guess, PC, that this is one of the few threads on any modelling site where the question of a Byzantine emperor's ability to remove his head has cropped up.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Learstang said:

I would hazard to guess, PC, that this is one of the few threads on any modelling site where the question of a Byzantine emperor's ability to remove his head has cropped up.

Britmodeller: Your preferred source for pipe-puffing erudition with a slice of modelling.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

... he claims Justinian was a demon who could remove his head...

I have a couple of questions... 

1. How do you even find out you can do this in the first place?
  2. Aside from being a fairly impressive party trick, what benefits would this talent confer?

:D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Just now, Stew Dapple said:

Aside from being a fairly impressive party trick, what benefits would this talent confer?

Well, in a foot race, you could fling it well along the course before any other runner had gotten going, granting yourself a head start.

...I'm sorry. This only started happening after I became a father.

2 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

How do you even find out you can do this in the first place?

I'm betting puberty. Anything to make those teenaged years even more awkward.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Procopius said:

...I'm betting puberty. Anything to make those teenaged years even more awkward.

I think it might just have been one of those things:

"Well I don't really know, I was just scratching it and it came off in my hand"

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

On 1/14/2017 at 11:29 PM, Procopius said:

In tonight's issue of Poor Design Choices, Eduard Edition, there's a tiny plastic pole connecting two of the frames in the cockpit, with, naturally, a HUGE sprue gate dead in the center of it, ensuring it will never not look like crap. I cut up a pin and used that instead:

I used a very small bit of plastic rod, forgotten the size but it's sat in a primed state while I decide how best to paint all the stripes and other colors. 

Finally caught up on all the reading...wasn't prepared for the history lesson and truly enjoy it all!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

The word to picture ratio is looking pretty shakey just now I reckon Pete. :D

21 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Ahem, wasn't there a model build around here somewhere?

Sorry to disappoint you, gentlemen. I had a friend in from out of town today, so not much got done, just finished masking the canopies and sprayed the interior green over them. That's pretty much it as it stands. Need to clean up the undersides a bit, then primer.

Also. Also. Also! I think I found my D-Day stripe masking tape. 3M's 06525 1/4" Precision Masking Tape. Mine arrived today. It feels like Tamiya tape, if slightly tackier. A quick adhesion test on a completed model did no damage to the paintwork and failed to lift a (sealed-in) decal. It is very slightly wider than 6mm Tamiya tape, so I'm 99% certain it really is the 6.35mm 1/4" should be. I'm very excited.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Sorry to disappoint you, gentlemen. I had a friend in from out of town today, so not much got done, just finished masking the canopies and sprayed the interior green over them. That's pretty much it as it stands. Need to clean up the undersides a bit, then primer.

Also. Also. Also! I think I found my D-Day stripe masking tape. 3M's 06525 1/4" Precision Masking Tape. Mine arrived today. It feels like Tamiya tape, if slightly tackier. A quick adhesion test on a completed model did no damage to the paintwork and failed to lift a (sealed-in) decal. It is very slightly wider than 6mm Tamiya tape, so I'm 99% certain it really is the 6.35mm 1/4" should be. I'm very excited.

It's OK really, we don't mind too much, especially when we get rewards like the 3M tape tip. Carry on. :D

Steve

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Learstang said:

PC, you are thrilled by masking tape. You truly are a member of the modelling fraternity! Welcome, brother!

At last! SAMI here I come!

• Like 6

BM; the only modelling site where you will see "people-eating tyrant" in Greek (my computer skills do not stretch to writing "demophagon turannon" in proper script, unlike our Procopius).  I knew that Greek A level would come in useful one day; it only took 39 years!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

(my computer skills do not stretch to writing "demophagon turannon" in proper script, unlike our Procopius)

Oh, I had to copy/paste -- I read the translation and quite liked it, but went with the original to class up the ol' sig line. 

• Like 3

Just now, Pete in Lincs said:

Just sounds like todays special to me.

Does it come with rice or pasta?

:(

Since it means "man-eating tyrant", I think it comes with hoi polloi.

• Like 9